“Decent Pie, Intolerable Atmosphere”
Review of Cafe Rio

Cafe Rio
Ranked #6 of 90 Restaurants in Ruidoso
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: All of Café Rio’s offerings are made from scratch.Our recipes have been accumulated through years of professional cooking and employ the highest quality ingredients obtainable.We welcome both questions and comments on the origins and ingredients of our preparations.We hope you feel at home and we look forward to your return visit.-The Management and Staff at Café Rio
Reviewed September 27, 2013

An earlier review I wrote for this place, based solely on the excellence of the pizza, was positive. Alas, after a recent trip to Cafe Rio, I've completely reversed my opinion. The pie was still good, although not the the life-changing stuff we'd had there before. But even if the quality of the pizza remained superior, the atmosphere of this place would be enough to ensure we never visit it again.

Now, all other features being good, we would probably be able to put up with the grody neo-hippy atmosphere and the irritating hipster alt-rock. But all other features are not good. For while the staff are quite friendly to customers, they seem to be at one another's throats. There is a tense atmosphere in the fully exposed kitchen that is highly unpleasant. What's more, the last time we were there, a bizarre pizzaioli randomly barked out some indecipherable word at the top of his lungs with an angry expression on his face. Perhaps da kidz find this sort of atmosphere hip and "edgy." We find it obnoxious and unprofessional and will not return.

1  Thank PerilaguKhan

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Always enjoy their food the Kitchen Sink pizza is great one of the best I've had. Other food is usually good always a good experience

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This place has excellent pizzas, we always get one when we visit Ruidoso. Don't make the mistake of eating at the restaurant, order to go only

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stopped in Cafe Rio for pizza one night while visiting Ruidoso after reading other TA reviews. As other TA reviewers have stated, the pizza is good. There was only another table or two with customers as we arrived a little late for Ruidoso and our pizza was done in no time after placing our order. Customer service was good and the waiters were very polite and helpful.

Cafe Rio is small on the inside so if it's busy you might have to wait awhile. As others have said, it definitely has its own atmosphere, however, if you are a "clean freak" you might think it needs a good cleaning. We were a little skeptical of "hygiene" as some of the staff kept going back and forth between the sidewalk out front and the counter inside. Seems like they were going back and forth for a break or whatever other reason they might have.

All things considered, we would definitely order pizza from here again the next time we are in Ruidoso.

P.S. This establishment DOES NOT accept credit/debit cards so make sure you have cash.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had heard so many great things about Cafe Rio. "best pizza in town" "to die for"etc... Any way , let's say I was kinda disappointed when I visited Cafe Rio. It was extremely hot, humid and very crowded. We didn't know if we were supposed to seat ourselves or if someone would seat us. We kinda juts stood there awkwardly until the a man told us where to sit. It took a good 10 mins to get our drink order in, I had ordered the raspberry iced tea. Which tasted nothing like raspberry! Very bland I should of just ordered water. We ordered a plain 'ol cheese pizza, it was good. saw the man make the pizza right In front of us. That was nice.
I don't know if I would go back. Maybe just order the pizza to go.

Been to Cafe Rio? Share your experiences!