“The ride started out great but did not end up that way.”
Review of Grindstone Stables

Grindstone Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: One hour guided horseback rides for the whole family! Please call for prices and reservations.
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My family and I decided to go to Grindstone for a horseback ride because I had taken my children there when they were young and they loved it. This time, my 4 year old granddaughter was with us. She had never ridden and we wanted her to ride with us but after the staff talked to us and got her comfortable on a horse named Pumpkin, she decided she wanted to ride by herself and be led by one of the cowboys. The ride went well until about five minutes left. and her horse slid and bucked her off. Luckily, we were on soft dirt and she had scratches and the breath knocked out of her only. I understand this could happen but the owner never once asked us how she was or checked on her. I would think he would want to know and would ask us what happened or at least check on her. It was as if he couldn't get rid of us fast enough so the waiting customers wouldn't find out. My granddaughter was so sweet, she even checked on Pumpkin to see if she was ok.

3  Thank saltydog4
grindstonehorses, Manager at Grindstone Stables, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2011

Any accident when horseback riding is unfortunate. Especially when it involves a child. When we learned that the young ladies horse had stumbled and she came off , needless to say, we were all sickened. However, the wrangler on the ride assured us she was OK, just frightened by the fall. It was a very busy day, and there were other customers waiting to ride, but it was certainly no ones intention to rush you out of the stables. We try to show every guest the hospitality they deserve, after all, we are very grateful for every one that partakes in our rides. Of course we regret that she had an accident, but when you are in the horse business this is a pill that you, once in a while must bitterly swallow. It is just the nature of the beast. But our biggest regret is that you felt our concerns for your granddaughter were not adequately expressed. I apologize for this and hope you will except it as a sincere regret. The young lady had an endearing spirit and we never meant for you or her to feel pushed aside. I hope she will continue to ride in the future, whether it be with us or at other locations, although, we do hope to see her and her family here again, as we like to think of all our riders as friends and we enjoy keeping up with everyone year after year.

Reviewed June 2, 2011

Today was no doubt the highlight of a great family vacation to Ruidoso. My husband and I had taken a sleigh ride Thanksgiving weekend through Grindstone Stables. We made the decision that when we brought our entire family this summer that we would book a horseback ride through them. It was a great value, which is a big plus. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We were each matched to an appropriate horse. Two of us are 60+, 4 are 36-40, then 13, 9, 6, and almost 3, a great time was had by all. Our little one rode with his Mom, the 6 yr. old rode his own horse led by one of our guides. It was a beautiful ride through tall pine trees up the side of a mountain. We highly recommend Grindstone Stables.....we will definitely go back again!! Mike and Susan Coon & family

3  Thank SuSu62
Reviewed April 24, 2011

me and my wife went to visit ruidoso for 2 day visit. i was skeptical about horse riding. But we decided to go anyway. it was for 1 hour, the ride was just amazing. it is the first time we rode a horse.they took us thru the woods, we climb upto the top of the hill. i would say all in all it is a great experience, i would say if i go to ruidoso again i would definitely take another ride, it is the money worth spending, that is how i feel.

3  Thank Thespian_Traveler
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Our family enjoyed the one hour ride up/down the mountain through Lincoln Natl Forest with Grindstone Stables and staff. Staff and owners very friendly. Horses and riding tack in great shape. Beautiful scenery. Would recommend you wear pants--you are riding through trees after all and some of the horses liked to cut it close to the trees.

2  Thank Teaniebop
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Fantastic horses and staff... Would recommend most definitely..Take the hour unless you have ridden alot... hour was enough

1  Thank Wedgeworth