Whispering Pine Cabins
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown(Ruidoso)
Village Lodge(Ruidoso)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe riveraspen cabinhot tubpropane grillmanagement companykitchen utensilsrestaurants and shopsfull kitchenthree nightsroadrunnerpineconedeerofficeloftypetdeckfireplace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Being from El Paso, a two hour drive from Ruidoso, we have grown-up going to the cool mountains in the woods. Everyone from this region who knows Ruidoso understands that the Upper Canyon is the best place to stay in the village. With the river running through the area and cannopy of cool shade trees. We have stayed at many different cabins through the years but when we finnaly discovered Whinspering Pine Cabins we found our home away from home in the woods. We found the management to be friendly and helpful. We are pretty picky about the layout of our cabin and like it to be clean. They showed us their website and gave us the keys to several cabins that we liked so we could check them out. We have stayed at many different cabins through the years and one of our favorites is Cherry Tree, it is spacious and has a large bathrrom with a jacuzzi tub. The cabins have a nice outside area with grass lawns to relax and BBQ. The management is always quick to respond to our needs and knowledgable of the area. Our family always stays at Whispering Pine and we recommend it to all our friends.

Room Tip: Check out their website
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
WPCabins, Owner at Whispering Pine Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review. It is great to hear from you! We have been working very hard to ensure an enjoyable stay for everyone and clearly it is paying off.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Disclaimer: Read other TripAdvisor rebuttals from Mgmt... They will invalidate this review and make disparaging comments about me. They did so to my face and they insulted my family. In fact, I found the mgmt so surprisingly abusive that I sunk to their level and lost my composure. This review will document the problems we have with the cabin and with mgmt.

This has also been reported to BBB and Health Department.

We checked in on 8/17 and out on 8/21. We had two cabins: Knott Inn and Willard's Casa Grande. There were 6 people in Knott and 8 people in Willard.

At dinner the first night, in Willard, our adult daughter pulled the dining room chair to the table. The seat lifted from the base and her finger slipped between and was mashed by her weight. Clearly the chair was broken. Okay. We know that now and will ask mgmt to fix it the next day. Family in Knott asked me to report the porch light was out at the same time.

On 8/18, at 9:00 am when the office opened, I was there to report our two problems. The female looked apologetic. The male said the light at Knott had not been working for some time and they had not made time to look at it. (Later, he told my brother-in-law that the owner of the cabin would not let them spend the money to fix it. He makes disparaging remarks about his employers to guests of his establishment??? Classy.)

Then I reported the broken chair in Willard. The man said that all the chairs worked that way and that he was sorry our daughter got hurt and that she should be more careful. He walked away.

I was floored. There are 3 engineers in my family, an inventor with internationally issued patents and our daughter has a Master's degree. We took a vote - the chair was broken. My husband and I used the chair as a luggage rack so that it would not hurt our 18-month old grandson.

On our last day, 8/21, I could not leave the chair as it was as it might seriously hurt someone else. So I took it to the office and told the man I was not happy. He then agreed the chair was broken and told me it was my fault for not coming back to tell him of the problem. He informed me that we had 2 cabins (no kidding) and that I did not make it clear where the problem was. How could I, he walked off without caring! When I said the problem could have hurt our grandson, he said that if we had n 18-month old in there and were not paying attention to him, anything that would have happened to him would have been on us alone. Then, he aid that he thought it was our daughter that was hurt. I said yes and that she is 28. He said that if a 28-year old was hurt by a chair, she must have serious mental problems. (WHAT? DID HE JUST SAY OUR DAUGHTER HAS MENTAL PROBLEMS???) Yes and then he insulted me personally. He finished the conversation by saying that if only I was a calm and rational human being, he could have fixed the chair in 2 seconds! What a monster!!! About 5 minutes later he brought the chair to our cabin and said horrible things about me to my husband.

This man is horribly abusive! SO NOT RUIN A VACATION BY STAYING HERE!

There are other problems in Willard's too:

1. In the "Butler's Pantry" the linoleum is peeling up from the cabinet.
2. The middle shower floor is spongey which may indicate a mold problem (reported to the Health Department).
3. The two far left bedrooms have windows that do not lock. They are broken and will not lock. Do not leave any valuables. Read other reviews of things being stolen out of Whispering Pines cabins. The Police said they can not do anything until something is stolen. Don't be the one to report this problem to the Police.
4. One of the blankets smelled bad - like human debris - and it was fresh from one of the closets. Clearly, they do not clean thoroughly between guests.
5. Between the bar fridge and the cabinet was old cheese. We did not have cheese in there and I could tell it was old because there was a grease spot around the cheese.
6. There was a previous guests soap in the shower.
7. The drain board in the kitchen had old coffee stains in it from a previous guest.
8. The front bathroom shower had soap scum on the walls from years of not being properly cleaned.
9. Very poor lighting made us feel like we were in a cave.

All of this for nearly $2,000!

We are so very glad to be home!!!!!

Room Tip: Pick another lodge!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank DLemon
WPCabins, Owner at Whispering Pine Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

As the owners of Whispering Pine cabins and having spent the last three weeks working with management and staff to remedy some of the issues that arose from a very busy summer season, we are pleased to say that we have made great headway and that we are happy with the results of these efforts. We still have work to do, but the recent positive reviews are reflective of the efforts made by our team. Unfortunately, because of a simple routine maintenance issue that this guest chose to approach innappropriatly, we now have to defend ourselves. After considering the situation very carefully we can confirm that two of the statements made were true; there was a malfunctioning light and there was a loose seat on a new and very expensive hand made dining room chair. We will add at this point that we recently completed a $20,000 renovation of this cabin including all new kitchen and bath cabinets, counters and fixtures, new king beds in all four bedrooms and new flooring.

In the process of examining this situation we reviewed the office surveillance footage of the encounter with this guest. From this video it is clear that the claims that our staff acted unprofessionally is not supported by fact. The guest arrived angry and clearly out of control, obviously overreacting to a simple routine maintenance situation that we would have rectified immediately. In fact, she was so angry that our staff misunderstood what chair she was referring to, which postponed the repair as they struggled to determine what was going on.

When staff cannot reason with a guest they are instructed to ask the guest to calm down or leave and return when they are prepared to behave in a civil manner. This guest was having none of that. (Our staff is there to help, not to suffer the abuses of a guest who behaves in this manner) Nothing that occurred deserved the response from the guest that day and certainly not the one here on Trip Advisor, which includes claims never mentioned during their stay. We are quick to step up and take responsibility when we are at fault and make every situation right. You cannot serve over half a million guests, as we have, and not have some problems, all of which we take seriously and the reason why we have guest service and maintenance staff on call 24/7. Fortunately, it is very rare to encounter someone like this, but when it happens it is disappointing, especially after our management and staff make every effort to insure our guests have a first class cabin experience. Dealing with the public is the most difficult job of all and treating others with respect and dignity is not asking much from either side of the desk. We are very sorry that all of this happened, but we reject the punitive narrative of this review.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We recently stayed at the Sprucewood cabin which is privately owned and managed by Whispering Pines. The initial walk through left us with a good impression. That soon changed. The upstairs floor creaked so much that those in the downstairs bedroom could not sleep. The springs on two of the bunk beds were so bad that the people using them slept on the couch and the back of our SUV. The chlorine was so strong in the hot tub that we could not use it. Worst off, when we discussed these issues with the management, she advised she was sorry, but she really did not care other than telling us they had other cabins that we could rent. We will NEVER return here again.

3  Thank Arlis R
WPCabins, Owner at Whispering Pine Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

As the owners of Whispering Pine Cabins we are mortified by this review. We cannot express enough how this does not reflect our standards. We are currently working with our off-site owners and our management and cleaning staff to return our operation to its former glory. We are also re-investing in every cabin we personally own. Ruidoso is a rustic cabin destination for the most part and sometimes old is confused with dirty, However, we do not question the veracity of this complaint and we are completely embarrassed. We promise that every guest from now on will find our efforts to turn things around obvious. We also own Shadow Mountain Lodge, which is rated #1 on Trip Advisor and the same expectations we have from our staff here will be reflected in our renued efforts at Whispering Pine Cabins.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed in the Blue Spruce cabin. It was very cozy. Everything was clean and in order. The carpet could use a good stretching. More shelf space for keys and such (dog leashes..other small items) would be a plus. Great short walk to the river. After a day of walking downtown, the hot tub was amazing! The front desk worker was nice and knowledgeable of the area and sent us in the right direction for the dog park. Check out was fast and easy. Overall, a very relaxing and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Blue Spruce is small, but cozy...great for a couple.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed in the Chalet over the 4th of July weekend. The location is great. Everything else is very marginal. Won't stay at Whispering Pines again. The dishes were so greasy and dirty, we had to wash everything before we used it. The can opener was broken. They have a microwave, but no dishes are provided to use in it - glass or plastic. The upstairs toilet continued to run most of the time until we went back up to jiggle it. Took a towel off a rack and the rack fell off the wall. One fell off the wall the next day upstairs. The grill needs to be replaced. The kitchen silverware drawer is broken and if you don't open the door below it before pulling out the drawer, you will have all the silverware and the drawer on your feet - injuries will happen here soon. Lots of light bulbs are out of the lamps. Batteries dead in the remotes. Etc., Etc. I did call while we were there and didn't even get an apology. I wrote and email when I got home and after not receiving a response in a week, I sent another email. I did get a response and was pretty much told that's too bad, you can choose somewhere else to stay next time. WE WILL!

2  Thank Jan R

As the owners of Whispering Pine Cabins my wife and I are beyond disappointed in the review we received here. This does not reflect our standards and we are currently working with management and staff to rectify all the problems we have encountered recently. We are so sorry for anyone who has had a bad experience with us and we are committed to see these circumstances change immediately.