Tremisana Game Lodge
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
$691
$670
  • Breakfast included
Kapama Southern Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
$886
Garonga Safari Camp(Makalali Private Game Reserve)(Great Value!)
$1,095
$827
SA Hotels
  • Breakfast included
Kapama Karula(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
$2,120
  • Pool
$87
$68
Toro Yaka Bush Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
  • Pool
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Kapama Buffalo Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsviva safarisday safarisunset drivemarc's treehousebush walkkruger parkbush braaithe breakfast arearehabilitation centreguest housemorning walklong drive from johannesburginsect repellentboma dinnerstewbalule reservewalking safari
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Rai is a great hostess who took care of our schedules from the first day we got there. I especially enjoyed our conversations about everything and anything in between the meals and game drives out in the lapa area.

The rangers are just eagle eyed and full of knowledge and hilarious animal stories. Special thanks to Wes, Tex, Raymond! We saw loads of animals even a closer than expected encounter with the oliphants! Also memorable was our breakfast with the hippos by the river... oh simply a highlight!

Food was always delish and I especially love the 8 O'clock mass dinner where everyone can catch up and reflect on the day's sightings!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed in a family room so we had lots of room to spread out. The beds were very comfy, the water hot and strong and the rooms clean.
The food was fabulous - the soup at night and special bread were delicious - and the recipe secret, though we asked for it! We were able to try Impala stew (yum) and lots of traditional African food as well as more normal fare.The day and night safaris were informative and we saw many different animals at close quarters - have some amazing photos!
We stayed for 4 nights and 5 days which was a very relaxing experience - it meant a couple of days where we had a few hours in the middle of the day to chill. I'm sure the 3 night package would be fine to see many animals but would be a little busier.
The staff were helpful but not intrusive and I highly recommend this package to anyone, old or young.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Narelle D
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I did a three night, four day Safari with Viva Safaris last weekend. I stayed at the Tremisana Lodge for two nights and at Marc's Tree House for one night. Overall I had a great weekend. My room at Tremisana was spacious and extremely clean. The bed was comfortable, with a thick mattress and a warm duvet. I was not cold during the night despite it being winter. There was high pressure hot water in the shower. The room was totally closed in (i.e., no holes in the thatch roof or walls) and climate controlled. So it felt very luxurious despite the fact that we were out in the African bush.

There was plenty of food for dinner, and wine was reasonably priced at about USD 1.50 per glass (paid in Rand, of course). The night safari was fun, and the following full day in Kruger was a blast. We got to see almost all of the animals up close and personal from the truck. The next day we did a five hour hike in the Balule game reserve. This is really about the same as Kruger Park itself - there are no fences between it and Kruger so you can see all of the same foliage and animals. We did another evening drive that night as well.

My last night I moved to Marc's Tree House. This definitively does not have a luxury feel to it. These are makeshift cabins made of bamboo and wood with thatch roofs. The windows have bars over them but there is no glass, so you can hear and see the animals from your room. Bugs can of course easily get in. The roof also has a gap between it and the wall (covered with wire so animals including monkeys cannot easily get in). Some of the cabins do not have their own bathrooms and instead you have to walk to the toilet and shower outside.

Staying in the tree house was certainly an interesting experience. You need to be the kind of person who really enjoys the outdoors and camping if you are going to stay in the tree house. Just keep that in mind when you book. If you think you'd rather take a pass on that, just book all of your nights at Tremisana instead.

The hostesses at Tremisana and the tree house were both great - they were upbeat, polite, and helpful. They let me borrow a cell phone to make a reservation at a hostel back in Johannesburg for after my trip.

This is a good safari to book for young people, and particularly for solo travelers. I went alone but there was a good group of other young tourists there and we spent the entire weekend together having fun. There are also a few older tourists so if you are in your sixties or seventies don't let that discourage you from coming and having fun. Everyone got along well and was welcoming regardless of age or nationality.

Room Tip: Rooms at Tremisana are a lot nicer than at the tree house - stay here if you don't like sleeping among nature
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 434Student
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Beatiful place. The rooms are clean and comfy. Showers had only very cold water or very hot- so not so nice. Food was good. Had a cozy fire by the tables for dinner. Overall very nice. Had a small pool too which would have been nice if we had stayed for the south african summer. We saw no animals on our night safari, and when we told the new driver the next morning he was shocked until he heard which driver we had. So the drivers could have worked better together after what we heard (does who had another saw lots of animals). But overall it was very nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

The staff was super nice and friendly, specially the hostess Thalita and some game drivers!
The food was excellent and the environment was perfect.
The room was simple and clean. Somedays we had breakfast with the monkeys and other wild animals.
The staff for dinner was extremely sympathetic and nice.
I stayed 3 nights and 4 days and I enjoyed so much. They make it easy to interact with others travelers, making the trip even more fun.
I strongly recommend this lodge.

• Stayed: July 2013