“Can't wait to get back to Sausage Tree!”

Sausage Tree Safari Camp
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I have travelled extensively through game/safari lodges throughout Southern Africa. Our time with the lovely people at Sausage Tree was incredible. The small and intimate feel is hard to beat, with no more than ten guests at a time. Our host, ranger, tracker and all staff were so welcoming and willing to share their extraordinary experiences and sightings. The kind people at Sausage Tree have a contagious passion for the bush and all the inhabitants of it. We would recommend Sausage Tree too anyone who would like to explore the beautiful South African bush.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jamesmountain

Reviewed February 20, 2014

What an experience!

We stayed at the Sausage Tree for three nights during our honeymoon, and we couldn't think of a better place! It was our first safari and we will never forget it. James and Themba are an incredible duet of ranger/tracker. We were able to see all the big five (even with the thick bushes of the Kruger in February) and many other creatures. James' knowledge is abyssal (I will always remember him explaining that the huge spider to which we all bravely resisted an attack in the Landcruiser was completely harmless!!).

Sonja is an wonderful host, always caring for her guests. And the food is gorgeous, Orlando the chef is a genius.

To put it very simply, it was the highlight of our 14 days in SA, we met great people (the camp is small, so if you're lucky as we were to share it with nice lads, you will have a great time) and we will surely come back later.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lau0915
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I think that it is entirely safe to say that this was the absolute best experience I have ever had while traveling. My wife and I stayed two spectacular nights (book early and soon for Sausage Tree!!) at the Camp and I am 100% certain that we will one day return to this incredible place. I am fumbling with where to start, but I will try to be as comprehensive as I can:

Accommodations: Gorgeous, fully stocked, and impeccably clean tents with a stunning view of the landscape. Let me say that "tent" is perhaps not the most accurate of terms. The room is total luxury and the bed is so comfy that it lulls you immediately to a refreshing slumber, which may very well also be facilitated by the gigantic meals and wine. Which brings me to:

Food: I am a food person, a truth readily apparent by the fact that I continue to accumulate chins. The food at Sausage Tree was, by and far, the best food experience that I had in South Africa and frankly competes with some of the best restaurants in NYC. Each dish complements the next and the ambience (open air with beautiful views of the stars, campfire in the middle of spacious tables with incredibly comfortable chairs) is out of this world. During our short time at the Camp, I literally gave up on complimenting the chef - not because I was no longer grateful for the abundant and spectacular meals, but rather because I ran out of complimentary adjectives to describe the food! In retrospect, my only regret of my trip to SA was not asking Sonja for the recipes.

The Scenery: The views from the lodge are breathtaking and the sights from the safari are unlike anything that I have ever experienced. Wildlife in every permutation would frequently walk next to the camp, and James would always provide fascinating insight into what we were witnessing. Breakfasts (back to food, sorry...) were frequently interrupted by giraffes and elephants going to the watering hole located a stone-throw away from the lodge.

The Safari: Prepare yourself to return to the mindset of an overly excited and even giddy youngster as you are wowed by the amazing animals that make this corner of the world so completely wonderful. James' knowledge of wildlife was incredible, and the tracker Themba was able to spot 3 of the big 5 and myriad more remarkable creatures (including a chameleon...which he somehow spotted at night...my mind is still blown away). I was stunned by how close we got to a lioness who, along with her two gorgeous cubs, was happily munching on a recently captured Kudu (this aspect of the trip was wisely done before the evening cocktails). This was amazing to see, and I am so grateful for the talents of our guides. In the evening, the jeep would stop and we would stretch our legs and sip gin and tonic while being serenaded by hippos (singing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight") and watch the sun set.

The Hosts: Sonja and James were perfect. Actually, they were beyond perfect. Every possible convenience was offered and they did their utmost to make everyone comfortable and happy. I particularly appreciate James for his patience in answering my many questions. Sonja is amicable, gracious, knowledgeable, and is downright one of the nicest people I have ever met. James is incredibly knowledgable, engaging, and frankly oozes competence and was almost certainly short-listed for the leading role in the most recent Indiana Jones film. Also note, that there are only a small group of people at Sausage Tree at one time, which makes the experience that much more pleasant and personal. In general, everyone at Sausage Tree was outstanding, I count myself incredibly lucky to have met such incredible people.

In sum, I would unreservedly recommend Sausage Tree Safari, and I can say wholeheartedly that our experience at the Camp was the highlight of our honeymoon. Thank you so much, we will certainly return. Sam Helman

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sam_Helman
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Come as guest, leave as friend. That pretty much sums up the whole experience at Sausage Tree lodge for me. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Sonja and James truly run a first class operation. Their warmth and passion for service is truly amazing. Great accomodation, wonderful staffs, outstanding meals and AMAZING setting. So if you are looking for that authentic safari experience, look no further. Sausage tree lodge is the place. I am so looking forward to my next visit there. Thank you Sonja, James, Themba, Orlando, Scott and the rest of the team that made my first visit to Africa such a memorable experience.

Best Regards,

Johan Yang

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Thetraveler1775
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Sausage Tree was absolutely incredible.
Everything about this place is amazing.
The owners Mandy and Richard make you feel so at home (and lets be honest I am quite jealous that this amazing place is their home).
The accommodation is so much fancier than I expected.
The drives were amazing, even if unfortunately in the time we were there we didn't see all of the Big 5, 3 out of 5 is great, along with all the other amazing animals I had the best time. Seeing baby hippos swimming in the river, or lion cubs playing together, zebras chasing each other, words cant even describe the feeling you get watching this.
The food at the lodge was some of the best food we ate in South Africa., Every meal is a three course meal (we wish we would have known this on the first morning, when we made the mistake of filling up on fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, muesli and freshly baked scones and bread before being asked how we would like our eggs). Almost all of the food is made freshly at the lodge using local ingredients.
I have food allergies and this was no problem at all, I was given a huge variety of amazing food and didn't feel I was missing out at all.
Whilst eating lunch on our second day elephants came to the waterhole below the lodge for a drink, could you ask for a better view.
I can not rate Sausage Tree highly enough and I am sure this wont be my only visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank rebeccamareeclarke
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I had the privilege of spending a week in the kind hands of the sausage tree lodge team.
I have to admit that I had throughly stalked the lodge on every social media provided before taking my trip there..... that being said..... in this case, not even a picture could paint the thousands words of a sausage tree experience.

The mystical, adventuresome and seductive charm of Africa penetrates every aspect of sausage tree. The tent experience is one not to be missed, but do not be fooled by the term ‘tent’, it is most luxurious yet it allows you believe that somehow you are a part of this unique setting.

The drives were incredible and we were spoilt with sightings every time. We especially enjoyed the sundowners by the river as we watched the hippos bathing... from a distance. When you return to camp, the sightings are not over...
The sky decking of the lodge looks out over the vast Balule bush, with a water hole beneath at which a lovely elephant frequented during our stay.

The food... what can i say, eat, eat and eat some more! Freshly made muffins and scones in the morning, lunches fit for a king and an evening meal under that stars with a truly African theme. It as these times that we not only enjoyed the spectacular dishes but it was a chance to get to know our hosts and safari guides, telling tales of their accouters and adventures beside the glowing fire.
The ambiance of Sausage tree lodge is best described by our lion king comrades Timon and pumbaa..... “Hakuna Matata”

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SianHurst
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I sent 4 of my clients recently to Sausage Tree for the first time. The feedback I got from them has been very positive. Amazing accommodation, fantastic game viewing, delicious food as well as some fine hospitality from all their staff. Everything that I would like my clients to experience. Thanks so much for taking good care of the clients. Sausage Tree is now the first lodge I contact when clients request a safari experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Kapama River Lodge
Kapama River Lodge
#3 of 4 in Kapama Private Game Reserve
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Camp
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Cam...
#3 of 21 in Balule Nature Reserve
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
#1 of 14 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Pondoro Game Lodge
Pondoro Game Lodge
#2 of 21 in Balule Nature Reserve

Been to Sausage Tree Safari Camp? Share your experiences!