“Best In World”

Singita Boulders Lodge
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I have be fortunate to stay in five star properties around the world. This is THE best hotel I have ever experienced. The room is well appointed, amazing features, tons of privacy, outdoor shower...and more including Dermalogica products. The thing that makes this property so amazing is the service. Since it's only 12 rooms, the staff learns what you like and delivers before you can even ask for it. If you ask for something they reply, "Anything is possible at Singita." By the way, Singita means, 'miracle' You will find yourself up close and personal with many animals and the best part is they will teach you as much as you want to learn about the bush and the animals. I can go on and on, but you must experience it to love it. (if you love wine there's over 12,000 bottles to choose from) Here's a link to our youtube movie about the trip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJjmMjxu-4

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brianparsley

Reviewed January 18, 2010

We traveled to South Africa, Botswana and Zambia in Summer 2008 and stayed at many incredible places

South Africa: Singita Boulders, Royal Malewane (and The Saxon and The Westcliff in Jo'burg)
Botswana: Mombo Camp, Vumbura Plains
Zambia: Royal Livingstone (for Victoria Falls)

Singita Boulders was our favorite overall, and that's saying something! (To be fair the Royal Malewane is also pretty incredible if you travel with friends and stay in one of the 2 bedroom villas with your own butler and guide).

The game viewing was much better at Mombo than at either Singita or the Royal Malewane, just higher overall density of animals to see. However, the overall experience (lodge + food + service + game drives) at Singita Boulders is hard to beat. We LOVED the design of the lodge and of our room, incredible eco-organic contemporary design.

We've been fortunate to travel the world and I would undoubtedly put Singita Boulders in my personal top 3 hotels in the world without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnSFDC
Reviewed October 30, 2009

Was asked recently by someone what our favourite holidays had been and recounted our 3 day break staying at Boulders Lodge in October 2006. Realised that I had never posted a review of this hotel so - rather late - posting my recollection of our stay. We had never done a safari before but thought I would know what to expect from what other people had told me and pictures I had seen. I was wrong. It is something that needs to be experienced first hand. Three years on and there are still strong memories of our stay. Before we left the UK the hotel had sent us a note asking a few questions about us, basically to get an indication of our fitness, expectations etc etc. When we arrived at the airstrip used by Singita, we were met by our guide Rex, who had clearly read our reply and already knew a little about us. A small but nice touch. After lunchon our first day - which was served at whatever time suited us - we had a rest and then went for a drink before the afternoon game drive. We were asked if we wished to do a drive on our own or to join another couple who had also just arrived that day. We opted to go with the other couple, who were great fun, and we set off into the wilderness. The trip was just wonderful - we saw so much on that first afternoon and it felt so exciting. Just as it got dark - the jeep pulled up in a clearing and we got out. The bonnet of the jeep became a table top on which drinks and snacks laid out (over a white tablecloth of course). So we had our first sundowners.
Rex was an excellent guide - knowledgeable, interesting, accommodating and with a lovely sense of humour. He really made our drives special. We saw not only the big 5 - but also learnt a lot about the birds, the vegetation and the stars (coming back late from the afternoon game drives). Even walking around with him through the bush tracking a leopard - we felt completely safe in his company.

Our butler was Emmanuel and he was just wonderful. He just seemed to know when I wanted another coffee or another glass of wine and a coffee pot/wine bottle would just appear from nowhere. He looked after us exceptionally well.

On the night after our last game drive we headed back to our room to change before dinner. The room was in darkness but as I opened the door to the bathroom, the floor was covered in lit candles, the bath had been run and was full of bubbles and an ice bucket with champagne was placed next to the bath. It came as a complete surprise. We weren't on honeymoon or celebrating anything - this was just done as a normal thing on the last night.

We haven't been on another safari in Africa since so I have nothing else to compare our experience to. However, as a one - off it was just wonderful. Three years on I still have very positive happy memories of our experience.

Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dee090
Reviewed October 8, 2009

After landing at the airstrip it was a short drive with my guide, Donavan, to camp. Upon arrival I immediately I new I would thoroughly enjoy my stay. The main area is an impressive artistic mix of rock, wood, woven rough fabrics, creams, beiges, browns and fantastic textures. A very natural, African feel. I was greeted with a smile and the usual fruity cocktail as my bags were whisked away. After short briefing and I was off to my room. Opening my room door I was welcomed by the sounds of Africa (they have a well stocked Ipod in each room with surround sound). My first thought was how enormous the room was! The smaller entry room is stocked with a mini bar and assorted snacks, tea, coffee etc. There is also a smaller bathroom to the right. Continuing on to the main area of the room there is a large sitting area with a double sided fireplace separating the living room from the bedroom. Continuing on past the bedroom area is an enormous bathroom with a separate toilet and shower area, a double basin sink and bath tub. The entire room is fronted with glass allowing fantastic views of Sand River and beyond. Leaving the air conditioned room to explore the deck area I found one of my favorite amenities, the outdoor shower! There is also private pool which was thoroughly enjoyed before I headed up for lunch.
The food was phenomenal! I opted for a delicious pasta dish and a perfectly chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc. The service was wonderful, I just wish I could say the same for the company. A short distance away was a table of about 10 South African guests who were quite intoxicated, and well on their way to furthering their intoxication and had rather foul language. Luckily the other guests were done with lunch and had gone back to their rooms leaving me the only witness to the obnoxious behavior of this group. Trying to ignore the mayham, I focused on the wonderful food and the view of 2 elephant. After lunch and a little quiet time I explored the main areas of camp. There is a large library with internet facilities, a well equipped gym and a large pool. The wine cellar is incredible, I highly suggest a wine tasting during your stay. There is also an African Trading store located a few minutes from camp (a transfer vehicle runs back and forth all day). There are some fantastic items in the store, the most unique store I have ever explored on safari…. But don’t forget your credit card! The prices are just as unique!
Soon we were off on my first game drive. The wildlife was cooperative, rhino, lion, giraffe, leopard… quite productive, and my guide, Donavan was rather entertaining. At sunset we stopped off for a refreshment before making our way back to camp to freshen up for dinner. A wonderful surprise awaited my return to the room… a hot bubble bath and a chilled bottle of sparkling wine. A great way to unwind before dinner. Dinner was wonderful. I sat with Donavan and his mother who was visiting for a few days. Bedtime came just in time! But morning came too quick!
After a lovely cup of coffee and perusing the table of fruits, cereals and pastries we were off on our next adventure. The game drive was a little quieter but we came across a comical herd of buffalo, one drapped in a bush that must have caught on his horns, and the usual other sightings, elephant, lion, impala… and my only Zebra of the entire trip!
Breakfast was as expected, delicious, and my stay was enjoyable however I was soon to head off to my next camp. Leopard Hills was a 45 minute road transfer where we came across a gorgeous pride of lion and not long after a giraffe… I hope he wasn’t dinner!
PROS: The camp is beautiful., the food is phenomenal, the wildlife viewing superb! Simply a fantastic experience.
CONS: There are a lot of staff making it a little impersonal. With several other camps around the area the game drives were a little busier around good sightings and felt a little more orchestrated.

Lorna Davidson, Ultimate Africa Safaris

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Lorna-UltimateAfrica
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at Boulders after having stayed at Londolozi for 2 nights. This is obviously my personal opinion, but I felt more warmth and energy from the Londolozi staff. Having said that, Boulders is incredible. Our guide was really annoying and definitely put a damper on the experience, but the lodge, rooms, food, wine, service was amazing. The game drives were awesome, as well. I really felt pampered. The spa services were great, but it's within the gym so halfway through my massage, someone jumped on the treadmill and all I could hear was him running the remaining half hour. I would highly recommend Boulders, but Londolozi was less than half the price so it's hard to justify returning.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank usckim01
Reviewed September 13, 2009

How do you describe the trip of a lifetime? The service was excellent, the game viewing magnificent, the food delicious, everyone delightful. The highest accolades are applicable to Singita. I always said this would be a once in a lifetime trip. Now I know better. I will go back to Singita in the future. I'm definitely hooked on safari and Singita.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank ancPR
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Our recent trip to Boulders was our seventh trip to Singita. We were first there in 1995 when Ebony the first lodges at Singita opened. We were curious to know ,now that there are 15 competing 5 star lodges in the area, if Singita could be fresh and still the best, as it was the model for the rest. The answer is yes!
The Boulders unit has a bath and a half, a bidet, and is larger than Ebony or the standard suites at almost any other place. The food is now superb and the ten thousand bottle wine cellar beyond expectation. The sommelier is excellent ,as are his wine tastings and since wine is included, it was a pleasure. My massage was excellent and not over priced.
But the most important thing was the animal viewing!!!Lions are in short supply since a coalition of six males took out at least 40 lions in the area in the past year or so.Nonetheless ,we had the experience of alifetime because of the sensitivity of the staff and the understanding that their quests who are paying $2500 per night have different needs.
Our first game drive was a disappointment. First time visitors want to check off all the game, and especially see and photograph the big Five. Experienced viewers want to see interaction. That requires staying in one place and waiting and watching to see if anything will happen that is interesting. Our first vehicle was filled with two other couples who were new to game viewing,one couple who did not speak English and one mother and daughter. Alot of time is spent in these rovers (7hours per day )and there needs to be some common interest and compatibility when you might be together for four days and nights. Because the staff is very attuned to their guests' responses it was quickly discovered that we were not happy.And so several changes were attempted.
And then one day Mark Broderyck, the Head Ranger, took us out alone. He is one of only 43 Rangers in SA to hold the the 4th and highest certificate in dangerous game. He figured out there was a chance that a young pride of lions who had recently arrived in the southern part of the property might find a small breeding herd of buffalo attractive.
He understood, we would willingly miss the gourmet dinner and wines in order to stay out late enough to follow these animals' evening activity. (Actually they surprised us with a fabulous dinner in our suite, when we returned). And so it was at about 9:30 pm in the dark of the night, that 15 lions(one male and only three mature lionesses) ambushed the breeding herd of about 35 buffalo and actually took down six of them. Mark had neither seen or heard of such a happening. The lions even seemed surprised as they waited on their kill for lions to arrive who turned out were busy on other buffalo. It was an unusually quick and quiet affair , over in less than five minutes. The point of this story is to say that the Singita staff made every effort possible to see to it that our experience met our expectations. Since the average tariff is over $2000 per night per couple this kind of diligence will keep them more than competitive.
If you go in our summer take gloves and some layers. It is cold in the evening and early morning. Go over to see Ebony, but try not to stay there. It is colorful and charming, but the rooms are too small and dark.Request a unit that overlooks the river. Look at the museum quality African sculptured silver that used to be in the Boulders dining room by Patrick Mavros. It looked much better at Boulders and gets lost amid all the art at Ebony. The Boulders dining room was iconic.I hope they restore it . Check on the current state of predators. The loss of the large lion prides and the scarcity of cheetah runs in cycles . This is the first trip we saw wild dogs at Singita. They are rare and a real treat since only about 800 exist in SA.The likely hood of their presence and other predators can be ascertained several months in advance by calling directly to the lodge and asking for Mark.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#12 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reser...
#1 of 1 in Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
25 mi away
Royal Malewane
Royal Malewane
#41 of 178 in Kruger National Park
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve

Been to Singita Boulders Lodge? Share your experiences!