We stayed here for one night in 2012 to check it out, as we had a spare night on that trip. We travelled to southern Africa every year for the last 15 years. Pondoro Game Lodge is right up there with the best of them.
The game drives can be variable as it is the bush, not a zoo, something which some people seem to forget! If you want to guarantee seeing animals every 5 minutes then please stay at home and go to your local zoo and leave the bush lovers to enjoy what is around them!
We stayed for 3 nights and when you combine the game viewing over those periods we had some fantastic sightings, aided by Robbie, whose knowledge of the bush is outstanding.
The rooms are fantastic and the staff are brilliant. You can really see that the people who work there are happy and love what they do, which makes such a difference.
Finally I have to pay tribute to the food. It was, without doubt, the best food I have ever eaten in southern Africa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the cool riverine banks of the Olifants River (largest in Kruger) in the 40 000 ha Big 5 Balule Private Game Reserve inside the greater Kruger National Park, Pondoro offers its visitors comfort, sophistication, elegance and a canvas on which to create a truly unforgettable African safari.In this small, very exclusive 16-bed lodge ( owner managed ) you will discover the only way to experience the African bush. In addition to luxurious accommodation and the caring attention from trained professionals, our visitors are lavished upon with international fare and humble African hospitality.Meals are an extraordinary culinary experience where Traditional African Cuisine fuse effortlessly with modern European trends.To compliment the food, select any of our fine wines from our extensive wine cellar. Vegetarians are specially catered for. All meals are served on a wooden deck high up in the tree canopy overlooking the Olifants River (weather permitting).Between game drives in open safari cruisers, nature walks and peaceful afternoon naps, enjoy a dip in the sparkling rock pool, a spot of sun bathing or browse through the library. The Pondoro bar is the ideal spot to quench your thirst and grab a snack. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Pondoro Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pondoro Game Hotel Balule Private Game Reserve
- Pondoro Game Lodge South Africa/Balule Nature Reserve