“Absolutely wonderful!”

Sausage Tree Safari Camp
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Gracious hospitality, comfortable accommodations, magnificent food, pleasant and very helpful staff...not to mention the elephants and lions and zebras and giraffes and rhino and hippos and antelopes of many varieties and owls and eagles. The game drives were great. I'm having a tough time going through all my photos to pick my favorites. The camp was relaxing, attractive and quite comfortable. The hosts and staff were wonderful. The food was as good as or better than big city five star restaurants. I recommend Sausage Tree very highly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DiCristofaro

Reviewed November 30, 2013

very good price/service. completely renewed, good game, good food, baisically noting to complain about. tI canonly confirm that this is the cheapest offerto my kowlede in the area for this kind of service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Speedy B
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We were fresh off the 36 hour trip from Toronto when Sonia and James welcomed us into their abode. Couldn't have been any better for our first ever trip to Africa. It was like 4 days amongst friends except we didnt have to do any cooking! Loved the small size, the comfort, the food, the scenery and especially the animals. Only suggestion: please restrict smokers to a secluded area... perhaps outside the electric fence? (This is a problem in all of South Africa). We miss you all and cant wait to return.

Room Tip: All the "tents" are separate and private.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nhojPaterson
Reviewed November 25, 2013

At the end of a fantastic week's horse riding safari at Wait-a-Little in Karongwe Reserve, I needed somewhere to stay near Hoedspruit for 1 night before catching my flights back to the UK. STC was recommended by Wait-a-Little and what a great recommendation. Sat on my stoop re-adjusting, I felt like I was in the middle of the bush with no one else around and yet a short walk away and I was cooling off in a pool with a view - perfect. Delicious food, even for a non-meat eater like myself, clean, comfortable and very well fitted accommodation with every detail considered, friendly and with superb guiding by the young Liam Burroughs. Balule is a very well kept secret gem of a Reserve with such a variety and plethora of wildlife at every turn of the head and very few vehicles. Liam has obtuse facts about pretty much any bird, beast, bug or shrub that really make the game drives, filling in the gaps between excellent game sightings and is one of the most knowledgeable and passionate wildlife guides it has been my privilege to meet during numerous safaris across 6 African countries. All in all a perfect end to a wonderful week in my favourite continent, go if you get the chance.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sara M
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Here we are home, safe and sound among the two legged creatures, ha ,I think sometimes we would have been safer in the wild. It has been only a day away from you and I miss you already, so you never know ,we might see you again or better still ,you might come our way.

I am no good with face book ,so I wanted to tell you what an AWESOME experience and time I had with you. Everything was perfect and your hospitality was the best of the best that I came across. I being a good cook . so they say, can voucher myself that we were looked after with great care and satisfaction. It all was amazing and so special, not only the taste of the lovely food , but it was done with so much passion and love.

Your Sausage Tree Camp was Amazing ,I felt Safe and content with everything you had to offer. I can say with all my heart that you both are amazing in organizing our trip to perfection and taking care off us all in our group and looking after our personal needs.

The safari was the best ever and you and your guides and trackers took us where we could have never gone and seen ,not only the big five of Africa, but the beautiful tiny unseen creatures that are there for our enjoyment. I have learned so much in such a short time. HMMMMM DO YOU THINK I WOULD MAKE A GOOD GUIDE ,or will the animals scatter and hide when they see me coming???? You never know, if I let down my long hair ,they might think I am a two legged Lioness the odd one out among their pack and I am sure they would chase me away or maybe eat me for dessert.

Love Agnes Agili Artist. xx

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank StephenPowell
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hospitality provided by Sonia and James during our week could not have been better. Sonia and James made us feel so at home in such a far away place. The camp is extremely well run, the staff is excellent, and the facility is perfect. The food is unbelievably good. Orlando is an outstanding chef. The game drives were extremely well done. James as driver and Liam as spotter did a truly wonderful job. Our game drives could not have been better. We will always have fond memories of our great week.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Don D
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My hubby and I spent several days at Sausage tree in mid October and the experience was truly world class! The tented accommodation lends an African Safari air to the stay but the accommodation is far from basic. Tents are on raised floors and contain a large, luxurious bathroom, great beds, lovely outside (but totally safe) shower and full electricity. James, as our driver for the game trips was faultless and funny, and had answers to every question that we asked him about not only the wildlife, but the flora and fauna. Food was decadent; cleanliness of the tents, flawless; the main lodge's décor was awesome! Thanks for an amazing experience, Sonja and James!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 22 in Balule Nature Reserve
Baobab Ridge
Baobab Ridge
#2 of 15 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve

Been to Sausage Tree Safari Camp? Share your experiences!