All reviews no electricity bush experience game drives kruger park paraffin lamps the reserve tented accommodation other guests bush walk hot water afternoon game mosquito net loved our stay dining table thatched roof cold drinks honor system
Reviewed August 31, 2011

When I first heard we were staying in a tented, unfenced campsite I must admit my heart sank a little. But after a 2 night stay at Pungwe I was sad to leave. We had 3 fantastic game drives where we saw elephants, rhinos, leopard and a group of 6 male lions. We also went on a morning bush walk which was a different and interesting way to view the bush. Our guides were very knowledgeable and friendly.
The tents were comfortable and clean. It was definitely an experience to have no electricity and a fire to heat your water. Watch out for the monkeys coming into your tent when you're not looking!!
The food at Pungwe was the best of all the places we stayed in South Africa, it was utterly delicious!
Overall, the incredibly interesting owners (thank you Loet and Cilla) and staff, friendly atmosphere, great food and great game viewing means I would love to visit Pungwe again in the future.

Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Pungwe Bush camp for 3 nights in late August 2010. We were suppose to go to SA during the World Cup, but due to a death in the family, we had to reschedule our trip. So let me start off by saying that the owners were VERY accomodating about switching out dates from June to August.

The camp itself was just what we were looking for, not super high end, but still nice and clean accomodations, good food and great hosts/guides. You really are out in the bush though...on one afternoon while we were lounging in our tent before the late afternoon drive, 2 elephants came through camp and were about 10 feet from our tent. Also, I took one star off for "sleep qualify" due to an elephant (possibly the same one from during the day) hung out right next to our tent two nights in a row. I am a light sleeper, so hearing a large animal next to our tent woke me and was a bit disconcerting.

Also, I have to commend the guides. They do not guarantee that you see the "Big 5", but most people usually see 4 out of 5 during their stay (leopards are pretty elusive). Well during the first two days of our stay, we didn't see much more then lots of elephants and a few hippos. Seeing all of the Big 5 didn't matter much to me, but i did want to see a lion. So the guide really took it to heart, I think it was a pride thing, and on the last drive of our stay, he was making calls, asking any other group we came across if they had seen lions and we did get to see two female lions.

Date of stay: August 2010
Reviewed January 22, 2011

South africa was our honey moon trip.
Bungwe Bush camp was first place of visit in Kruger Park.
And it has been amazing. We still remember with a smile on the face. Starting from very special bungalow without electricity in the night, candels just made it more romantic.
Tasty homemade food. specially breakfasts that were cooked on the fire.
Wild unforgettable atmoshere. Bushcamp is opened there is no fence around. There is no danger as soon as you are attentive & follow all rules but this makes it more special.
VERY hospitable owners that made our stay very comfortable. thanks to them again.
Goog guides who shared with us a lot of interesting information about their local life.
We would be very happy to come back there again ))

Date of stay: October 2010
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Wonderful location in the middle of Reserve. Great hospitality. Magic game-drives. Delicious breakfast and diners. No electricity. No fences. Comfortable canvas tents with an ingenious system for hot water.

Date of stay: August 2010
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Before I begin, let me state that I booked pungwe indirectly through a travel agent. When I travel to South Africa next time, I will book directly through pungwe and would advise all others to do the same for the reasons stated below.

Pungwe is one of about 5 camps located within the larger Manyeleti game reserve. Manyaleti is one of several private game parks that sit around the outside of Kruger National park and share an unfenced border with Kruger. This means that for the most part, you will now see all of the same animals in all of the parks.

Each camp is targeted towards a different type of traveller. For example, the largest camp had its own runway, swimming pool, restaurants, satellite tv etc. Of course you will pay around $1k to $2k per night staying there (not kidding).

Pungwe sits about in the middle. This is the place for someone that wants to escape the city and all of its trappings. It is NOT a resort spa.

First off, there is no electricity. Everything is lit by candlelight or gas lamps. This part I really enjoyed. If you need power for whatever reason, there is a generator at the main house which I am sure you could politely ask to use. Otherwise, make sure all of your batteries are charged for camera's, laptops etc.

Each bungalo / tent is located a small walking distance from the main camp. There are no fences around the camp. It is just you and the wild animals around you. Though be assured that nothing other than the monkeys in the morning may invade your privacy.

The itenerary for each day is fairly straight forward. Wake up around 5:30am for some morning tea and rusks / biscuits. Take a 2 to 3 hour guided walk through the park led by one of the rangers. For the most part you will only see animals in the distance. They are skitish and will most likely run as soon as they see or smell you. The guided walk each morning is more to learn about and enjoy the environment and nature that makes up the Kruger Park. The smaller the group however, the more likely you may get close to animals. For example, on my last day, I went on a walk alone with the guide and was able to get within 20 feet of a pair of rhino's :)

You will come back for a huge breakfast. I am sure the breakfast is different every day depending on what they decide to cook in the kitchen. However let me say that you will not leave hungry. You will then have about 2 or 3 hours to relax and rest in your tent. I came to really enjoy this mid morning naps between outings.

Around 3pm you will head out again for 3 to 4 hours of driving and animal tracking. I requested that i have a partial drive and guided walk on my last day which was the best of both worlds. Either way, you will stop around sun-down and have some beers, soda's and snacks while enjoying the sunset from somewhere in the middle of the park.

In the evening, around 7pm or 8pm, you will have dinner. Again it is a very filling dinner with some of the most amazing food I have tasted. You will not be dissapointed.

There is an honor system regarding drinks. Soda's and Beers given out during the sunset drives and during dinner are recorded and charged to you when you leave. I was not aware of being charged for the drinks we were given at our "sundowners" / sunset spots, but found out when I left. Make sure to bring enough cash to pay for this.

The drive from Johannesburg is about 4 hours. However I went with a tour company that arranged for my transportation. I was picked up around 5am in Johannesburg, and because we had to pick up many other people around town AND because Pungwe is one of the furthest camps, I only got to the camp around 4:30pm. Had I rented my own car and driven there, I would have been there around noon at the latest.

Also, renting your own car allows you to stay at Pungwe as many nights as you wish and even go camp hopping. What I mean is that you can stay at Pungwe for a night or two, and then head on to the next camp for a night or two. The reason you may choose to do this is because each location may offer a slightly different selection of animals based on season and location. Kruger Park is HUGE.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay and will definately be back. I think the part I enjoyed the most was the solitude in the evenings alone in my tent with nothing more than the fabric of my tent wall separting my from the outside park, and not to forget the priceless trips each day out viewing animals.

Remember to tip your guides. I think about R100 or more given to you main tracker is probably enough depending on stay.

Date of stay: November 2009