All reviews outdoor shower game viewing water hole vuyatela lodge south africans kruger national park an amazing place incredible sightings close quarters afternoon drive game drives per day amazing game traversing rights lounge area every meal sabi sands game reserve bucket list
Selected filters
Reviewed June 22, 2012

It is a week since we returned from Vuyatela Lodge at Djuma, but I am still reading up and contextualising the experience. Nothing prepared me for how good it was going to be! The bushveld scenery is magnificent, with beautiful trees, the lodge is luxurious without being pretentious and the staff were friendly, helpful and very, very capable: special mention of Luzile, the chef, Ephraim the ranger/driver and Amos the tracker! I now have the Djuma webcam running in the background on my computer, and have read up about Karuma the leopard and the intimate relationships people around the world have built up with the Djuma animals, most without ever having set foot in Africa. The love of the bush and the commitment to the guests of all involved at the Lodge leaves a lasting impression. I have had many experiences in the bush and this must rate as one of the greatest. I have posted pics and stories on my blog - see

Room tip: Make up a party of 8 or 10 - you will not regret it!
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I never thought I would be able to recharge my batteries by spending a weekend away in the bush. But that is exactly what happened at Vuyatela. The lodge itself is beautiful, decorated with local South Africa art. The staff friendly and attentive without being intrusive. It was wonderful to come back from a superb game drive, to a delicious meal prepared by the amazing Luzile. Ephraim and Amos managed to find the Big 5 within 24 hours, but more importantly was the interesting facts about the tree's, insects, birds and smaller animals. It is a place I could see myself visiting again.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

A group of friends joined me for a spectacular break away at Vuyatela Lodge in the Sabi Sands. We were thoroughly spoilt by Luzile who made magic with our supplies and produced mouth-watering meals. The lodge itself is luxurious but also quirky and fun with really funky artwork and details. Of course, Pippa's mosaics are stunning and make a really personalised impact on guests. We had really fabulous sightings of leopard as well as 9 lions heading off on a hunt together, elephant as well as 7 (plus 3) rhino completely relaxed and having a bush brunch as well as a herd of hundreds of buffalo. Seeing the Big 5 was great but we thoroughly enjoyed just being in the bush with mongoose, waterbuck, zebra, nyala, impala, wildebeest and kudu. There were fabulous sunrises and sunset scenes, great trees and some great sightings of Gymnogene, African Fish Eagle, Bateleur as well as Long-tailed Shrikes and the other bushveld birds. Jurie and Pippa have created a fabulous lodge which is affordable for South Africans. What a treat to feel like you have your own game lodge in this stunning bushveld environment.

Room tip: Room Number 1 has the best views of the waterhole!
1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was honoured to take my whole family to Vuyatela Private game Lodge, - as a Self catering lodge, a person has a preconceived idea,but W O W!!!! you have no idea,...as you get there, you are greeted by friendly staff, who unpack your car, - drop off your groceries, in the kitchen, and "voila" - your private chef does the rest!!! -Luzile is Master Chef of the Sabi Sands, I'm sure!!!, as her food is absolutely DELICIOUS!. -
Your bedroom is set to the backdrop of a watering hole, where the animals, walk down periodically to drink, even the outdoor shower enables you to feel the "Soul of Nature", and not to miss out, on the animal action!!!
- the main deck, closer to the dining area is also a superb way to enjoy a gin and tonic, while watching the game, sporadically amble down to the water hole.
We were exceptionally privileged to see the BIG 5, but not the exception,... when I read all the other reviews, about Vuyatela, - it seems everyone else also saw the BIG 5, Thanks to Eprahim , and Amos,(our driver and tracker) who enabled us to see Leopard stalking Impala, a Lion with a kill, a herd of Buffalo, a herd of 25 Elephants, and Rhino.
This exclusive lodge, is more appreciated, because of it unpretentiousness, and the essence of Africa is truly felt, by the words that mean "Come and visit again" ... VUYATELA!

Room tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are closer to the water hole
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Joined another family for a weekend in April 2012. Game viewing was unbelievable - saw no Zebra though - priceless sigtings of big 5 in first 24 hours.
Facilities was top class. Even though it was selfcatering we were treated by an amazing chef Luzile and all meals were 5 star. Will go back anytime and can recommend to anybody who loves the bush in luxury!
Johann