“Sunday lunch”

El Camino Nuevo
Ranked #63 of 89 Restaurants in Ruidoso
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 5, 2012

For years we've driven by this restaurant and today was the day we decided to try El Camino Nuevo for lunch. Sometimes the parking lot is empty and other times, it's packed. Today was a slow day with only 3-4 vehicles.

The exterior is in the process of being updated. They recently replaced the retaining wall and the work is still in process. Inside, it was a very pleasant surprise. It was bright and clean with authentic Mexican decor (the leather chairs are comfy).

The owner greeted us and a waitress escorted us to a table. We ordered our usual ice water and asked about any specials. She didn't mention specials but pointed out some of her favorites.

We started out with the complimentary green chili salsa. It was quite tasty with a little kick. The chips lacked salt but a dash of the shaker solved that.

Neither of us were starving so we each ordered the side order burritos. My husband had the shredded beef with the hotter red sauce and I had the chicken with green. Both were pretty good - a little more cheese would've been better and they did need salt (I don't usually say that) but they had that New Mexico kick! They are quite large - I only had about 1/2 of the tortilla itself.

In chatting with the owner, he told me they've had this retaurant for 14 years. Gradually, as they can afford to make improvements, they will continue to do so.

I think we'll be back when we have bigger appetites!

There are newer reviews for El Camino Nuevo

Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We visit Ruidoso one or two times a month and we try to eat El Camino every time we are in town. We love it.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

We ate here one night of our spring break trip because Casa Blanca was too busy and we decided to try them another night. Glad we did. The food isn't your usual Tex Mex but it's very authentic and very good. I believe this restaurant is family owned and ran because the owner was our server, and the other server I believe was his sister. He informed us his grandmother was the cook, which we thought was soo unique. Enjoyed it greatly and will return.

1  Thank amocomida
Reviewed August 12, 2011

The food at El Camino Nuevo was really quite tasty. The tamales in red sauce were very spicy and the Green Chile Brisket Burrito was nicely flavored. I thought the pre-meal salsa was also excellent. I see various Texans griping about the food but Tex-Mex and New Mex aren't the same. The flavors are quite different and should be enjoyed on their own merits. The service was attentive and polite and the prices reasonable for the portions.

1  Thank CraigF84
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We stopped in for a late lunch at around 2 in the afternoon. The chili relinos I ordered were swimming in grease so much that is was pooling on the plate and they were just a pile of mush. I sent it back and ordere flautas in their place and I guess they just reheated some leftover from the lunch crowd because they were so hard I literally could not bite through one. The beef inside was so over cooked that it was hard as jerky. I sent it back too and when I went to pay the manager had already told the waitress that I was going to have to pay for one of the meals. I argued about it and she agreed and seemed a bit embarrassed about asking me to pay for it. My daughters ordered kids cheese enchiladas and all they were were flour tortillas with shredded cheese sprinkled on them, rolled up and nuked in the microwave...with a pinch of shredded cheese sprinkled in top. Absolutely ridiculous. My parents' beef tacos contained reheated, very dry, luke warm ground beef. I think Maybe our food was just reheated leftovers because we were having such a late lunch but when you pay full price, you expect freshly cooked food.