“Consistantly Clean and Friendly Staff”

Comfort Inn - Midtown
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Ruidoso
GreenLeadersBronze level
El Paso, Texas
“Consistantly Clean and Friendly Staff”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I am a Choice Hotels Diamond Member which means that I travel quite a lot for business in one year. In order to achieve Diamond status a member must stay at Choice Hotels at least 40 times per year, however I average over 100 hotel stays per year. This means that I am pretty savvy when it comes to hotels.

I have to say that the Comfort Inn Midtown in Ruidoso, NM has come a long way. I remember not three years ago this hotel was average. They had what appeared to be dated furniture, filthy carpet, and so so beds and bedding. Today this hotel is quite nice, refurnished and clean. I have to say that I like the new dark wood furniture with granite tops as well as the new beds. I especially like the bedding because the heavy thick comforter is gone and replaced with a lighter yet pleasant bed spread. I don't feel like I'm under a ton of bricks like I did with the older heavy comforter.

The staff is very friendly and accommodating. For example I called the front desk one time to ask if they had toothpaste because I forgot mine. The desk agent said that they did and I said that I would be down in about ten minutes to pick some up. To my surprise the desk agent brought the toothpaste to me so that I wouldn't have to go down stairs. That was cool, I thought.
Another time I made a reservation late in the day. Late enough that the online reservation stated that it was past the deadline to cancel. I reserved the room anyway. Not ten minutes after I made the reservation, my boss calls me and says that she needs me to leave town and drive across the state to another client site. I called Comfort Inn Midtown to ask if they could cancel my reservation. I didn't expect them too because the deadline had passed. To my surprise they accommodated my request without hesitation. Now that was awesome, I was very happy.

If I could think of one thing that I could change about this hotel it would be the wifi service. 99% of my traveling is for business. I work in the IT Industry and so "Being Connected" is vital to my work. I find it difficult to VPN into the work servers or into a client site with the poor wifi internet service. The recent speed tests range from 500Kbps to about 1.5Mbps. This speed is unacceptable for business clients like myself and this is the only reason that I cannot in good conscience give this hotel a 5 star rating. Fortunately for me, I use my iPhone as a WiFi Hotspot and get around 3Mbps which is much faster that the free hotel WiFi.

I would definitely recommend this hotel due to the staff and cleanliness. But the WiFi can use some over hauling.

Room Tip: In the winters its damn cold. Bring lots of layers of clothing. The Skiing in the area is great to...
Green Features: I love the fact that a majority of their rooms are smoke-free and
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 915_BLo
Paaru, General Manager at Comfort Inn - Midtown, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for the great detailed review. We value your feedback. I am sorry to hear about the internet problems. We have internet speed of 12 Megs at the hotel. We also have a company that monitors our wi-fi 24-7 for outages on access points. We also have a toll free number that guests can call if they encounter any problems. The toll free number is in the guest services directory in the rooms. The equipment for wi-fi that is installed is commercial grade that can be monitored remotely. We apologize for the wi-fi problems. We will ask our monitoring company to do diagnostics tests on the equipment which they can do remotely. In the future we hope calling the tech support number will resolve any issues with internet that you might encounter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is a nice place for the price. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. I take a business trip every year and this place is always very busy. The lady that was at the front desk was very courteous and friendly. Although, I felt bad for her beacuse she was still working in the morninig when I checked out. She was still very courteous and friendly. Kudos to her!! The breakfast is quick and easy in the morninigs as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for the positive review. We value every comment from our guests. Our goal is to try to please every guest of our hotel.
Oceanside
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I were exploring the town of Ruidoso and I picked the Comfort Inn based on other Tripadvisor reviews...we were not disappointed! The inn sits on a hill off the highway with a beautiful view of the surrounding area. They have a covered deck with tables and chairs where we had a snack and refreshments...very relaxing after a long drive. The rooms are big, clean and the Inn has a nice free breakfast. There is an inviting indoor pool and spa..an exercise room and friendly staff..The price was only $79...good deal!!

Room Tip: Try to get a third floor..road side with a view of the hills.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bikealotOceanside
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great Hotel!!!! We had 2 adults and 4 children on this trip; they gave us a family room which had 2 queen beds and a queen hide-a-bed. The room had a fridge and a microwave. Everything in the room was top notch, very nice! We really enjoyed the heated indoor pool and the hot tub; it was the high light for the kids. The breakfast included in the stay was great also! No complaints at all and I would definitely plan to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank maez9
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed at the Comfort Inn with my Husband and Son for one night. We wanted to extend out Ruidoso vacation. I got the reservation on Priceline. When it snows, and over Christmas break, you will just pay premium price no matter where you stay. Our price was about 130.00 for the night. This hotel is great! My husband and I enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub, so pack your suit! My only complaints are that the bed pillows are odd? On the small side. We brought our own, so it was ok. Also, I asked for a roll away bed for my son and they were out. We all crammed into a King Size bed. We made it, but it would have been nice to have the roll away, So.....make sure you ask for a roll away as early as possible! Our bathtub was cracked too and it leaked. The breakfast is fine. The staff is very friendly. It is clean. You can walk to shops and reatsurants for this hotel, which is a huge plus. We saw deer outside our window in the morning too. You wont go wrong staying here

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank spilover
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed for 1 night with my family recently and liked the place, though there were a few issues. The room (2 queens) was very spacious, with a pretty large living area as well, bigger than most "suites", though this was not billed as a Comfort Inn and Suites. The decor was newer and nice in general (remodeled this year). The indoor pool was quite warm (great in winter) and the jacuzzi was hot (even better in winter). Located right in midtown, so easy access to shops and restaurants. Beds were comfortable, but nothing to write home about. Window unit A/C, but ran quietly and did not wake me up by kicking on/off all night (it's winter, so didn't need to kick on frequently, but it was quiet when it did.) Breakfast was crowded (small area) and the entire thing was picked over and not replenished well (around 8 AM, so not early or late). Also, noise from above and from kids running the halls transferred well into the room, so not the quietest place ever, but not too bad either.

All in all, a pretty nice place. We'd stay again, but you better set your alarm early if you want the free breakfast.

Room Tip: Top floor may help keep noise down
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TopofTXtraveler
Iowa
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were passing through New Mexico and found this little gem hidden in a cute little town. Upon check in, we noticed our room overlooked a woodsy area - different than most hotel settings. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly, answering my many questions about the area. The breakfast area is large with plenty to safisty everyone. There are plenty of restaurants in the town if you would want to eat out. After we checked out and had driven a few blocks, we noticed a big deer standing on the side of the road - a nice and fitting ending to our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bluemountain24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruidoso
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown
#7 of 23 in Ruidoso
Best Western Plus Ruidoso Inn
Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins
Quality Inn & Suites - Ruidoso Hwy 70
MCM Elegante Lodge & Resort
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ruidoso Downs

Been to Comfort Inn - Midtown? Share your experiences!