“Just perfect!”

Singita Boulders Lodge
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Nothing else to say. Impecable service, unlimited flexibility, helpfulness and kindness, great food, splendid setting across the river, fantastically experienced and knowledgeable guides, animal sightings one after the other. Saw all the animals there were to see (not only the big five, but many more and repeatedly!), including rare sights of a python strangling baby impala prey, leopard with prey on a tree branch, leopard with cub on a tree branch, group of hyenas teasing a leopard, etc. Just before my arrival another leopard had stayed on a tree branch with prey about 20 meters to my bedroom door for a few days. And i could go on. This accounts for both the quality of the trackers and guides Singita engages, and for the richness of wildlife that the Sabi Sands area has to offer when compared to other reserves or the Kruger in general. Shower and skincare choices for the bathrooms is Dermalogica. Everything to the last bit is included in the room rates (twice daily safari tours and picnics, meals, in room dining, refreshments, minibar, propeller plane transfer from Nelspruit airport, etc.).
That the balance due is also memorable, should hardly come as a surprise, though... ;-)

Room Tip: Do not remember spotting any less than perfect room. If ever one is able to, aim for the last two, d...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Joao M

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed at Boulders which has a contemporary design. Would have preferred Ebony next door which has more traditional decor and more comfortable rooms. The room I had at Boulders was sprawling and really too large for the two of us but very well appointed and had fabulous view. The service and guides were top notch, and the vehicles very comfortable.
The food was excellently prepared with decent but not stellar dining room service. Excellent wine program and sommelier; rec the wine tasting.
They were doing maintenance burning of much of the acreage of the area you use for game drives which resulted in a lot of smoke that blew into the camp while we were there. This was uncomfortable and no warnings given this might be happening. Definitely detracted from our experience there. Only other negative is the front office staff seem to be very motivated to want to sell you extras like spa treatments, wine, etc.
I left feeling that Singita Sabi Sands was probably at the top in terms of private Kruger game lodges but if I were going back I might check out some of the competition that may have had a superior game experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Boomer_from_Boulder
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I am a jaded traveler and I've learned to under-anticipate so that I will not be ultimately disappointed. I mean, really, how many cathedrals, mountains, castles, temples, etc. can one see before they all start to become a blur, right?

Occasionally, something that is billed as a "must-see" does, indeed, live up to its' hype and makes your jaw drop. The Grand Canyon, the Matterhorn, and the Colosseum come to mind here.

But, nothing, and I mean nothing, ever exceeded my expectations like the safari experience at Singita Boulders Lodge. I'm not going to rehash old territory by restating everything that's been said before in previous reviews. I'm going to speak directly to other uber-travelers who are already planning their trip and are just trying to decide in which specific lodge to stay.

I'm sure there are other safari camps that are quite lovely. But I will never see them because this one was so perfect that I will never stay anywhere else. For example, and, major props to whomever trains the staff at Singita, there is not a gram of stuffiness or hoity-toity attitude to be found. Every one on staff is genuine, real and imminently approachable.

Take Gift, our "butler". First of all, her name is not really Gift, but neither Europeans nor people from the Americas can pronounce her real name which involves a click or two in the back of the throat; hence, Gift. Okay, Gift was hilarious. When one conjures up the term "butler", one would never picture Gift. She was the anti-butler. She was Sir John Gielgud in Arthur. I wanted to take Gift home with me and introduce her to my bridge group. She would have them eating out of her hand in a New York minute.

Keep in mind, while on safari, one, by necessity, becomes very close to the staff to which one has been assigned and, also, to the other guests in their Land Rover. One spends the vast majority of their stay with just a handful of individuals. The management at Singita preselects and prearranges these groupings prior to your arrival based on your pre-submitted profile. Somebody there must have worked previously at Match.com because we and the other two couples in our group immediately bonded with our tracker, Johnson, our field guide, Wade and with each other. I know. I know it sounds corny, but it was true. And, it made all the difference between having just a fantastic time and having the best experience of our lives.

For example, by Day 3, our little group had seen everything up close and personal except Cape buffalo, (which is exceptional because buffalo are thick on the ground at Singita). They're like the pigeons of the bush. Consequently, Johnson was on a mission. Using hand signals, not unlike a S.W.A.T. commander, that only Wade understood, he made us stop the Land Rover on some remote dirt by-way. He then got out the binoculars and perused the landscape. Over hill and dale, for just under a kilometer, Wade maneuvered the Rover on Johnson's commands through thick vegetation. Voila, a small herd of buffalo. How did Johnson find them? He monitored from afar the flight patterns of the birds known as "ox peckers" that feed on the ticks that congregate on the underbellies of the buffalo. It was absolutely unbelievable.

And that brings me to Wade. I'm very hesitant to tell you how awesome he was because you will all request him and then he won't be available when I return. Your field guide is the crucial pivot point on your safari. A good one can make the difference between just a great time and a blow-your-mind-never-want-to-go-home-time. Wade was a virtual encyclopaedia of flora and fauna. No matter what inane question we came up with, he had the answer and, quite diplomatically, refrained from rolling his eyes or chuckling under his breath at our never-ending display of stupidity. Thanks to Wade I now know that it's a dazzle of zebras, a crash of rhinos and a tower of giraffes.

I like to hike. I live in Switzerland and I hike some random Alp every week. I wanted to go hiking in South Africa. I expressed this wish to Wade. Even though it was probably a huge inconvenience and he probably had to skip his own lunch, he took me on a hike. On foot. No vehicle, no protection except Wade's big, scary gun. It was the most fun I have ever had, without exception. We were stalking enormous animals through the bush, trying not to let them know we were there. I got my best photos and my best memories on that hike.

I cannot reiterate enough that a safari experience at Singita Boulders Lodge will surpass every lofty expectation you will ever entertain. Just go. It's that good.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank TrailingWifeBlog
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The rooms are outstanding and the service is exemplary. I completely enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My two young adult children and I had the experience of a lifetime during our August 2011 trip to Singita Boulders. Not even the unseasonable weather could dampen our eagerness to greet each new day and game drive. Our ranger Nick was not only an excellent guide, but also truly became a friend, and his enthusiasm for wildlife echoed our own - particularly upon seeing the rare pangolin, a sighting which attracted vehicles from all over the reserve. Our tracker Jabulani was a wonderful character, making sure to have plenty of amurula for our morning coffee, notwithstanding all the great quantities of amazing wines we had drunk the night before. Perhaps the greatest delight was coming upon smoke rising from the bush one morning, only to learn that Angelique and our butler Moses had arranged for a sumptuous bush breakfast just for our family, complete with a buffet of fruit, cereals, and pastries, a chef to make duck egg omelets with warthog bacon, and plenty of champagne. Our stay went too fast and we hated to leave all the wonderful acquaintances we had made, some of whom we hope to see in the US in future. We can't recommend Singita, its accommodations and its level of service, any more highly. You will see all of the wildlife you'd hope for and more, all while experiencing the luxury of a 5 star hotel. I agree with everyone who has said it is worth every penny.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Andrea U
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed at Singita Boulders for our honeymoon and it absolutely could not have been more perfect! Every aspect was amazing from the room to the food to the game to the staff. Really made our honeymoon memorable. Highly highly recommend!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Accommodations - stunning. Large private casitas with private pools. Dining - exquisite.

And the best part - the animals. The guides work endlessly to seek out these incredible creatures.

An overall fantastic experience. Went as a family of four (two young adult children) and it was one of the most memorable vacations ever.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#2 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reser...
#1 of 1 in Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
11 mi away
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#11 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve

Been to Singita Boulders Lodge? Share your experiences!