“Cozy and comfortable budget stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sitzmark Chalet Inn

Sitzmark Chalet Inn
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ruidoso
Boulder, Colorado
“Cozy and comfortable budget stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Not fancy, an older property but cozy, comfortable and well kept with friendly and caring owners and homey touches in the rooms. Warm, homemade muffins and coffee are available in the morning and are not to be missed! We'll definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ECandC
SitzmarkRuidoso, Owner at Sitzmark Chalet Inn, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
We would like to thank you for recently taking the time to review our property :) We are glad that you enjoyed our stay with us....and that you enjoyed our muffins and coffee!! We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again soon when you are visiting the Ruidoso, NM area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

My family of 4 (including a 9 yo boy and 6 yo girl) were looking for an inexpensive place to stay for 2 nights while visiting Ruidoso. For the price you pay, this is perfect; exactly what I was looking for! Don't come here expecting giant floor to ceiling windows, granite counter tops, in room safe; it's older, but in a good way!! My allergy kid did fine. However, the Wi-Fi is free, Direct TV in room and you can secure your belongings in safety deposit boxes in the office (I did not use these). TV and Wi-Fi was great for winding down in the evening with kids. We used the sauna twice! Very cool! We stayed in room 18. What is most important to me in a hotel room is a comfortable bed and a quiet room. The beds are VERY comfy! So pleased! The pillows are too soft for my comfort but that is a personal preference, of course (and exactly why I bring my own pillow everywhere I go). I'm picky about my sleeping conditions and I slept very well here. The room was very quiet as well (and included is a bedside whitenoise sound maker!). This building is pretty old (thick walls) which I really appreciated! It is very clean and has a mini fridge and microwave. The Sitzmark doesn't have nasty sinks/bathtubs either. I also love that it has an old school key and lock because if I want to sneak out of the room for coffee in the morn, while family is sleeping, I don't wake them with a loud door like most modern hotels have. They have enclosed the walk way so that the doors do not open up to the parking lot, but a hallway with loads of windows, rather. The facility is decorated in a lot of retro and eclectic decor. It's really fun. ....retro metal lawn chairs, tic-tac-toe made of rocks, an old coin operated horse (like we had in the grocery store in the 70's). It's fun! Bathroom: a typical wall mounted hair dryer, wall mounted foam hand soap, tissues, towels. Bring anything else you need. Shower: hand pump body wash/shampoo combo. Not an issue for me either because I always bring my own shamp/cond. Enough pillows for each person to have two. Lastly, the location is closest to the beginning of town (when you come in from Roswell). It's maybe about 2 miles from downtown Ruidoso. We spend the majority of our time in Alto (Ski Apache area) and it was completely fine. This is a small town. You can go anywhere by car in 10 min, it seems. I wouldn't walk to downtown Ruidoso (where the shopping is). Prob need to drive for that. The owners live onsite. Neat place! Stay here. My family will be back!

Room Tip: We liked downstairs. Could barely hear any noise from upstairs. I just like that I didn't have...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank KeepinthePeace
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. Guests personal experiences are such a help to future travelers :) It is nice to know that you found our beds comfy, your sleep experience quiet/peaceful, and you found the joy in our eclectic décor! We aim for out of the ordinary so that you will remember your stay with us and not feel like your experience was "cookie cutter". We are also happy that you mentioned the Dohm white sound machines that we have placed in every room to make sure each guest gets a good nights sleep...this is a new amenity. Again, thanks for the review, and we hope to host you and your family again soon.
Laredo, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

My son and I stayed for 4 days at this adorable place. The room was very clean and cozy. I don't really know a better way to describe it. It may not have many rooms but you gotta make reservations on time if you want to enjoy this place. I missed trying the muffins and I wish it had a restaurant, but it is in the middle of the town so you have all the places, restaurants and fun around. My son enjoyed the outside porch area playing with the snow. We really enjoyed the place.

Room Tip: there is a sauna we didnt know about.I rated swimming pool but it is a sauna, very nice place.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We are also glad that you were able to enjoy some snow and our outside common areas while you were here. Visit us again soon so that you may try the muffins! :) Thanks again!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

A last minute trip to Ruidoso was highlighted by outstanding service from owner/operators Todd and Lori Robertson. My wife and I have travelled extensively and seldom find such personal care. While the Sitzmark is an older property with limited amenities, the "home town feeling" is a definite advantage and we look forward to another visit soon.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ed M
SitzmarkRuidoso, Owner at Sitzmark Chalet Inn, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We truly appreciate guests that take the time out of their busy schedules to leave feedback :) We are pleased that you felt at home while staying at our Inn. We strive to give one on one personal attention to each of our guests...we feel this detail is one of the many important traits that sets us apart from the big chain operations. We want you to feel "welcomed" each time you choose to stay with us! We look forward seeing you again soon...and thank you for choosing us while you were visiting the Ruidoso area!!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This place is darling. The rooms are cute, although modest. The beds are luxurious and comfortable and the morning muffins are to die for. I was told about the muffins, but found out for myself that it was true.

It feels safe here and I like how the rooms align on a clear-view indoor hallway.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RiverBirch1967
Thank you for your recent review. Your comments were most appreciated! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be pleasant and the bed comfortable. We are also happy our muffins lived up to their reputation! :) We try to keep them fresh, warm, and yummy. We were also very happy to read that you found the enclosed corridors led to a feeling of increased personal safety. While we live on property and do everything possible to ensure that our guests experience is pleasant and restful, that is another topic that we truly care about and like to inquire on. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to have you as our guest again when you are visiting the Ruidoso area!
Hobbs, NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

When reading a review, I always try to determine the age of the critic and where they live along with the number of positive and negative reviews they have written. Some critics only write reviews when their unreasonably high expectations are not met. I believe there are some that fit into that category in the reviews of the Sitzmark Chalet. I’ll tell you why I think so:

Ruidoso is a small mountain village of about 8000. Some travelers want the opulence found in large cities. If so, go to Dallas or New York City and pay the price. Some want shopping centers and malls. You won’t find them in here. Ruidoso has quaint little shops selling wares that one will not find elsewhere. The merchants will give you one-on-one attention that is difficult to find in large cities.

Stitzmark Chalet is one such business. It is home owned, home operated with a host that will strive to fulfill your needs. Some complain about the lack of a breakfast. Let me assure you that the hot homemade muffins are delicious. One will not find them in the high-end hotels. The rooms are on the rustic side of luxury, but they are clean and the beds are comfortable. Although the facility is next to a busy street, I never heard the traffic. They are air-conditioned for summer and heated with wall panel radiant heater for the winter. The description of the rooms found on their site is accurate; therefore, there is no need to post pictures for further documentation.

The question remains: Will I stay at the Sitzmark again? Yes, I will, and I will recommend it to other whose expectations do not rise to the level of the high-end Hiltons. Take your families and kick back and enjoy the quiet peacefulness of the mountains.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank retiree1986
SitzmarkRuidoso, Owner at Sitzmark Chalet Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We enjoyed it and found it to be spot on. We are a family owned business who strives to give you one on one personal service in a quaint and kitschy environment. We are not a chain hotel and don't try to be...we like to give you a unique relaxing vacation experience in a mountain town. We feel your review gives people the true knowledge that we are what we claim to be...not upscale... but fun, clean, relaxing, and welcoming. Hey...we still provide free Wi-Fi ;) And we are pleased you enjoyed our fresh morning baked muffins! Our small establishment doesn't allow the space for a full breakfast, but we wanted to give our guests a little personal touch in the mornings without raising rates. We aim to be family friendly, budget friendly, and vacation friendly!! Thank you so much for giving us a try and we look forward to hosting you again when you are visiting the Ruidoso area!
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

We saw that the Sitzmark was highly rated, and decided to see for ourselves. It is clean and comfortable and very well taken care of, The place is really neat, just wish we had thought of taking something to wear to enjoy the whiskey barrel sauna! It was cold outside, but very warm and cozy in our room. Yea its on the main drive, but from our room we never heard a sound. The staff was great, and I wish I had some more of the warm muffins back here at home. It takes you back to Ruidoso's past with all the modern conveniences of today!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clark N
SitzmarkRuidoso, Owner at Sitzmark Chalet Inn, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for the recent review of your stay at the Sitzmark Chalet Inn! We are happy that enjoyed your stay with us and felt like we lived up to the expectations of our reviews :) Hopefully on your next stay, you can enjoy the whiskey barrel steam sauna. Its a wonderful way to relax in the evenings. ...and those warm muffins in the morning will greet you when you wake up. We look forward to seeing you again soon!!