We were lucky enought to spend 3 nights at Mala Mala in October 2004. The rooms are very luxurious with two separate bathrooms, a huge sitting area, large comfy bed and an incredible balcony with an amazing view. The food was great and the staff was...the most wonderful, most attentive staff we have ever had the pleasure of dealing with!
But...the main focus at Mala Mala is not the rooms, the food or the staff, it's the animals...and lots of them. We saw lions and leopard every day that we were there. We were lucky enought to see a cheetah and her three cubs, and twice we saw a lioness and her three cubs. And the animals are very habituated to the vehicles so if you're lucky you can watch them for hours!
Mala Mala was our first safari stop and we were amazed to see every animal on our list in the first 3 days of our safari! We met travelers at other camps later on in our safari who had been on safari numerous times and never seen a leopard or cheetah. Mala Mala was just incredible! It's expensive, but worth it. You'll see more animals in three days at Mala Mala than you'll see in 3 weeks at some other camps. And don't let the word "camp" confuse you here...these are luxury accomodations in a very remote area in the African bush. Just amazing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- MalaMala Game Reserve is the Safari Industry's blueprint to the luxury photographic safari. In existence since 1927, this massive thriving tract of land produces the most exciting wildlife experience this side of the equator. MalaMala Game Reserve is the largest private Big Five game reserve in South Africa. Comprising 13 300 ha (33 000 acres), MalaMala shares a 19 km (12 mile) unfenced border with the world-renowned Kruger National Park, and lies strategically sandwiched between the National Park and the Sabi Sand Reserve. For over four decades, Michael Rattray has remained focused on his objective to preserve and protect the land over which he is custodian. Allowing nature to move to its innate rhythm, guests experience today what the forefathers of the African Safari would have experienced at the turn of the century. This philosophy has paid off, as experienced by a veritable collection of photojournalists and film-makers who have made MalaMala their destination of choice to capture footage of wildlife viewing that would rival any Hollywood production for thrilling and breathtaking animal encounters. MalaMala's Camps (MalaMala Main Camp, Sable Camp and Rattray's on MalaMala) are the embodiment of an authentic safari experience pioneered at a time when the safari was simple - unassuming camps, vast sweeping plains, the African sky and the bush in all its splendour. Wellness was the feeling after a long day in the wild. Cigars were shared without pomp and ceremony. Guests to MalaMala will still spend hours beneath an inky sky in the traditional boma exchanging stories from the wild - a sumptuous meal, good company and relaxed faces warmed by the crackling fire, accompanied by the nocturnal symphony of sound. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your MalaMala Main Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mala Mala Main Camp Hotel Mala Mala Private Game Reserve
- MalaMala Main Camp Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa