WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Ruidoso
el paso
“Not worth the money!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I spend the New Year's weekend at the Swiss Chalet and looking at the website; the hotel looked fairly decent especially since we have our dog. finding hotels in Ruidoso that are pet friendly is difficult so the Swiss Chalet and their $25 fee was reasonable, rooms are $90 a night by the way. They do not offer government rates so that was a red flag for me. when we arrived at the hotel, we first saw that the condition of the outer structure was in need of repair. The lobby are was just disgusting, the carpets were trashed and smelled of mildew. Our room, there was not one aspect that I though was appealing, the carpets were disgusting the pillows were stained, the toilet tub and sink were a mess. The balcony door was broken and was being held shut by the security chain which is a safety hazard. There are no phones in the rooms either. the only time I have stayed in a worse living condition was when I was deployed to Iraq. The ice machines dont work anywhere in the hotel and you have to go to the lobby to retrieve a bag of ice, there are no microwaves in the room either. The hotel staff was rude and in the middle of me asking them a question, the young woman working the front desk told me she had to take a call from her cell phone, it was her boyfriend and she proceeded to have a random converstation instead of taking care of a paying guest. We didnt even bother to try the Bar and Grill as we didnt want to take a chance of eating their possible substandard food if the rest of the establishment was any refelction. All in all, I would never stay here again regardless of vacancy in all of Ruidoso. I can look past the outdated 1970s look of the hotel, but I cannot look past the sheer disregard and lack of pride that the hotel owners take in their establishment. Steer clear from the Swiss Chalet in Ruidoso, dont take the chance.

Room Tip: I would try the Best Western near the Billy the Kid Casino for families with pets.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Raylee C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lubbock, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I and two of our closest freinds along with my daughter and her firend stay at the hotel this past weekend. I dont know what happened to the other people in theese reviews but i have no complaints. The hotel does need uptating but so does every hotel in Ruidoso that wasnt built in the lase 5 to 8 years. THey are working on it but i do understand it takes time. the rooms were clean the food was EXELLENT! THe view was great and the staff was as friendly as i have ever seen in Ruidoso. i will stay there anytime i go back to Ruidoso.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Palm Springs, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Property is in BAD need of maintenance and major upgrade. Staff & manager are professional and friendly. Views are spectacular especially from the patio. Dog friendly was appreciated. Probably would not stay here, again, unless it was a new structure. Did not eat or drink here but kitchen doesn't open until after 4pm - a bummer.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Len C

Travelers are raving about these Ruidoso hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely filthy and Horrifying! If first impressions are on top of your list, this isn't the place to say! The room was dirty and the carpet were stained as well as the bathroom falling apart. In all my year of travel I was never so disgusted at a hotel room like this. Water damage apparent throughout. I was literally scared to sleep in the bed. Give yourself a favor, choose another place.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sam I
Salem, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Worst food I have had in Ruidoso, NM and that is saying a lot! Ordered a burger and wanted it to be medium and came out a burnt hockey puck. French fires were over done and burnt to a crisp along with the tea tasting like toliet water. The overall atmosphere was terrible, old and very hot with the sun beating on my back. Over priced crap could of went to McDonalds and had a better burger...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Ishla F
West, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I arrived on a Friday. We stayed in a 3rd floor room with a balcony. The room was at the far far end of the hotel, far away from the lobby/office. No one else stayed on that end of the hotel. Our room was nice. The lobby you go through to get to the room had furniture from the 70's worn out and really tired looking.
In the hall right next to our room leaning against the wall right next to our door was a worn out mattress and box spring. Asked the desk clerk if they could be moved. "No, the maintenance guy is off until Monday" was his reply. So, I moved them as far down the hall as I could away from our room.
Next: We had the last room at the end of the hall. On the back of the door was the fire escape plan. The fire escape door was next door to our room. A good thing, right? Wrong. There is a padlock on the fire escape door. If a fire broke out in the middle of the hall and someone is in the room we had, they are screwed because of the lock on the door. Talked to the manager about it. She said the other side of the door is blocked, so it wouldn't do any good to take the lock off because you can't go out that way anyways.
Next: The view from the balcony was beautiful. That is the only thing good other than the room was large and clean I can say about our stay at Swiss Chalet "Shining" Inn.
Would I go back? Probably not.

Room Tip: To choose a good room I recommend go to another motel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Loreece
Goodyear, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Less than Motel 6, but nowhere else to stay.
The Good:
Location is great! Access couldn't be better. There are really only a couple places one can stay in Alto/Ruidoso for less than $100/night and they are both low quality (Apache Cabins comes to mind).
The Bad:
Carpets stained and worn; you don't want to walk on it without shoes or slippers. Shower stall in need of repair/replacement, it had mold and soap scum on assembly joints where it was starting to come apart. Sheets and pillow cases were clean, but thread bare. I don't think the pillows had ever been sanitized.
The Ugly:
Everything was rundown, as it room rental was taken in and nothing put back in to the property. In its day I bet this wasn't bad, but no more.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here try to get a room away from the road. Book early, as bad as it is, it one o...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple