“Unforgetable introduction to safari/South Africa - Rassie rocks!”
Review of Kapama River Lodge

Kapama River Lodge
New York City, New York
“Unforgetable introduction to safari/South Africa - Rassie rocks!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed in Kapama from 27 Dec-30th Dec'13 and our ranger, Rassie came to pick us up at the airport in Hoedspruit. Arriving from NY, we didnt know what to expect but we were blown away by the service at Kapama, amazing safaris and even the food that was served for all the meals.

A big thank you to the entire staff but definitely Rassie - our ranger and Magnum - our checker for making it so special. We saw four of the big fives during our six safaris but really the safari was more than the big fives. It was learning about the little creatures, the trees, the birds, the weather, the real forrest and a ton of animals that we saw up close. Our ranger was extremely knowledgable, our checker helped spot animals by just looking at their footprints. It rained on a couple of safaris but that didnt stop the experience - they gave us ponchos and even though you still get wet, it was a completely different experience. Definitely an adventure with the vehicle slipping off-road but I am glad that we got to experience it.
The rooms are five star hotel standards and you can see Impalas from the bath - crazy I know! Makes us want to jump on a plane and get back to Kruger. We are definitely going back to SA in a few years and doing a lot more safaris.
I would recommend Kapama any day and I hope you get Rassie to show you around - it will be worth every buck and you will remember it for the rest of your lives! Attaching a few pics to give you a flavor of what I am talking about :)

1 Thank PoojaSe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bangalore
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I chose Kapama River Lodge for our introductory trip to Kruger National Park this year. The place was recommended to us by our agent, and the place was everything we expected from a resort at a private reserve. Some of the rooms are less spectacular than the others, clearly, so we'd suggest you insist on river views if you can. The attempt to turn the dinners into camp-style 'get to know each other' meals was amusing at first but we actually ended up meeting some lovely people from all over the world, so we suggest you play right along with the suggested schedule!
We were particularly impressed by our ranger Kim and our tracker Rogers - they were both fantastic at what they do and were always in good humour. We had some amazing sightings, including cheetahs in the grass. We also really enjoyed the bush walk with rangers Kim and Clive - we learned a lot about the bush, and for beginners, it was great to have local guidance in understanding more about Kruger.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Wonderful hotel, with perfect structure that will make you doubt you are in the middle of the reserve. Very good food, and great and friendly staff and huge and comfortable rooms. The guys from the game drive (driver and tracker) were simply amazing, and were really into the game, trying to give their best to find the animals. We found the big five and much more!! Staff in the restaurants were also so considerate and courteous, knowing your name and your preferred drinks. Everything was so perfect that made the days in the reserve to be forever unforgettable to us. Thanks Kapama, we will be back some day!

Room Tip: for what I´ve seen, all the rooms are great, In the ground, you can be luck and while in the bathro...
1 Thank Luciinthesky303631
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This hotel is amazing! When I entered the room and saw the view of the African savannah, I realized I was in a magical place. Our ranger Jacques and our tracker Willis, were awesome people and very helpful. The decor of the hotel is very nice and all very integrated with the local beauty. The food and vibe are great.

2 Thank Adriano B
Reviewed January 6, 2014

amazing hotel. attentive staff. spa rooms very comfortable and special details such as bath salt, umbrella at the door for possible rainy days. The hotel spa is beautiful and amazing massage.
excellent value for money. My only "bad experience" is about the transfer from the airport to the hotel because it was raining and they did not provide a closed car for transportation.
wifi works perfectly in the whole hotel.
recommend hosting other guests.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SamBarbieri
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My first experience in South Africa was at the Kapama Private Game Reserve – River Lodge. It was an excellent choice for our introduction into this very special lifetime experience of going on safari.

We arrived at Hoedspruit airport about 2pm and where else do you get picked up at the airport in an open safari vehicle! Awesome! Every time you come and go from the lodge you are on safari, we saw many animal sightings every time we went to an activity, another lodge or to/from the airport. Even on the airport runway there were vervet monkeys. The small Hoedspruit (Eastgate) airport reminded me of some of the small airports in Hawaii or the South Pacific.

When you check into the lodge it is very common to sit in big comfy sofas as a member of the reception staff explains the safari schedule, the meal schedule, activities and generally how things work. Then they give you your keys to your suite, tent or often a thatched chalet. I was travelling with my sister, as we were taking a short vacation before we met our group in Cape Town and lead a trip across South Africa. During this meeting at Kapama we were mixed in with a large group from the USA who were only staying for one night. My horror, I was so thankful we were at this beautiful place for 4 glorious days. I guess 1 night is better than nothing but you really need a minimum of 3 nights to fully soak in where you are and the magic and the atmosphere and all the things these types of lodges have for you to do. We did find out later that they could only come for 1 night due to bookings, so book early to not be disappointed. The Kapama River Lodge is the largest lodge in the greater Kruger area, it seemed to be full to capacity, especially at safari time and dinner time when everyone gathered. Otherwise, it was so spread out that even though it was full or near full it was quiet seemed empty. River Lodge has about 64 rooms and spa suites, even though it is large by safari lodge standards it is still less than 150 guests max.

SAFARI: All of our Safaris with Kapama were nothing short of magic. Even while we were driving around I would be thinking to myself…”this is unbelievable”. Our ranger was Harry and our tracker was Eric. Harry was our protector, you always felt you were in very capable hands yet, he is probably one of the most gentle souls I have ever met. Eric was fun and very cute more of a character! They were a fantastic team. On the usual safari activities we saw tons of wildlife and at least one excellent sighting, such as a female Lion & her cubs nursing, or being surrounded by a herd of active elephants and then the ever so sought after lions actively hunting! This is why you need a few days. Three nights give you 6 game drives (one in the morning and one at night). You certainly have the possibility of seeing the Big 5 (Lions, Leopards, Rhinos, Cape Buffalo & Elephant) as well as lots of birds, giraffe, zebra. Being there at the end of November and into December brought especially rich bird sightings and tons of babies of all the mammals. It is greener and there more foliage at this time of year but the animal babies were amazing. Each season has its pros and cons. The safari vehicles were open with a possible 10 seats, on some game drives we did have a full vehicle. We were very lucky to have great safari mates that made sure everyone could see, take photos at the sightings and rotate seats. Harry also made sure each side of the vehicle got a good sighting at each photo op (which seemed to be every 2 minutes!).

ROOMS: I find that right away I can walk into a hotel room and either feel, excited, impressed, immediately comfortable, let down or eck! When I walked in I was somewhere between excited and immediately comfortable. Exactly where I wanted to be after the long flight from Canada. The room was classic safari with lots of wood trim, stone floors and a big leather club chair by two large doors leading to the terrace where a family of Nyala (antelope) were grazing peacefully outside our door, nice! The beds were my ever so appreciated white puffy duvets and two large pocket doors led into the huge bathroom. Where there was a large glass shower stall, separate loo, two sinks, a huge soaker tub in front of a picture window that you could open up to have only screens. Thank you for this room…. It was always nice to come home to.

FOOD: Meals were plentiful and meal time was never a long wait at Kapama. Our dining ‘Ranger’ was Amos and he was a true gem. He was so attentive, friendly and always was there to specially greet me into the dining room. He will always make me smile when I think of him and look at his picture. He is a great ambassador for Kapama. The venues were both very nice. There was an outdoor boma (barbeque) dining room as well as a beautiful main dining room that had both indoor and outdoor seating. Both had the true African feeling you are looking for on safari in terms of décor and were also always clean and appetizing. The food was high quality, delicious and a good amount of choice without being so daunting that you over ate if you wanted to try most items (a usual buffet disadvantage). I tried my first warthog, bobotie and pap. The fresh breads and soups were also worth a special note. All of our meals were served buffet style, but again, they were nicely done and excellent quality and choice. Usually buffet is not something I enjoy and I did enjoy the meals at Kapama.

ACTIVITIES: There lots of activities that could keep energetic guests very busy. We didn’t get to the spa or even the pool but we did take advantage of Camp Jabulani and the endangered species centre. Camp Jabulani is an on-site centre where you can go meet African elephants! Yes, the mighty and beautifully huge African elephants! You can use one of your game drive mornings and do your safari from the heights of elephant back!! This was a splurge but worth every penny. The elephants there are gorgeous and very well looked after. They were all orphaned or rescued from negative situations. They explain all about how the camp started at the safari orientation and ‘meet the elephants’ part of the morning.

Everyone was at least middle aged like me and up in age so it is not just for the young. A few guests had bad knees and had slight mobility disadvantages and they were up on those elephants enjoying this chance of a lifetime. The elephants had very nice purpose built saddles and they were very comfortable for us to sit atop, they had stirrups for stability and handles to hold onto. There were two guests plus a handler on each elephant. They brought them around to a platform where these absolutely huge elephants were loaded and then you were off. The ride was at least an hour.

It was about a 20 min drive to get there from River Lodge. We were lucky to have an off-duty Ranger ‘Jacks’ to drive us, as we had to go during our usual game drive time so Harry was occupied, and Jacks showed us many great general mammal, bird and insect sightings on the way. Any guest would be so lucky to have him as a Ranger as well. He was extremely passionate about the safari experience and full of descriptive stories. If he was your ranger you would have a truly amazing experience.

While at Kapama, they were very hospitable and showed us around to the other lodges in this private game reserve, they were the; the small and intimate Buffalo camp, serene Southern Camp and the newest & exquisite Karula Lodge. They were all fantastic and fit into different demographics perfectly. These three lodges were probably located more into the game-rich areas of the huge reserve, so animal sightings directly from these lodges were very possible and we saw some even during our short visits.

We were very happy at our home at Kapama River Lodge. For our needs and this trip Kapama River Lodge was the perfect choice for two single girls looking for adventure. It was my first safari experience in Africa and it was absolutely amazing. Everyone was enjoying themselves. The food, rooms, public spaces and full safari experience was all at an equal high (5 star) standard. Some of the other game reserved we visited (fenced and unfenced) during our trip to South Africa had better points as well as lower points so I give them 5/5 for the best all-round safari experience of the four lodges we visited on this trip. You won’t be disappointed. Thanks Mandy and Harry and all our favorites at Kapama River Lodge! We will return.

Room Tip: I think we were just in a regular room and it was fantastic. The spa rooms are a little more expens...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Nancy Z
Atlanta
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited South Africa on vacation. I have visited many countries and continents; however, this is my favorite resort I have ever stayed in. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are amazing. The views could not be beat! When we were shown to our room, the concierge told us not to worry if a giraffe stuck it's head on our balcony. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. You are assigned a game driver and he knows your name when he picks you up from the airport. We had John as our guide and could not have been more pleased. On the game drives, he went out of his way to make sure we saw our favorite animals. On our last game drive, my boyfriend and I were the inky ones and we spent four hours tracking down a heard of elephants. By hour three we were all a little slap-happy, but it just made it better! He was also not afraid of off roading, which I thought was great! Not only was John very knowledgeable about the grounds and the animals, he also talked with us about his life and the culture of the city we were in. Being a teacher, I had lots of questions about the schools and he answered every question I had. I could not have asked for a better guide. If I ever get back to South Africa, I would love to stay at this resort again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 20 in Balule Nature Reserve
Elandela Private Game Reserve
Elandela Private Game Reserve
#59 of 174 in Kruger National Park

Been to Kapama River Lodge? Share your experiences!