Mala Mala is legendary as regards big five, flora and birding.... A beautifully preserved bush veld paradise. This was our children's first introduction to the South African bush veld and with over 6 hours per day on the Landrover we were slightly apprehensive as they are 5 & 10 respectively. Our ranger was excellent and kept them engaged and interested on every drive, a real winning experience and highly recommended. From Big Five to impala lilies and little egrets.
This was our 1st experience at Main Camp as we normally stay at Rattrays, the suite room is a bush veld camp room, not a luxury room one might expect and be used too as global travelers, but spacious, comfortable and clean. Arguably this could be more appropriate for the experience but might be considered underwhelming considering the price.
Food was the same as ever, hearty and palatable to all, not Michelin star but perfect for the environment with both venison and normal cuisine available at most meals.
If you want a bush veld experience with wonderful wildlife chose Main Camp, if you want more luxurious experience and the wildlife choose Rattrays, but defiantly chose Mala Mala for the ultimate Wildlife experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- MalaMala Game Reserve is the Safari Industry's blueprint to the luxury photographic safari. In existence since 1927, this massive thriving tract of land produces the most exciting wildlife experience this side of the equator. MalaMala Game Reserve is the largest private Big Five game reserve in South Africa. Comprising 13 300 ha (33 000 acres), MalaMala shares a 19 km (12 mile) unfenced border with the world-renowned Kruger National Park, and lies strategically sandwiched between the National Park and the Sabi Sand Reserve. For over four decades, Michael Rattray has remained focused on his objective to preserve and protect the land over which he is custodian. Allowing nature to move to its innate rhythm, guests experience today what the forefathers of the African Safari would have experienced at the turn of the century. This philosophy has paid off, as experienced by a veritable collection of photojournalists and film-makers who have made MalaMala their destination of choice to capture footage of wildlife viewing that would rival any Hollywood production for thrilling and breathtaking animal encounters. MalaMala's Camps (MalaMala Main Camp, Sable Camp and Rattray's on MalaMala) are the embodiment of an authentic safari experience pioneered at a time when the safari was simple - unassuming camps, vast sweeping plains, the African sky and the bush in all its splendour. Wellness was the feeling after a long day in the wild. Cigars were shared without pomp and ceremony. Guests to MalaMala will still spend hours beneath an inky sky in the traditional boma exchanging stories from the wild - a sumptuous meal, good company and relaxed faces warmed by the crackling fire, accompanied by the nocturnal symphony of sound. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your MalaMala Main Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mala Mala Main Camp Hotel Mala Mala Private Game Reserve
- MalaMala Main Camp Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa