“Tradition "New Mexico" Mexican food”
Review of El Comal

El Comal
Ranked #21 of 91 Restaurants in Ruidoso
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Good portions, good food (large burritos). El Comal is a bit hard to find
(Gazebo Shopping Center) and seating is limited. We sat outside in the sun (mistake),
but definitely enjoyed the food.

1  Thank EnglishTeacher1

Reviewed July 14, 2010

Small restaurant with cute outdoor seating in a rear courtyard. Very friendly frequent service. Unique and tasty menu. Good churros!

1  Thank TheToughBrets
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We ate there about a month ago and thought the Mexican food was fair. I've eaten at many Mexican restaurants - best to worst and I would classify this one as in the middle. Not even the best in ruidoso in my opinion.

1  Thank matcait
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stumbled on this cute little restaurant tucked into "The Gazebo" strip-mall in "mid-town", Ruidoso, New Mexico late last summer...

The name, El Comal, attracted us as we have a home in Sonora, Mexico, and know very well that the "comal" or "griddle" on ones stove is where tortillas are made daily..... Thus intrigued, we decided to stop in.

That was over six months ago; and we had such a fabulous meal that we have gone back at least once weekly whenever we are in residence in our condo in Ruidoso. The menu is varied enough that we always want to try something different, yet not too "busy". The entire family pitches in to help greet, prepare meals, and serve, and you can tell their friendliness and attention to your table are heartfelt. THe seating is such that you can sit inside or out under a portal covering if the weather allows; and a larger room in back will accomodate more or larger parties...

It is definately worth seeking out and trying this restaurant. The food is much better than any other Mexican restaurant in town - hands down!

2  Thank alamosartist
Reviewed May 3, 2010

We tried this restaurant based on it being the #2 in Ruidoso. We were definitely not dissapointed. The place looks very tiny, from the outside and the moment you walk in, but as previously stated they have a back room with more tables. The kitchen is open style so you can see food being prepared. This has a family friendly run appeal. It appears the mom and dad are cooking and the daughter serving.

Now the food. I ordered a cheese enchilada and beef chimichanga, which was very flavorful and hot and fresh. It comes with beans and rice as expected. We also ordered guacamole. The salsa and guacamole, I have to agree with past reviewers, is one of the best. We had to keep getting more salsa brought to the table, which they were more than happy to do. My wife ordered the chile rellano, which she said was real good. The kids had bean and cheese burritos, which I have to say, the beans had a spicey kick to it, so they did not eat it. The girl offered to swap out the burritos with anything else, so we decided to order the kids a cheese and chicken quesadilla, which was great. We decided to keep the burritos anyway and pay for them, as my wife and I ate them.

I noticed Jamaican ice tea on the menu so I asked the girl what it was, she did not hesitate to explain and bring me a glass to try. I did not like it, but the girl was nice to bring it.

Fantastic service, great local homemade food. I would for sure eat there again if I am back in town.

1  Thank uplandtraveller

Been to El Comal? Share your experiences!