“Great view, great location, this hotel has potential but needs work.”
Review of Swiss Chalet Hotel

Swiss Chalet Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Ruidoso
Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I were planning a weekend getaway in Ruidoso. There was a convention in town so very few rooms were available. The Swiss Chalet was one of the few places with vacancies, the price was right, the location was perfect, so we booked the room having never stayed here before. We will not stay here again. The place has potential but needs a lot of work. The bed was so incredibly uncomfortable neither of us were able to sleep. The room was dark, stuffy and poorly ventilated. There were areas on the back side of the hotel blocked off as they appeared to be in disrepair and down right unsafe. Unless they completely renovate this hotel soon, I for one won't be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
cheryl r, Manager at Swiss Chalet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

We apologize for the less than extraordinary experience as our guest. We are currently in the process of updating our hotel, both the interior and exterior. We can assure you that if you chose to stay with us again in the future that you will experience a much more improved stay. The areas that are blocked off are currently under construction. We would like for you to return again once our renovations are completed. If you have any questions or if you’d like to further discuss this review then please reach out to Cheryl at scrfrontdesk@yahoo.com.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

A medium hotel. We stayed in the depth of the off-season with the dog. A nice clean hotel, with kind friendly staff. The hotel and Ruidoso really appears to be heard to ski and summer season. I am not a skier, but this looks to be well positioned to the ski area. Our first night night we were the only guests staying there. Room was very spacious and no 'pet' smells or wi-fi (only at reception, and they closed at 8pm). The dog liked it. A little shy on the amenities, but still not bad especially having the dog with us. It really could use some paint and maintenance. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GusM
cheryl r, Manager at Swiss Chalet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

Gus,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay as our guest. We are in the process of adding wi-fi throughout the hotel and painting/updating our hotel. This will take some time and we can assure you that you'll see improvements the next time that you stay with us. We appreciate your loyalty to return again in the future and we look forwarding to seeing you again!

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Picture building a motel, yes motel, in 1960 and then never doing anything to it except adding a slim exterior to make it a "hotel" and cleaning and vacuuming. Welcome to the Swiss chalet. The "hotel" is clean but the good stops there. It is horribly outdated and on the verge of dilapidation. The stucco is crumbling and falling off, the carpet and furniture appear to be original and most vending machines, ice, washers etc are out of order.

Like I said this hotel is clean and if it's 2 am and you just need a place to crash it'll work. But I wouldn't stay here if I was planning a weekend getaway or a vacation to the area.

It has potential and I'm sure when it was first built or was great but it's in need of a serious remodel from the rooms to the buildings themselves. Wifi only available in lobby and the hottub broke and was filled in with concrete so there is only a small pool about 30x10 3-5ft deep. The pool is newer and probably the nicest part of the hotel. Only 1/3 of the rooms have decks however the decks are also newer. I'd say between the few decks and pool that's the only renovation been done to this property since it's inception.

I am writing this review in hopes that owners and management will realize that cleanliness alone isn't enough to run a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Nic_m3
cheryl r, Manager at Swiss Chalet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

We appreciate your honest feedback. However, we are very disheartened to hear about the experience you had as our guest. From what you have explained, it appears as though you stayed with us before our recent renovations. We have put up new outside paneling on our exterior, painted our decks and exterior walls and we've fixed the stucco areas. We are also going through all of our rooms and re-painting them along with putting in new carpets. These things take time but we are aware of our shortcomings and working on making our hotel a clean and relaxing place to stay. We would like for you to return again to see the vast improvements that we've made to our hotel. If you would like to further discuss this review, please take the time to reach out to Cheryl or Katie at scrfrontdesk@yahoo.com.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

my family and I had called to stay in on early apirl we arrived at the motel and it was really dark there was no lights what so ever on the left side of the motel however the front of the motel was in good shape and did have light . we walk in and it looks normal the front desk empolyee gives us a resanable price to stay . so I ask her if she could show us around to a room so she does there was many buldings we had to go through many doors as well which was kind of odd. we got to a section and it smells like wet dog . it was horrible the pool was a bit odd as well not to mention you have to lock it to get in and out . so the front desk employe shows us around to the room the beds looked really old and the pillows looks like they have not been changed the bathroom was ok but overall i did not like it . now we saw a suite and it was just like a normal standerized room except it had a balcony and the thing that botherd me was that there was no light at all ! so I was upset that there was no light to enjoy the view so what would be the whole point of staying if you cant see the view. we asked about breakfest and the lady said " well we have a waffle maker ". I am sorry but this hotel did not meet my standerds and it is a bit frightening how it is so dark . I dont recommend staying here

• Stayed: April 2014

We apologize for your less than extraordinary visit. We pride ourselves on providing clean smelling, sanitary rooms that have multiple lamps. We are working very hard on remodeling our rooms and updating our exterior work. This is a lengthy process and we are still currently working towards completing these updates to our hotel. We extend our sincerest apology for the status of our hotel when you visited but we can assure you that you’ll have a wonderful experience next time you visit. If you would like to further discuss this review, please take the time to reach out to Cheryl at scrfrontdesk@yahoo.com.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have stayed at the Swiss Chalet off and on for decades. I like it. But, it is very old and need of renovation. The floors creak, the carpet is original (?), and it has the feel of a very old motel. Ice machine busted, though bags of ice were available in the lobby at no cost.

That said, my family enjoyed our stay! The rooms are big with plenty of room to spread out. Our beds were comfortable. The rooms were comfortably clean and stocked for our needs. If you ski at Ski Apache, it is one of the very closest locations for lodging you can get (while also being very close to all you need in Ruidoso.) The staff was very kind and helpful.

We did not eat on-site, as food service is only available certain days of the week. They do have a heated indoor pool that we enjoyed.

When I asked my family if they would stay there again, they said "sure!"

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Rico3201
cheryl r, Manager at Swiss Chalet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with an honest review. We view your observations as an opportunity for improvement. We appreciate the positive feedback about our rooms and the compliments about our staff. Thank you for your loyalty to return again in the future. We look forward to having you and your family as our guests again!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

every year i attend the golden aspen motorcycle rally and every year my friends and myself stay at the swiss chalet no matter what time of year i make my reservation they always have a room for me yes the facility is undergoing renovations but keep in mind it is a business they cannot close the entire building down for construction i have found that for the age of the building it is in very good shape if i wanted 5 star accomidations i would stay else where but thier staff is 5 star i have never had a bad experience there so the ice machines may not work and u have to walk to the front desk to get ice big deal who couldnt use a nice refreshing stroll in the cool mountain air isnt that what u went to ruidoso for in the first place during the motorcycle rally most visitors are in their rooms by 10 pm and its quiet no holligans revving thier motors just good people enjoying what ruidoso has to offer the rooms are huge the beds comfy the lounge is first rate i will be there tomarrow 9-20-13 for the bike rally and look forward to staying at my second home the swiss chalet give it a try

Room Tip: rooms with balconys have great views