My husband and I stayed at the Pondoro in mid-June 2012 for our honeymoon (4 day/3 night). All the staff were very nice and friendly. The room we stayed in was very nicely decorated with a queen bed at the far end and a bathtub in the middle of an open area facing a tranquil river view.
The food was delicious and every meal was a unique surprise during our stay. Two of the dinners we had were very memorable: one served privately in the wine cellar to celebrate our honeymoon dinning on impala curry, the other on the riverbank under the starry sky surrounded by fire pits eating ostrich steak. We loved the ambiance and feeling the staff created, it was full of pleasant surprises.
I tried a bamboo massage at the spa; it was okay. I heard from another guest who tried the hot stone massage and she loved it.
We enjoyed every moment of our stay, no real complaint, the only slight imperfection we can think of was... our ranger was obsessed with leopards. He dropped everything and rushed right to the leopards no matter where we were (that happened on 3 different drives) and spent a whole lot of time just on leopards. I understand you can't book nature and it's all by luck on what you can see, but still I was hoping he would be as passionate for the rest of the Big Five. We were able to view the big five; however, would loved to have been able to see more of the Rhinos and Lions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the cool riverine banks of the Olifants River (largest in Kruger) in the 40 000 ha Big 5 Balule Private Game Reserve inside the greater Kruger National Park, Pondoro offers its visitors comfort, sophistication, elegance and a canvas on which to create a truly unforgettable African safari.In this small, very exclusive 16-bed lodge ( owner managed ) you will discover the only way to experience the African bush. In addition to luxurious accommodation and the caring attention from trained professionals, our visitors are lavished upon with international fare and humble African hospitality.Meals are an extraordinary culinary experience where Traditional African Cuisine fuse effortlessly with modern European trends.To compliment the food, select any of our fine wines from our extensive wine cellar. Vegetarians are specially catered for. All meals are served on a wooden deck high up in the tree canopy overlooking the Olifants River (weather permitting).Between game drives in open safari cruisers, nature walks and peaceful afternoon naps, enjoy a dip in the sparkling rock pool, a spot of sun bathing or browse through the library. The Pondoro bar is the ideal spot to quench your thirst and grab a snack. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Pondoro Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pondoro Game Hotel Balule Private Game Reserve
- Pondoro Game Lodge South Africa/Balule Nature Reserve