“Fantastic stay - superb staff & service”

Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
New York City, New York
“Fantastic stay - superb staff & service”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Leopard Hills for 4 nights on our honeymoon, and it was, by far, the highlight of our trip. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful (particularly those in the dining room), and we couldn't have been more pleased with the game drives led by our ranger, Hugo and tracker, Eric. Both went above & beyond to ensure all guests were pleased with their experience and comfortable for the drives. The villas were beautiful - very clean, with gorgeous views of the reserve. We thank the entire staff for a wonderful stay - we hope to return again in the not too distant future!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I must admit that I had high expectations for this game reserve given the pictures and great reviews. From the moment I arrived and found elephants eating right in front of my room, I was not disappointed. In fact, the first day was so incredible, it was hard to top it.

Elephants and Nyla were in front of my room/balcony most of my first afternoon and for my first evening safari I saw leopards mating, giraffes, rhinos, lions, elephants and much more.

The next morning, just when I thought it could not get any better, we saw a cheetah (which are very hard to find!). That evening, when we returned from our game drive, the staff had a hot bubble bath waiting for me in my room (they had overheard me mention how much I love taking baths). That was one of the highlights of the trip.

I would definitely recommend this game reserve if you want a quiet place to get away. This resort is very small/boutique, but was perfect for what I needed.

Room Tip: Room 8 was amazing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JenHillJHCCS
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I were rushed out the door on the morning of our departure. While trying to enjoy our last morning in the bush, I was asked by 3 different staff members about our departure time. The staff made it clear that the next guests were arriving at 11 AM and they wanted to have our room ready for the next guests at that time. We were leaving around 9 AM, which I told each staff member that asked, but I felt very annoyed that I had to be asked by multiple staff members. I felt we were being rushed out the door, which is not the treatment you would expect at a lodge that claims to provide you with the "ultimate in luxury." The manager, Duncan Rodgers, can try to refute this, however he was not present the morning of our departure. Furthermore, the lodge had made no effort to make sure our room was ready when we arrived, which may have been because we received a "heavy discount" of 20% off. Maybe if you pay full price you are treated better, but I felt that my business was not appreciated and I will not return to this lodge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelers-365
Duncan R, General Manager at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your review.

Again not more much I can add other than what has been written in the two previous articles written by the same Group that you were here with. I have added our response in full to the first article that was posted.

On a parting note however, you were not asked to leave your Room by 09h00, we don't, and we never have asked any of our Guests to vacate a Room before 11h00. You will quite clearly recall that there were some of your Group that requested a late departure, and we managed to accommodate them until 16h00 in the afternoon.

You have my full and unreserved apology for not being present for your departure, I was out in the bush on an "anti poaching patrol" and did not return until around lunchtime.
Zürich
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Our villa had a sun deck with a plunge pool and an outdoor shower. We regularly saw animals while sitting outside.
In a tastefully done bathroom was a free standing bathtub with the same view. The equipment of the room matches the high standard of the resort.
Architecturally surprisingly well adapted to the rock it stands on is the restaurant / bar. From the outside dining area the view is directly to a waterhole and the hilly area around the resort.
Service in the restaurant is excellent and personal with a special touch. The food is very good. During dinner our ranger hosted a table for the group.
The lodge has a huge library in an own building. WLAN is available in the library only.

The game drives are exceptionally good. Viewing of all big five is almost certain on most drives. The animals are used to the Land Rovers and the cats are sometimes practically on touching distance. Even on a bush walk during the day we had sights such as a group of hippos grassing.
The leopard sightings were amazing and justify rightly the name Leopard Hill.
We switched rangers due to their schedule. Both rangers were very good and with a personal touch. Eric – the tracker – stayed with us during the five nights stay. He is a little shy at the beginning, but he tells a lot of entertaining bush stories during the coffee or drink break.

Truly special place!

1 Thank G_Asherton
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent one night (unfortunately) at Leopard Hills on our way back home from another lodge in the Kruger. Having been lucky enough to have visited Leopard Hills on many occasions before- I was really looking forward to our very brief stay since it has been a few years since my last visit.
I thought I'd write a new review now since quite a bit has changed since then. Most of the rooms have been renovated (the rest are currently under renovation) and are really quite beautiful- very much a modern Africa feel. The decks have been extended and the bathrooms completely revamped- there is underfloor heating and heated towel racks as well as the nifty sensor bathroom light that comes on when you stumble your way to the bathroom at night. Other small changes include reading lights above the bed, nespresso machines, tons of lighting options including a pool light, as well as well-located and international plug fixtures (this may sound silly but the number of places we have been to with plugs that are inaccessible, or that we are unable to use blows my mind).
The game viewing, as usual, was more than we could have hoped for. Leopards, lions, cubs, elephant, hippo, giraffe, zebra and the list goes on... –this was only on 2 game drives!! Our ranger Hugo and tracker Eric were wonderful.
It makes me sad to read reviews of 1 or 2 out of 5- especially claiming the staff are poor. In the 5 or 6 years I have been to this lodge I have only come across incredibly friendly staff willing to do anything to help. Most of the staff members have been there for a very long time and getting to know them just adds to the wonderful experience provided by Leopard Hills.
I haven’t been to any other lodges in the Sabi Sands (but have heard good things about many of them) so I wouldn’t be able to compare- however Leopard Hills will always hold a special place in my heart, and when you come across a place that is so perfect it’s hard to even contemplate going elsewhere. If you are planning a trip to Sabi Sands (highly recommended) then go to Leopard Hills- you will be blown away.

1 Thank Catherine M
Melbourne
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Leopard Hills in late April as the second lodge we visited in the Kruger area. The first lodge was fantastic but Leopard Hills took the whole experience to another level. Tracking of the animals in their natural environment was exhilarating with the tracker and ranger displaying exceptional skills and with the latter keeping us entertained with his cheeky personality. The drive environment was very conducive to rapidly developing a rapport with other guests. The lodge itself was first class from the wonderful accommodation, to the great central areas and to the library and the gym. We sat on our balcony and watched elephants eat their way through the bush just below and hippos visit the watering hole just down the hill.
The service team was amazing without exception and Duncan should be proud of the group that he has put together and trained. We could not rate Leopard Hills any higher and look forward to a return visit in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at Leopard Hills in early April as part of our Honeymoon (South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe), all the places we stayed at on our trip were 5* Luxury accommodation, but I can say without reservation Leopard Hills was the highlight! We saw more/such diverse game during our stay than we did during the rest of our trip (yes even Botswana!).

The service was quite extraordinary – they possess that rare quality (not often found these days) of making each and every guest feel very special and the attention to detail is truly hard to beat. Honestly, how many superlatives can I use to describe Leopard Hills? well, even if I digested a whole dictionary it wouldn’t be enough!! The surroundings are beautiful, the food unforgettable, rooms are magnificent, the decor stunning and the games drives truly great.

The management and staff were exemplary - very welcoming, warm, professional and hard working ....... and entirely honest and trustworthy (as one would expect in a high end establishment such as this, but just to share MY experience) early one morning in my eagerness to get on the drive vehicle I rushed out - after having washed my hands, grabbed my camera/things etc. and realised later that I had inadvertently left my diamond engagement ring and new wedding ring – which was actually an heirloom (my grandmother’s wedding ring which I had had resized for my wedding, so it was of significant sentimental value) in the room! They were there when I got back (and yes the maids HAD been in to clean the room).

Any down sides? YES! I now have withdrawal symptoms as I constantly want to be back there!!!! 

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BEY1
Duncan R, General Manager at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
What a wonderful way to start the day by receiving this amazing feedback.

From the entire Leopard Hills Team, we appreciate you taking the time and effort you have put in to communicating your experiences with us here at the Lodge.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
#14 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
#13 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve? Share your experiences!