“Response to Bad Reviews”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Balule Nature Reserve
Tremisana Game Lodge
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I was very surprised to read a recent review from Leiden, the Netherlands and sorry to hear of your bad experience at Tremisana Game Lodge.

However I can find no justification in your comments. I found the rooms at Tremisanna bright, clean and comfortable. The beds were comfortable and average size one would expect. The shower and bathroom facilities were modern and kept very clean.

Your comment of most visitors experiencing lack of sleep due to the monkeys on the roof puzzles me why you chose Africa for a vacation. My whole experience at Tremisana will remain with me for the rest of my life, it went beyond all expectations and provided exactly what I wanted, a comfortable room in the heart of Africa, excellent food, true and authentic African experience, a warm and friendly welcome from the hostess who also went that extra mile to ensure your stay met all your requirements.

I also found the Rangers very experienced and knowledgable and would never under any circumstances put themselves or their clients life at risk by driving irresponsibly. The drive to Kruger from Tremisanna is more or less a straight road and once inside the park there are speed restrictions in place. It would not be in the Ranger's interest to drive fast along these roads for one they would be breaking the speed restrictions which could adversely affect their jobs and two, clients would not have the opportunity to spot wildlife.

I feel I had to write this response as the review posted appeared unjustified. I am sure I speak for the majority of people who has posted reviews in the past will be surprised by your experience.

Finally I would like to suggest that if your looking to book a safari in the future, perhaps a 5 star lodge would be more acceptable to you. However as the wildlife disturbed your sleep you may prefer to go on a day trip to a local drive through safari park where you live.

Tremisana offers excellent hospitality, comfortable clean rooms, friendly and warm atmosphere a great hostess and all at an affordable price.

As a note of encouragement for the staff at Tremisana and Viva Safaris, one or two bad reviews is not the end of the world, if comments are justified it allows for you to examine any problems and take steps to rectify them.

You all work very hard to ensure your client's comforts and needs are met and many people on tripadvisor agrees with me.

I look forward to my return visit later in the year and for many years to come.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Cathy M
There are newer reviews for Tremisana Game Lodge

Reviewed December 30, 2010

Rooms are not functional. Beds are too small for average size people. Poor bathroom and shower facilities. Most visitors lack sleep due to monkeys walking on thin roof.
Dangerous drive from Game resort to Krueger park. Fast driving with open game resort cars. Hostess was not visible when we arrived nor when we left.
She was clearly in the wrong job.!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed in this lodge for 4 days, gamedrives twice a day. Guests staying there at the same time came from all over the world. We really enjoyed our stay, had an excellent guide during gamedrives and walk. We watched lots of big animals, we also came close to the animals. Tremisana lodge is situated in a very nice area of the balulepark, close to the main gate. Our room was lovely but basic, dinner was not always for the big-eaters, but was homemade and tasty.
The hostess seemed not in a good mental shape and we felt there were problems, but that didnt affect our pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martine55
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Booked 5 day tour at Tremisana plus one extra day to do a trip to the Hoedspruit Endangered Species reserve. Viva organised this extra trip specially for us with no problems but was disappointed and can see why they dropped this from their usual itinerary. Moholoholo Game Reserve is much better. Had 2 day trips to Kruger, saw 4 of the Big 5 on the first day. The game drive in Tshukudu Game Reserve was absolutely fabulous and we were able to actually pat a Cheetah during morning tea there. It is fairly tame and just wandered up from the game reserve and laid on the patio. We were tracking a lion which we found after dark and to hear a fully grown African Lion roaring just 5 metres from us was an experience never to be forgotten. The guided walks were very informative and made us really feel like we were part of the African land and gave us a lot more respect for these magnificent animals. Dont come just wantng to see the Big 5. There are so many other rare and beautiful animals and birds.

Accommodation at Tremisana was comfortable, clean and lounging around the lapa looking at the animals coming to the waterhole was very relaxing inbetween trips. The gardens were lovely and well maintained. Pearl made us feel very welcome and Mark(one of the guides) and Polly joined us most evenings for dinner and the stories they had about the animals and their experiences were enthralling and he was very knowledgeable and gave us a great insight into the animals in the area.

Meals at Tremisana were plentiful and very enjoyable but watch out for the monkeys sometimes and you can never leave your windows open if you dont want an unexpected visitor in your room. Days start early but who can stay asleep when you hear lions roaring at 6 am.

One warning though - make sure you take plenty of cash with you as Visa is not accepted at the Lodge and you will need to pay cash for most things ie drinks, tips etc. Also there are no ATMs or shops nearby if you need to get more cash or extra nibbles (ie fruit, packs of chips, biscuits etc). Also on the day we went to Kruger their shop was offline and no credit cards could be used there either so cash is essential.

Really glad we opted for the longer safari as the extra time spent around Tremisana and the other Parks were well worth it and certainly rounded out our African Experience. Dont forget your binoculars and camera.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Mannah
Reviewed September 24, 2010

One of the highlights of my recent holiday. The staff were incredibly friendly, and the guide was informative and confident. I have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank 2010aussietraveller
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I went to South Africa for the soccer world cup, and I thought what better way to fill the gap between the semi-finals and the final but to go on Safari. I booked my trip with Viva Safari, and the customer service and experience was superb throughout.

I booked the trip about a month before the tournament, and was pleasantly surprised to see how Viva Safari's had not hiked up its prices for the tournament, which every other hotel and tour guide had seemed to do. With Viva Safari's attention to detail, they picked me up directly from my hostel in Jo'burg in the morning on time, with a driver full of character and extensive knowledge of the surrounding areas. It is a hefty drive up to Kruger (about 5 hours), so I would recommend flying if finances allow, but I found the journey enjoyable and an opportunity to meet new people who I am still in touch with now.

The lodge itself is very relaxed, with the rooms designed to provide a truly South African feel with the thatched roofs. The lodge is just inside the compounds of Kruger National Park, and comes with its unofficial resident monkeys that add to the whole safari experience. Every night the hosts would cook up local African cuisine that we would all eat in front of an open fire and discuss the sightings of the day. I really enjoyed the home-cooked food (such as impala stew), which really added to the experience of being away from a major city. The owners of the lodge would always join us for dinner and provide insights into recommendations and things to look for when out of the Safari.

The safari itself (I went on a sunset drive, a full day drive, and a sunrise drive) was one of the highlights of my trip; with the open top vehicles allowing you to get incredibly close to the animals. It’s a strange experience as you know you have seen most of the animals before in a zoo, but it makes it feel that much more special to actually find the animals in their natural habitat. Our guides were incredibly knowledgeable, and in keeping the number in each car small, it allowed not only for a comfortable drive, but also for the guides to explore different areas of the park, and sharing knowledge about sightings during the day, allowing us to see as much wildlife as possible.

Overall, this was an amazing experience and this is all thanks to Viva Safari's - I recommend anyone to use this company when looking to go on Safari.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank bswfu
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We had a great safari. Comfortable lodging. Excellent game viewing with an unbelievable guide. Mark made the trip with his knowledge of the wildlife, geography and culture. The breakfasts and dinners were amazing. Great staff. Wonderful family experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
#1 of 21 in Balule Nature Reserve
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Camp
Naledi Bushcamp and Enkoveni Cam...
#2 of 21 in Balule Nature Reserve
Baluleni Safari Lodge
Baluleni Safari Lodge
#6 of 21 in Balule Nature Reserve

Been to Tremisana Game Lodge? Share your experiences!