“Completely unimpressed with the whole experience”

Whispering Pine Cabins
Reviewed March 12, 2011

The boyfriend and I drove up to Ruidoso last minute and figured we would find a place when we arrived. It was snowing horribly so the first vacancy sign we saw we took advantage of; wish we wouldn't of.

1. The firewood was so far from the cabin it took us 45 mins to find it, retrieve it and bring it back to the cabin. We never did get a good fire going since the wood we found (not sure if it actually belonged to WP), was too wet.
2. At 2:30am the fire alarm started beeping loudly every 30 seconds (yes I timed it I was so irritated), due to a low battery. This continued throughout the night and was miraculously gone by morning.
3. I got up in the middle of the night due to the fire alarm and almost stepped on a black widow on the bathroom floor while barefoot.
4. Upon daylight inspection of the sheets in our bedroom, we realized they were NOT CLEAN and were covered in either dog hair, or someone with a lot of body hair had slept in them previously.
5. The "sponge" to clean the dishes with (which I can only assume the "house keeper" uses as well), was horribly old and covered in hair. I refused to touch it.
6. Upon further inspection of the whole cabin after finding the sheets in such a state, I found a HUGE cob web in the corner, lots of hairs in the bathroom that were not ours and unclean glasses in the cabinets that smelled of mildew.

On top of that awful experience, when I politely attempted to tell the owner (I assume she was anyway), about all of the issues we experienced, she interrupted me, and ASSURED me the sheets were clean because she "knows her girls changed them. If there were hairs on them, they must have been stuck there from the dryer." When I tried to explain to her that there was NO WAY these sheets were cleaned, she continued to interrupt me until I finally gave up. I was so baffled I forgot to even complain about the fire alarm. As I descended the steps to leave feeling pretty upset, she then tried to accuse my BF and I of having more than one key because "she had given us one key when we originally reserved the room, and another when we came to claim the room." This was not the case however, and I spent another 5 minutes arguing with her about the whereabouts of said key.

Overall I was shocked at the appearance of this place, the cleanliness which was non-existent, and then the way I was treated upon leaving. I assure you I was not rude to this woman; as a fellow business owner, I simply wanted to express my concerns about our cabin to her so she could fix them for the next guest. I would assume that did not happen.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Aspringer22

Reviewed February 25, 2011

My husband and I wanted to take a quick weekend getaway and thought this place looked cute from the website pictures. After driving two hours, we arrived at our cabin, only to find that it was filthy. The entire cabin had a bad odor and there were numerous stains on the carpet in all rooms. Overall, the cabin was dusty and even had cobwebs on the lamps. In addition, two of the handles on the kitchen cabinets were broken and one handle was on the ground. After some deliberation, my husband and I decided that we would not be happy staying at Whispering Pine cabins over the weekend. We stopped by the front office to let the representative know that the cabin conditions were unacceptable (especially considering the hefty price tag of $159 per night). The representative didn't have time to inspect the cabin and told us we would get a refund. 30 minutes after we departed to return home, I received a hostile phone call from the same Whispering PInes Cabins representative, during which she accused my husband and I of over exaggerating the lack of cleanliness in the cabin. She was honest enough to admit that the carpet needed to be replaced but didn't comment on the cabinet handles, broken blinds, or the smell. Contrary to a previous conversation that she needed to rethink the refund she was going to give us and that she get back to me in the near future. Our conversation also included several insults about my standards of cleanliness right before she hung up on me. I was very disappointed with the cleanliness of the cabin as well as the customer service. I certainly hope that they do not treat all of their customers this way. I will dispute the charge with my credit card company as my husband and I took several pictures to support our claims.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ALW51384
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We had some friends visiting from out of town that wanted to go skiing. We did a google search fro cabins and found Whispering Pine Cabins. The internet photos for the La Rock cabin looked really nice online. When we arrived it was totally different. The cabin had the following deficiencies:

1. Linen did not look clean and not folded - dingy.
2. Beds were severally worn down.
3. Dust everywhere - it appears that cleaning is done by each occupant - not by professionals.
4. Towels were old and worn.
5. Paint was peeling on the bathroom walls.
6. Wood is supposed to be available - minimum five pieces but there wasn"t any.
7. There was a supply cabinet that looked like it wasn't restocked in like forever. Old Champagne bottles and dirt under the kitchen sink.
8. Dishes and silverware were dirty.
9. Master bedroom linens - had some kind of white substance on the pillow.
10. Second bedroom - hair on the pillows and linen.
11. Windows missing blinds.
12. The cabin smelled old and musty.

To top it all off - we checked in late - after 9P.M., so there was time for cleaning.

We originally were going to stay for two nights but checked out the very next morning. According to their policy we couldn't even get reimbursed for the second night - because they claimed they couldn't get someone to come in and clean up the cabin to rent it again due to the long weekend.

Stay away from Whispering Pines. Look for other availabilities in the local area.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank LetdowninRuidos
WPCabins, Owner at Whispering Pine Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2011

I am sorry this guest had a problem with the cabin. When he checked out he did not mention any of his concerns, just that his group had to go back to El Paso. This type of review is typical when a guest has to leave early and does not get a refund. Our policy is straight forward about no refund for early departures, but if we can re-rent the unused nights we apply the balance towards another visit. Our policy is also very clear about our cabin amenities and overall conditions. If a guest has a concern they need to notify us so we can tend to the situation. If we are not notified then we can't react. Our sheets are not folded as the beds are made - this cabin had 2 new king beds put in 2 1/2 years ago. We just put in a new dishwasher, queen sleeper sofa and rocking lounge chair 10 days ago. Our woodshed is accesable 24 hours a day (location and code was provided to the guest). We have new linens and towels. There is no supply cabinet - supplies are stored under the sink and in cupboards. Upon inspection there was a little dust on the upper glass shelves above the fireplace.

Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed in the River Getaway cabin, which is located half a mile down a dirt road off Sudderth Drive - the main thoroughfare in Ruidoso. The cabin was quiet and we had a fair amount of privacy. The cabin was cosy and comfortable. We had a wood stove which warmed up most of the house very quickly. The beds were comfortable, as were the sofas.
There were a few minor quirks such as the porch light not working when we arrived but we found the management to be very helpful and they fixed that very quickly. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SJasmineG
Reviewed August 14, 2010

What a wonderful experience! Jace and Monti are such a delight! Our cabin was beautifully decorated, super clean, and very cozy. Our kids and chihuahua had a great time!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2010

The purpose of our get away was to unwind and recharge. Whispering Pine cabins was the perfect choice for our Ruidoso vacation. We were placed in the Lofty Pines cabin. It was a charming two bedroom, one bath cabin with a fireplace and a spacious front porch. One of the highlights consisted of relaxing on the front porch and watching the deer wandering on the property.
The managers, Jace and Monti Parchman were pleasant and accommodating. The cabins were well supplied with fresh, clean linens and towels and the kitchen was well stocked including but not limited to all necessary cookware, paper goods, and coffee. I found the managers to be very knowledgeable of the area with excellent recommendations for site seeing and local entertainment and shopping. My husband and I would not hesitate to return to Whispering Pine.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We were welcomed on our arrival with friendly, warm smiles. As we checked in and given directions to our cabin, Jace Parchman co-manager of the establishment, offered to lead us to our cabin. To our delight we were taken to the Lofty Pine cabin. It was just a perfect rustic retreat for us, Monti Parchman co-manager, had informed us that if there was anything we needed just to let them know. We had no need to contact them because there was everthing we needed made available to us. Our cabin was fresh, clean, and inviting. I would give this establishment and it's managers a 5 star review!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple