Mala Mala was our 3rd camp of 3 on our trip. Yes it was nice to have an air conditioned accommodation and the fridge and two bathrooms was nice. However this camp is overdone. Unlike our other camps where our accommodation was hundreds of feet from our neighbors on each side of us, at Mala Mala the accommodations are extremely close to each other and most if not all are two together. If you go to the jungle, you should not expect or desire air conditioning. The game at the camp is superb and we did see the big 5 here where at our other two camps, we were missing the rhino's. The guides spend too much time on their headsets and not enough time interacting with their guests. They have too many guests here so on occasion you have to wait your turn for your guide and vehicle to check in on the wildlife since only 3 vehicles can be at any site at one time.
The food was very good, the tea times were just that (thank goodness) and not yet another meal.
Since this was our last of the 3 camps on our trip - I graciously accepted the air conditioning but frequently felt that I was perhaps in a Disney property rather than in the jungle.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- MalaMala Game Reserve is the Safari Industry's blueprint to the luxury photographic safari. In existence since 1927, this massive thriving tract of land produces the most exciting wildlife experience this side of the equator. MalaMala Game Reserve is the largest private Big Five game reserve in South Africa. Comprising 13 300 ha (33 000 acres), MalaMala shares a 19 km (12 mile) unfenced border with the world-renowned Kruger National Park, and lies strategically sandwiched between the National Park and the Sabi Sand Reserve. For over four decades, Michael Rattray has remained focused on his objective to preserve and protect the land over which he is custodian. Allowing nature to move to its innate rhythm, guests experience today what the forefathers of the African Safari would have experienced at the turn of the century. This philosophy has paid off, as experienced by a veritable collection of photojournalists and film-makers who have made MalaMala their destination of choice to capture footage of wildlife viewing that would rival any Hollywood production for thrilling and breathtaking animal encounters. MalaMala's Camps (MalaMala Main Camp, Sable Camp and Rattray's on MalaMala) are the embodiment of an authentic safari experience pioneered at a time when the safari was simple - unassuming camps, vast sweeping plains, the African sky and the bush in all its splendour. Wellness was the feeling after a long day in the wild. Cigars were shared without pomp and ceremony. Guests to MalaMala will still spend hours beneath an inky sky in the traditional boma exchanging stories from the wild - a sumptuous meal, good company and relaxed faces warmed by the crackling fire, accompanied by the nocturnal symphony of sound. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your MalaMala Main Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mala Mala Main Camp Hotel Mala Mala Private Game Reserve
- MalaMala Main Camp Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa