“Fantastic, Knowledgeable Staff, Beautiful Accommodations, Ridiculous Experience”
Review of Nkorho Bush Lodge

Nkorho Bush Lodge
Reviewed August 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Nkorho Bush Lodge for a few nights and experienced our first safari at this wonderful place in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve. The wonderful thing about being in the Sabi Sands is that it shares an unfenced border with Kruger National Park, which is the size of a small European country, so the wildlife is the same, but the amazing guide/drivers are unrestricted by some of the rules of Kruger proper, and they are free to go off-road, track game, and take your game vehicle right up to the wildlife. The guides and spotter/trackers were phenomenally knowledgeable and friendly, and they were a lot of fun to spend a few days with over the course of many game drives and a few bush walks. Having coffee in the early morning sun on a morning game drive or having a glass of wine as the stars came out on an evening game drive was unforgettable. Eating dinner in the Boma under beautiful African skies was a great experience. We had a great time seeing so much wildlife, learning so much, eating so much great food, and lounging around the beautiful grounds of Nkorho Bush Lodge.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dansethpNYC

Reviewed August 15, 2010

Spent 2 days at Nkorho with the family, including 2 girls age 9 and 12. Chose the Lodge based on reasonable price, and good reviews - we were not at all disappointed. A really friendly welcome, food was very good, rooms very pleasant and clean. The location is perfect for watching game from he deck - we saw giraffe, elephant, jackal and antelope regularly from the poolside. What is truly excellent is the quality of the game drives. Peter, Head Ranger, is incredibly knowledgeable and took great care to respect the animals (not all game drives show such respect). Unbelievable views of lion and leopard in particular - but plenty of other game, down to mongoose, bushbaby, and plenty of birds. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lodge to anyone seriously interested in viewing the wildlife, and wanting to relax in comfortable rustic surroundings.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul_Barker_1959
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We spent 3 days in Nkorho Bush Lodge, in general it was a wonderful experience with a good service.
About the place:
The place itself its fantastic, nice view to the landscape, where you can see the wild animals in the distance (theres is a small lake, so animals go there to drink) so, its easier to see elephants, kudus, impalas, nyus, etc.. this is amazing and spectacular. The pool was no so big but it was really nice.
The rooms are ok, spacious and all of them with good view to the landscape. They dont have moskito net, so, be prepared with the profilaxis for the malaria, so its a malaria region and you cannot risk yourself (even if you had moskito nets in the room). The bathroom its quite big, althoug there is no wall between the bedroom and the bathroom.. (no doors), its true that you have an exterior shower but ours didnt work, so for us no outdoor shower. Moreover sometimes the hot water didnt work either.
About the meals they are ok, no spectacular quality, but ok if you consider you are in the middle of the bush… best thing the breakfast, specially the ranger omelette. You can asked them and they cooked for you what you want (bacon, omelette, etc.)
About the outdoor drivings:
They are very good. The cars are opened cars with no roof so this lets you watch the animals and the bush close to you. Even the rangers and the spotters are qualified and know what are they doing. You will not be disappointed. Personally, I think they bother a bit to much the animals, specially the cats. If they find a cat (leopard, lion..) they call everybody by radio and you can be involved in a persecution of (even of 4 cars!!!) the poor animal between the bush. On my opinion that was excessive and ridiculous. Personally I was more interested about birds or small things but it seems this doesn’t interest anybody.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TXELL17
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Luxury accommodation priced-decently for access to Sabi Sands reserve. Staff very helpful and courteous. Guides are knowledgeable. Each stand-alone cabin has view of watering hole where animals congregate. Rooms are spacious with indoor and outdoor(!) showers. Food was deliciously prepared (try the "Ranger" omelet for breakfast), and set up for social environment; family-friendly. Road to Gowrie gate for acess to Nkorho is pretty rough (especially after rain) and the Nkorho-specific signs not always visible on the road leading to Gowrie gate.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2010

OK, I will admit the game viewing is excellent especially for the cats. However their are a lot of other places with great game viewing too. With the exception of the trackers I found the staff to be quite unfriendly. Also while dining in the boma is a nice idea, it creates a really unfriendly mood sitting/eating in a semi-circle and only being able to talk to who was on either side of you.
But what really got me was what I call "nickel and diming". Sure they are cheaper than other lodges but you are still paying a lot of money. Everytime you were offered a drink out came the little record book logging it......even for water. I could not believe they even charged for water. They offer internet but at a high price and since we had computers for work we thought that we could use their WiFi but that too was for a charge. Eventhough they say that they provide mosquito nets in some chalets, the fact is they don't. After reading their arrival book that states they are in a malaria area and that due to side effects most people don't take the medication so the best defense is to cover up, I found this really shocking. Their reasoning was that the nets had rotten and they had not bothered to buy new ones. Sure their are screens on the door but they have about a 4cm gap which easily lets the mosquitos in. However they were willing the sell you repelent!
After spending over $1000 on our stay I thought that was a little cheap on their end.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank frequentflyer7489
Reviewed March 4, 2010

WOW...WOW!! Where do I even start? This hotel takes my breath away just thinking about it!

We stayed a few nights in Kruger at the Protea Kruger Gate (loved this hotel too) to get the self-drive safari experience before we made our way to Sabi Sands for a few nights. We struggled with which place to stay at in Sabi Sands for a few days as we were looking for something that would not break the bank and I am sooooo happy that we selected Nkorho!!

The Drive In- First of all prepare yourself for the road leading to the Gowrie Gate as it is a bit rough, but nothing that our little rental car could not handle.

The Lodge- as we rounded the bend and I saw the lodge for the first time in person I was speechless...what an amazing piece of property! The staff personally come out and greet you to welcome you to the lodge. After the check in process they walk you through the grounds to explain everything to you and then show you your private chalet....we were in #5 the honeymoon suite which I highly recommend as it had a soaking tub and an out door shower. The rooms are beautiful and truly make you feel like you are a celebrity being catered to! There are a few lounging areas where you can sit back and relax reading one of the many books they have. The pool area is outstanding! The only thing that could make it a little better is if they would have a few umbrellas available as the sun can be intense and my husband likes to sit in the shade. However, he was fine with this as they do have some sofas and chairs under and outdoor shaded area right by the pool. Also, the doors to the rooms do not lock which my husband was a little worried about at first. However, you soon realize that you are totally safe and do not have to worry about theft or anything like that here. We slept with our glass doors open and just the screens closed at night and wow, what an experience that was hearing all the animal noises! It's also amazing that every time I walked into my room the maids had been in there straightening up making sure everything is perfect!

The Staff- Wonderful! Every single one of them was so helpful and are always there if you need anything at all. The manager Karin is great and always there to cater to any needs and help in any way. We had a family staying at the hotel that unfortunately had very small kids who were screaming at the pool and being obnoxious. After we made a simple complaint that it was hard to relax and unfortunately the parents were not telling the children to be a little quieter, the manager was on it at once and suggested to the family that the children use the smaller pool near the lunch area. We were very happy that she took care of this and it made everyone relaxing by the pool a lot happier! She said that it's not often they have small children at the hotel for anyone who's worried about that.
Peter was our safari driver, and Norman was the spotter for the duration of our stay and I cannot say enough good things about him...he has such a sense of humor and went above and beyond making sure he did his best to show us all the animals we each wanted to see. We were with the same people in the safari every time as well but luckily we had an amazing group of people with whom we exchanged email information!

The Safari's- WOW! It was everything we hoped it would be! We saw the big 5 numerous times which I think can be a little overrated as any animal you encounter in its natural habitat is simply amazing! Peter was an excellent guide and we had lots of funny discussions on our safari's. Be prepared that the safari vehicle is not covered so rain or shine you experience that weather! My husband was a little apprehensive about this at first but within minutes he said “wow this feels like a real deal safari” and it truly does the second you go off roading into the wild....amazing!! There is no need to go into detail about the animals we saw as I know that is different for everyone, so I will just sum it up by saying that you will not be disappointed I promise! Just keep your eyes peeled for the big spiders that have their webs out first thing in the morning....this provided many laughs on our safari with all of us ducking!

The Meals- Fantastic! Wesley is truly talented and I could not wait for the meals everyday! It was definitely an experience eating in the Boma which unfortunately we only got to do once due to rain....but it was simply amazing!!

We were lucky to meet the owners of the lodge who flew in for the weekend and my husband was able to chat with them for a little bit...which is not uncommon as he is a very big talker! One of the best things about this place is that they don't overcharge for drinks as a lot of hotels to since they know you can't go anywhere else. The owner said that she hates when she goes to hotels and they charge ridiculous amounts for water, drinks etc. I think waters here were only around $1.50 same as soda. We really respect Nkorho for this as the last thing you want to worry about on vacation is the cost of drinks.

Overall this place is an amazing value for everything you get! They honestly could charge a lot more and I'm so happy they don't because it makes it more affordable for people who don't want to break the bank but want the private lodge experience!

Please, please, please do not hesitate on booking this hotel...it is truly a once in a lifetime experience!
Also, something cool you can do...when you're at the lodge you can control where the camera looks so maybe set up a specific time with your loved ones and have the camera face the pool....have them get online to the live web-cam and wave at them!

Please feel free to ask any questions!
a_stansberry@yahoo.com

Enjoy your stay....just don't tell me about it as I will be very envious! I already find myself calculating the time change to see when people at the lodge are on game drives etc.

I cannot wait for the day I return....next time hopefully for much longer :)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ashley11bruce
Reviewed November 21, 2009

We saw the Big 5 twice over plus wild dogs and on a night drive because there were lions nearby we saw two male lions chase a leopard up a tree.
The place is the complete package, good food, great wine, good service, amazing safari, beautiful rooms (esp the outside shower) and lost of little touches that really make the place
I would much rather spend a week here than 3 nights at one of the the 5* lodges - Nkorho gets all the important things spot on.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple