My friend and I stayed at Mohlabetsi for 3 nights - the start of a wonderful trip to South Africa. We arrived at the lodge at lunch time and began our stay with a bottle of wine and a wonderful lunch on the lawn. Although we had spent the previous 24 hours travelling from Ireland we were not too tired to go on our first game drive that afternoon. What an experience !! Our ranger, Solly, and tracker, Calvin were fantastic. On our first afternoon we had a close encounter with an elephant at the water hole when he decided to have a good look and us and came right up to the back of our jeep! We also saw a lion and her cubs that afternoon, During our stay we were lucky enough to see 4 of the big 5. I thought I would have enough of the game drives after a day or two but no way. I would gladly have stayed for another week. Every drive is different and Solly made sure each one was exciting and fun. The early morning drives were great - coffee at 5.15 am. and then off in the jeep - such an adventure. The sundowner drinks were wonderful - the sunsets are beyond description, especially the one on our final day where we had a drink by a tiny church in the middle of the bush. The red sky against the backdrop of the mountains was a once in a lifetime experience. On our last morning we tracked a rhino on foot with Solly - amazing to be so near such a huge animal in its natural environment.
The accommodation and food at Mohlabetsi is first class. The staff are so friendly and cannot do enough for the guests. I was so lonely leaving and cannot wait to return again to this oasis in the bush.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are situated in the vast Balule Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger Park. Get close up to the Big 5 & other animals on vehicle safaris & walks. Luxurious accommodation in a small, privately owned camp, excellent meals & South African hospitality at an extremely affordable price. Easy access via self-drive or daily flights & shuttles from Johannesburg. Relax around a swimming pool & enjoy aroma-therapy massages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mohlabetsi Safari Hotel Balule Private Game Reserve
- Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge South Africa/Balule Nature Reserve