Kapama Karula was truly one of the most amazing experiences. We were first greeted by one of the rangers at Hoedspruit aiprort, then taken by jeep to the lodge. We were taken back by the true luxury and serene environment from the second we drove into the grounds. We were welcomed by many of the rangers and staff with refreshing drinks and then shown to our room. Our suite was absolutely stunning and had an expansive balcony that overlooked the river below and opposite reserve. The room was open plan with a large lounge area, fireplace, amazing bed and bedroom area and an extraordinary bathroom and outdoor shower. There were Nespresso, tea and snack facilities, with the fruit bowl and water replenished with daily housekeeping and turndown services.
We were fortunate to see all of the big five on our first full day of game drives, plus the cheetah and hyena. Collin was our ranger who was very skilled and knowledgeable and went above and beyond to track all the animals we wanted to see. Solly, our tracker, was brilliant at finding tracks and led us to some pretty amazing finds. Some of our most exciting experiences were going "off road", knocking down trees to trail the big cats, seeing lions and a rare albino elephants calf with her family, going off-road looking for a male leopard and zooming down the dirt roads at dusk to catch the big cats some other jeep had found. Collin and Solly were truly lucky as we would be the first on many occasions to find certain animals especially the female cheetah, hyena and the male dominant lion and lioness who had been tracked by other rangers for hours. We also did the daytime bush walk with ranger Omega, which was great a great way to experience the Savannah.
Johan was our designated waiter for our stay who offered great service, and attending to our every dining need. On two nights we were lucky enough to have dinner in the outside boma which included a braai (BBQ) on one occasion where we ate game including Wilderbeast, Impala and Kudu. You were constantly being fed at Kapama. When you woke up before the morning drive you had tea and coffee with pastries and yoghurt, while on the game drive we stopped and had tea and coffee with pastries, then after the game drive it was breakfast, then lunch, then high tea before the afternoon game drive, while on the game drive we stop and enjoyed sundowners which included an alcoholic drink and snacks, then dinner. You will never go hungry in this place however be prepared to bring a pants in a bigger size. All food was amazing and the high tea and dinner options changed every night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the banks of the perennial Klaserie River is one of Kapama's most secluded and prestigious safari camps named Karula. Karula means "place of peace" in the native tongue, and soon after your arrival you will know exactly why this name is just so perfect for this magnificent luxury safari camp. Peace is but one of the many emotions that will encompass your soul as you look at the serene waterway meandering gently past your doorstep and the age old saying "water is life" will begin to have a whole new meaning for you. The open plan lounge and bar area, with floor to ceiling glass doors illustrates the perfect balance with elegant light colors. This modern building with its whitewashed wooden structure, skylights and open air bar, creates a cozy feel to the lounge and makes it a day time favorite to enjoy a drink or just sit back and enjoy the sights Karula has to offer. The contemporary yet African feel to the camp will satisfy and exceed the expectations of even the most discerning connoisseurs. The outside wooden deck overlooking the Klaserie river gives you the opportunity to enjoy the tranquil atmosphere and magnificent vistas the camp has to offer. Karula Library & Media Room boasts some of the best audio visual equipment but doubles as a library where you can read a good book in a breathtaking environment, or just take in nature's views through the massive sliding windows. Keep in touch with family and loved ones at one of the two dedicated guest internet stations with WiFi on tap and free of charge. A private, romantic fireplace dinner can also be arranged with the camp personnel, and in a modern romantic setting like this, the answer can only be "Yes". Kapama Karula has twelve superior suites, each exquisitely decorated and with generous private space. Two of the superior suites are purpose-built for families. Each suite also has a private outside deck and a large swimming pool, which is heated in the chillier months for year-round swimming. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Kapama Karula reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kapama Karula Hotel Kapama Private Game Reserve
- Kapama Karula Kapama Private Game Reserve, South Africa