“Great location and great value”
Review of Nkorho Bush Lodge

Nkorho Bush Lodge
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We only had one night here but wish we had booked two... We were warmly welcomed by the staff on arrival - Victor was our tracker and Bernhard our guide. A delicious lunch was promptly served before we set off for our game drive. We had just spent a week in the Kruger and weather had not been as good as usual at this time of year resulting in less sightings...and this was unfortuntaely no exception here at Nkorho. Our sunset drive was very pleasant with lovely sundowners - but the cheetah that had killed the impala for the benefit of the morning guests had been chased off by vultures earlier.

We returned for a great boma dinner and were entertained by beautiful singing from the lady staff. The food was plentiful and very tasy and the very good wines were all the same (reasonable) price.

The bed was very comfortable and the room very spacious and clean. I wish I had switched off the fridge as the rest of my family had done in their other units because it woke me at 4am and I couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from! However it did mean that I got to hear lions roaring in the distance...I would say that this Lodge is ideal for couples, however Anje and Karen went out of their way to accomodate our children and our friend's children in in two triples.

We were up at 5am and were just about to get very despondent at the lack of sightings during a long game drive when of course the bush delivered! A female leopard was up a tree after having been chased off by a big male who stole her impala kill. He is quite a shy leopard so only caught a brief glimpse of him, but had a stunning sighting of the female who came down from the tree and posed for us as she is very comfortable with the vehicles. Our friends in the other vehicle also got a very good sighting of the male as they had got there before us, and they also got great viewings of two big male lions prior to that - the bush is all about a bit of luck and being in the right place at the right time! We went back for a hearty breakfast feeling very pleased.

I would definitely recommend a stay here - it is one of the most reasonably priced Lodges which is comfortably small and intimate in a lovely setting. I wish we had stayed another day so that we could enjoy the well placed infinity pool which overlooks the water hole (see the Nkorho Webcam). Thanks Nkorho for a great stay!

Room Tip: The Honeymoon Suite (no. 7) is the biggest and furtherest away with most privacy
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Nkorho Bush Lodge

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Very nice lodge, offering good games drives, good food, complementary sherry in your room and very reasonably prices on drinks. But the segregation between white and black staff left me with an unpleasant feeling.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christian L
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Tha whole service was spectacular. The place so attractive. The people were wonderful! We enjoyed the beautiful place, the sunsets, the rides to watch he wild animals. Everybody was sure of what their duties were and made us feel really comfortable. It was the trip I had always dreamt of, so it was very important that everything went right. However, if you are really interested in seeing different animals, it is advisible to change lodges every three days. We did so, and it made it posssible to see a different landscape as well as other animals.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sautrera
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Within Sabi Sands, this is my second safari - my first was at Elephant Plains. I can cordially say that we had more animal sightings at Nkorho than Sabi Sands.

Pros:
- Great staff. Super friendly. All the rangers were very good and friendly. Cedric was our guide and was great.
- The pool is amazing and it is a great way to cool off from the heat of the day!
- Excellent animal sightings. Our rangers were willing to drive and follow animals (more than Elephant Plains) and you get great photos and experiences to see the animals. My experience in terms of animal viewing was far better than Elephant Plains.
- Excellent Vodacom cellphone signal at the lodge, great if u need to go online on your smartphone to check emails in evenings, etc.
- Excellent rooms and facilities. The view of the lunch area / deck is 100x better than the Elephant Plains one.
- Small lodge - I believe max 14 people (Elephant plains is double the size).

Cons:-
- The units are not air conditioned - only a fan. If you are going in mid-South African summers, I would highly recommend an air conditioned lodge such as Elephant Plains. While it is not a problem for us as we went in the spring, it could get really hot and thus I would not recommend Nkorho if you need air conditioning / heat phobic.
- Rooms cannot be locked from the outside; only the inside. Thus, while out and about, anyone can do in. While it wasn't a problem for us, given that it is very remote and the chances of problems happening is zero, we still prefer the rooms to be equipped with locks that operate both sides for peace of mind. There is a safe in the room if you have valuables.
- Somewhat pricier compared to elephant plains or arathusa, even though the general overhead (e.g. staff, facilities, room, etc) is about the same.
- In the units we were in, there is no door between the bedrooms and the bathrooms. While it is fine for couples, a door, or even a privacy screen/curtain, would be handy when travelling with friend for privacy, when one is using the shower and the other is in the bedroom.

As such I would rate this 4/5.

Overall - Nkorho is an excellent experience and I would give my recommendation. However, if you are considering Elephant Plains or Arathusa, and it is the middle of summer, I would recommend going there given no A/C.

Room Tip: Check out the website - they have video tours of their rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank coolioblob
Reviewed October 3, 2013

what a beautiful week ! ... this is our second stay in Nkorho and everything was perfect , a very warm welcome , we saw plenty of animals ( many thanks to Cedric , our ranger ) nice food , the chalets are very comfortable ... the place to go to have an amazing bush experience !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed at Nkorho Bush Lodge as part of a photography safari. Would highly recommend a stay here. The staff was attentive and very helpful. The food was amazing! For breakfast I highly recommend the Flap Jacks....if I wasn't so full from the first plate I would have had a second. Chad and Norman were our game drive guides and did an amazing job finding the animals our group hoped to see. They went above and beyond the call of duty.

Breakfast and lunch was served on the patio which overlooked the watering hole. One morning the elephants were there as we had breakfast.

The rooms were very nice and the outdoor shower was amazing after an early morning game drive.

If I am ever back in South Africa I would definitely pick Nkorho Bush Lodge to stay at again.

Thank you for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I spent 3 nights at this absolutely amazing place last year. I was greeted by a friendly face the moment I drove up to the lodge and this continued the entire time I was there. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. The food and service was great for every meal. Then, of course were the drives! There is nothing like going on a drive in Sabi Sands - and our Ranger, Cedric along with our tracker, Norman were nothing short of amazing. They took us everywhere and we had fantastic sightings with photo opportunities. Before ever getting here, I had watched the waterhole in front of the lodge on the cameras by Africam for many years. I hope I have the chance to get back there again. My trip was actually August 2012, but the options did not go back that far.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo