Had 2 nights at Karula in tent 7 (Deadwood) - this was part tent, part chalet and extremely well presented.
Kapama Reserve is split into several camps, for example; Buffalo Camp, River Lodge, etc and the entrance to Karula is at the main gate on the R40, where you are greeted by a guard and sign some paperwork. We had a short wait here as the guard took a personnal call on his cell phone, before the gates were opened and we made our way along the well sign-posted dirt road to Karula. Here you are treated to a mini-safari as the animals roam free enroute to the camp
On arrival at camp we were greeted by Sarah who showed us to our accommodation and made us feel very welcome. Lunch was available on arrival, although it was only 45 minutes to afternoon tea, so we declined, opting to return for the afternoon tea before the p.m. game drive.
The tent was extremely spacious with AC and heating (as required), a mini bar fridge, king bed, seating area and writing desk in the tented area - with large dressing area, double wardrobe with slippers and robe, hairdryer and safe, opening on to the bathroom with huge bath, 2 sink units and outdoor shower in the chalet area. Just beautiful.
Out side was a decked area over looking the river with seating area. Here the monkeys roamed free, such a delight.
Wake up calls at 5.30am start your day, as you make your way to the breakfast area for coffee, fruit, muffins, etc. prior to the 3 hour game drive. On return a buffet/menu breakfast is served before leaving you free til lunch at 1-2pm. Afternoon tea then starts at 3.30pm followed by your 2nd game drive taking you into the evening and back to camp around 7pm. Dinner i think was served about 7.30/8pm
The camp is the epitome of luxury and one of the highlights of our 2 week holiday. Although I was not impressed with Kruger NP itself, as we have been spoilt by several amazing visits to Etosha NP in Namibia, the experience and luxury at Karula was amazing. Our only critisism would be the game drives as we felt when any animals were found after tracking (particulary the cats), there was an order you had to follow with the vehicles and prior to this we felt like we were just driving round killing time.
Other than that the camp is small and exclusive, with a get away from it all feel, tasty food and wonderful communal areas. Somewhere anyone would want to return.
Thank you for a great time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the banks of the perennial Klaserie River is one of Kapama's most secluded and prestigious safari camps named Karula. Karula means "place of peace" in the native tongue, and soon after your arrival you will know exactly why this name is just so perfect for this magnificent luxury safari camp. Peace is but one of the many emotions that will encompass your soul as you look at the serene waterway meandering gently past your doorstep and the age old saying "water is life" will begin to have a whole new meaning for you. The open plan lounge and bar area, with floor to ceiling glass doors illustrates the perfect balance with elegant light colors. This modern building with its whitewashed wooden structure, skylights and open air bar, creates a cozy feel to the lounge and makes it a day time favorite to enjoy a drink or just sit back and enjoy the sights Karula has to offer. The contemporary yet African feel to the camp will satisfy and exceed the expectations of even the most discerning connoisseurs. The outside wooden deck overlooking the Klaserie river gives you the opportunity to enjoy the tranquil atmosphere and magnificent vistas the camp has to offer. Karula Library & Media Room boasts some of the best audio visual equipment but doubles as a library where you can read a good book in a breathtaking environment, or just take in nature's views through the massive sliding windows. Keep in touch with family and loved ones at one of the two dedicated guest internet stations with WiFi on tap and free of charge. A private, romantic fireplace dinner can also be arranged with the camp personnel, and in a modern romantic setting like this, the answer can only be "Yes". Kapama Karula has twelve superior suites, each exquisitely decorated and with generous private space. Two of the superior suites are purpose-built for families. Each suite also has a private outside deck and a large swimming pool, which is heated in the chillier months for year-round swimming. The luxury Karula spa offers a range of health and beauty treatments in four deluxe treatment rooms. For a body workout, the fitness centre is equipped with state-of-the-art cardio and weight-lifting equipment, or you can run or walk on the treadmill or cycle on the Wattbike. After working up a sweat, visit the steam room, or relax in the pool. You can also browse through the curio shop for those special gifts to take home. Then head out on an exciting game drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline and Orbitz so you can book your Kapama Karula reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kapama Karula Hotel Kapama Private Game Reserve
- Kapama Karula Kapama Private Game Reserve, South Africa