My wife and I spent 4 nights at Chitwa in early June 2012. It was one of the best travel experiences of our lives. We were in Room 1 with a great lake view and a short walk to the dining area. From the back deck of all the rooms, you can watch as Elephants, Hippos, Warthogs, Water Buffalo, Giraffes (although not on our trip), zebras, monkeys and a huge variety of antelope/deer come down and graze and drink from the lake.
Our guide (Rex) was very informative and a lot of fun on the twice daily game drives. During 8 game drives, we saw the following:
Leopards ~10 (including 2 mating and 1 eating his kill in a tree)
Water Buffalo ~10
Other antelope species 100+
Mongoose and other small critters -- numerous
Photos taken from 10-15 feet or less of most of the big 5.
As others have said, the dining experience is terrific. The seafood wasn't the greatest, but the beef, chicken, lamb, soups, breakfast, sausages, veggies were all terrific.
The only ding on the place...we occasionally had an odd odor in bathroom from time to time in Room 1. But that's partially on us for bringing it to management's attention.
As I told management, the only things I would change would be:
1. Private plunge pools should be heated
2. The selection of wines by the glass should be more varied
If there was an option to give this place 6 stars, I would.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Originally a private retreat of the Brink family, Chitwa Chitwa was transformed by Charl into an oasis of conservation and harmony. His dedicated holistic approach and wise land management are aimed at the handing of an uncontaminated African paradise to the future generations. In 1991 Charl and Maria Brink created Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Lodge, today a jewel of South African hospitality and an emblem of the savannas most authentic and refined luxury. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Reserve Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Reserve South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve