We just returned from our 2 week trip to South Africa and Mozambique, which included our four night stay at Chitwa Chitwa. I can honestly say that Chitwa was the highlight of our trip and it far surpassed our expectations. We knew the accommodations, the food and the game drives would be awesome, but we didn't know that the level of service and hospitality we received from everyone at the lodge would be so extraordinary. Claudia and Leon have been at Chitwa since January as the managers and they run an amazing lodge. Everything that goes on at the lodge is thoughtful, top notch and goes over and beyond down to the candelabras that are used for each dinner and the authentic boma that they host during each 4 night rotation. Claudia and Leon surprised us with a private candlelit dinner in the bbq area to celebrate our anniversary and 30th birthdays which was something we will never forget. Our ranger, Surprise, was unbelievable (and yes, we hear he has a following on YouTube) - he taught us both so much about the bush and the animals. He even caught a bird with his bare hands who flew into our room one night.
The only minor complaint we would have was we were surprised that on our 4th day the entire lunch and dinner menus were repeated...I would have thought that maybe after a week or even 5 nights they would repeat given their remote locale, but a 3 night food rotation seemed a little short.
We will definitely recommend Chitwa to everyone we know going on Safari in South Africa. I researched all of the top lodges and I have to say that given the price (it was less than Londolozzi and Ivory Sands), I think Chitwa should be ranked #1 regardless of cost. Thank you to Claudia, Leon, Stefan, Surprise and everyone else who made our stay so fantastic. We will never forget Chitwa or Room #11 (the best one, shhh don't tell!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Originally a private retreat of the Brink family, Chitwa Chitwa was transformed by Charl into an oasis of conservation and harmony. His dedicated holistic approach and wise land management are aimed at the handing of an uncontaminated African paradise to the future generations. In 1991 Charl and Maria Brink created Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Lodge, today a jewel of South African hospitality and an emblem of the savannas most authentic and refined luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Reserve Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Reserve South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve