“Great fun for the family!”
Review of Grindstone Stables

Grindstone Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: One hour guided horseback rides for the whole family! Please call for prices and reservations.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Super sweet people! My 11-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter loved it. Beautiful scenery, very personable guides, sweet horses, and a great time for all of us!

1  Thank Jill P
"scenery"
in 16 reviews
"rebecca"

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just was not great. Staff was very good, well organized, and nice facilities. But our family of 6 was part of about 15 riders on a very well worn trail. The riders escorting us were polite and good at conversation, but at the end my wife commented that it felt like a long ride at the country fair where they have horses walking around in a circle -- I started laughing because I felt the same way. If it is your first time on a horse it is a nice start. But if you have done it before this is going to feel very contrived.

3  Thank Allen T
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

As my friend and I said: "....a really nice and hunk of a wrangler; cold mountain air; gorgeous day; great horses; good friends ----- all priceless!!!!

1  Thank PegJohnston
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time this last weekend riding at grindstone stables. Our wrangler Joe was friendly and answered any questions we had for him about the area. The trail was nice and had great views of the lake. We would recommend riding with this company if you are in the ruidoso area. We will be back!

1  Thank Eleta82
See more reviews
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Having first hand knowledge of the riding stable business by growing up in and managing a stable way before Grindstone Stables became an area attraction, all I can say is WOW!!! The owners and employees are well informed of the Ruidoso area, giving their customers a "local's rundown" of the other best places and things to do in the area, which can only ensure a better visit to Ruidoso (all you have to do is ask). Their horses are fat and happy, a sure sign that the owners genuinely care for their animals. Their horses range from well trained ponies that are happy to carry small children around the trail to horses for the horse owners out there who would like the opportunity to ride in the mountains. (Remember, it is a trail ride, if you want to play racehorse, go to the track). The wranglers (or guides as they were called back in my day) treat each individual guest with respect no matter their riding experience, age, or any difficulty that the guest may have. The owners have a natural knack for matching their guests personalities with the horses personalities (yes each and every horse does have a distinct personality), as well as having the ability to make sure each guest is comfortable in the saddle or staying back waiting on their family to come in off the trail. The trail itself is beautiful mountain and forrest scenery even to someone like me who has lived in the mountains all my life! I can just imagine what the area looks like to the flat landers and city dwellers who come and experience Grindstone Stables! Now that's just the horseback riding part of the business. During the winter months Grindstone Stables also offers horse-drawn sleigh rides through the historic Upper Canyon in the evenings. Want to experience some old fashioned Christmas magic? Be sure to book a sleigh ride. Beautiful Christmas lights and music adorn one of Ruidoso's oldest areas, and the residents of the Upper Canyon actually come out and wave to the sleigh guests! For a relaxing and fun experience for the whole family Grindstone Stables simply cannot be beat. As long as I can ride (I may be young at heart but my body doesn't always agree with that) I will visit Grindstone Stables every chance I get!!!!! The $30 plus tip price for the trail ride is well worth the experience, and who knows, you could learn quite a bit about Ruidoso's history and other area attractions in an hours time, which is something that money usually cannot buy. One last piece of advice, be sure to call ahead and make a reservation. Since they are so popular they seem to stay very busy.

2  Thank Dawn V
grindstonehorses, Owner at Grindstone Stables, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Wow! Thank you. We truly love what we do here at the stables. It is wonderful when others can recognize that and appreciate it!