Tremisana Game Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Balule Nature Reserve
See available hotels
Toro Yaka Bush Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
Hippo Pools Resort(Hoedspruit)
View Hotel
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
  • Pool
Garonga Safari Camp(Makalali Private Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Kapama Buffalo Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama Southern Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama Karula(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
  • Pool
All reviewsviva safarisday safarisunset drivemarc's treehousebush walkkruger parkbush braaithe breakfast arearehabilitation centreguest housemorning walklong drive from johannesburginsect repellentboma dinnerstewbalule reservewalking safari
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 24, 2010

One of the highlights of my recent holiday. The staff were incredibly friendly, and the guide was informative and confident. I have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank 2010aussietraveller
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I went to South Africa for the soccer world cup, and I thought what better way to fill the gap between the semi-finals and the final but to go on Safari. I booked my trip with Viva Safari, and the customer service and experience was superb throughout.

I booked the trip about a month before the tournament, and was pleasantly surprised to see how Viva Safari's had not hiked up its prices for the tournament, which every other hotel and tour guide had seemed to do. With Viva Safari's attention to detail, they picked me up directly from my hostel in Jo'burg in the morning on time, with a driver full of character and extensive knowledge of the surrounding areas. It is a hefty drive up to Kruger (about 5 hours), so I would recommend flying if finances allow, but I found the journey enjoyable and an opportunity to meet new people who I am still in touch with now.

The lodge itself is very relaxed, with the rooms designed to provide a truly South African feel with the thatched roofs. The lodge is just inside the compounds of Kruger National Park, and comes with its unofficial resident monkeys that add to the whole safari experience. Every night the hosts would cook up local African cuisine that we would all eat in front of an open fire and discuss the sightings of the day. I really enjoyed the home-cooked food (such as impala stew), which really added to the experience of being away from a major city. The owners of the lodge would always join us for dinner and provide insights into recommendations and things to look for when out of the Safari.

The safari itself (I went on a sunset drive, a full day drive, and a sunrise drive) was one of the highlights of my trip; with the open top vehicles allowing you to get incredibly close to the animals. It’s a strange experience as you know you have seen most of the animals before in a zoo, but it makes it feel that much more special to actually find the animals in their natural habitat. Our guides were incredibly knowledgeable, and in keeping the number in each car small, it allowed not only for a comfortable drive, but also for the guides to explore different areas of the park, and sharing knowledge about sightings during the day, allowing us to see as much wildlife as possible.

Overall, this was an amazing experience and this is all thanks to Viva Safari's - I recommend anyone to use this company when looking to go on Safari.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank bswfu
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We had a great safari. Comfortable lodging. Excellent game viewing with an unbelievable guide. Mark made the trip with his knowledge of the wildlife, geography and culture. The breakfasts and dinners were amazing. Great staff. Wonderful family experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My partner and I had the absolute pleasure of staying in the Tremisana Lodge for 4 nights.
The itinerary is perfect and brilliantly organized, the staff are unbelievably hospitable and friendly. The hostess Pearl definitely stands out in my mind. She was always ready to go the extra mile and made us feel not just welcome but at home.
The guides are of a very high standard. There is always a spotter on board who listens and looks and (without fail) spots each and every animal. They are of such a high standard that travelers from other lodges were joining our expeditions.
We experienced a bush walk which was exhilarating but entirely safe, definitely recommended.
The lodge's surrounding game reserve is teaming with animal life and you cannot escape it (not that you would want to). From Giraffe and buck crossing the road constantly to lions lazing in front of the entrance it really is breathtaking.
We were taken into the Kruger and once again the Tremisana ranger was excellent. We were very lucky to sight 4 of the Big 5 on the day, with a very close, hair raising encounter with a bull elephant, a situation brilliantly eased out of by our guide.
Overall the itinerary left no-one wanting. (We had Irish, British, Indian and Mexican people in our group, all of which were smiling from ear to ear)

Furthermore the food at the lodge is out of this world, seriously, and there are always copious amounts thereof as I found myself going back for thirds and fourths.
The whole place really is inexplicably warm and welcoming and for the four days I had the privilege of spending there it truly was my home away from home.
The room's are sufficient, bed's are comfortable, all amenities are covered.

I truly recommend Tremisana Game Lodge to everyone and I will, without a doubt, return sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrBeyer
Reviewed July 14, 2010

It would be unfair to say that it was just Tremisana that was disappointing- it probably included all the lodges in the Balule,or Greater Kruger,as indicated by other guests.

The package economy tours are disgracefully expensive and common to most Balule lodges,with not much bang for your buck!The room and stay is basic(eco lodges are more tasteful in my opinion),the tours run like a school trip,the all day safari in the main Kruger park thru Orpen gate on the 2nd day is the highlight.

The 1st night night drive(2-3 hours) and the early morning drive on the 3rd day(one hour) takes you around the bordering properties,not inside Kruger.I personally felt that it was more Value for Money to stay close to the Orpen Gates in rooms or tents,and take their guided tours into Kruger park.Another tourist recommended Mark's treehouse,which is super basic,but gives access to animals to wander around below your houses-makes it less sterile to have a Rhino wandering around close to you the way nature intended.!

It is laudable that the Balule land owners have been slowly removing fences that separate them from Kruger,and thus creating Greater Kruger,giving the animals freedom to move over what was and is rightfully theirs.But, it remains a distressing dilemma for people like me interested in conservation to choose between sustainable tourism,and lining the pockets of the landowners.I wish i knew how much of my money was spent on conservation,so i could sleep better!It is easier on my pocket,and my back(we were transported like sardines in a can both ways for nearly 6 hours each) to just go to the Lion park in Johannesburg (superb to see the lions within touching distance,but distressing that it's a glorified zoo),or Pilanesberg or Hluhluwe(in my opinion,great viewing).

I will place my bets on the Serengeti,versus Greater Kruger with it's" inside- out",and" outside- in "fenced cages,trying to protect beast and civilisation from each other.

P.S.-Take a flight from Joburg if you can afford it-gives you more time to spend in Kruger.
-Central and South Kruger are Big 5 turf.
-Carry your own snacks,options if you are vegetarian or vegan.
-The morning walks with the rangers CANNOT be done on the 2 night package-wish we were told about that,instead of having it in our itinerary.It's just not possible to accomplish anything walking about in an hour,you need at least four hours.I let it slide because the people at Tremisana are genuinely nice and helpful,esp Pearl and the rangers.
-Best animal viewing happens over numerous drives anywhere in the world.Try self drives,so you can access the park from many gates.

Happy Animal Spotting!

Again laudable efforts,but a dilemma all the same,if money is a criteria.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple