“Magical Experience at Kirkmans Kamp”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at Kirkmans Kamp and it was so so AMAZING!
What makes this place so special is all the people who work there. We were so impressed with how thoughtful and dedicated the staff are here. Our sweett Butler Moses did so many unexpected things to make it special for us every day and our very knowledgeable and personable Ranger Anton and Tracker Gerry really went the extra mile for us in searching for any and all of the animals we desired to see. Each game drive was better than the last and we were in awe. We saw the big 5 more than once and we even saw Lions mating, Leopards and Hyena with an Impala kill and even witnessed and heard a make Lion roar. WOW....can you say amazing? This was my first experience on Safari and it was more than I could have imagined. From the moment you arrive at this place till the moment you leave you are pampered and cared for and it makes your experience so special. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is thinking about it. It was a MAGICAL!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sdbretts
There are newer reviews for andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp

Reviewed November 27, 2010

In April 2010, I spent an idyllic week near Johannesburg, at 2 lodges: 3 nights at Ngala Safari Lodge in Kruger and 4 nights Kirkman’s Kamp In Sabi Sand Game Reserve, each of which are managed by the &Beyond group. These 2 lodges provide quite different experiences, and were the perfect “pair” for a week’s trip. I would definitely recommend both of these camps. This review covers Kirkman’s Kamp.
I was somewhat apprehensive as I began my trip, as I feared that my expec tations may be far too high, and I might be disappointed. I have travelled a lot in my life, but seeing the “Big 5”, and doing a safari have been on my “bucket list” for years. I had nothing to fear however - the trip was perfect, and memorable. 5 months later, I still catch myself thinking of it, smiling.
I booked these trips directly with & Beyond in South Africa (Carla), and would definitely do so again; the service from &Beyond’s travel group was excellent: I arranged the whole trip via email communications, and all responses to my (multiple) inquiries were timely, detailed, and clear. Further, when put to the “acid test”, when the Iceland volcano disrupted my return travel plans (and many other people were having trouble getting their travel agents to even answer the phone) &Beyond could not have been more responsive. They were very helpful in getting me home to Vancouver via SaoPaolo (vs.London), and also gave me a significant discount on the extra (previously unplanned) night at Kirkman’s.
It’s also worth noting that, although most people at these camps were couples, I did this trip on my own (single female) and never felt out of place. The staff bent over backwards to make everyone welcome and comfortable. They also tend to put “groups” (never more than 7) together, to ride on the same jeeps (with the same ranger) so you meet new friends and share the same experiences with them from the first game drive. And don’t miss going on a bush walk, where, among other things, the rangers will show you some giraffe bones that are close to the camp (very heavy!) – Definitely worth it.
This lodge definitely deserves kudos for the food: The individual luncheon buffet at Kirkman’s Kamp (and SunnyBoy’s smile and attentive service) were outstanding. And the surprise outdoor breakfasts, at were great fun! And I can’t say enough about the sundowners – what a great tradition!
Kirkman’s Kamp is in SabiSands, adjacent to the Sand River, where the terrain is bush. The big game here is prevalent, and in a relatively small area. It took very little time, to see all of the Big 5. In fact, it seemed as if every time we turned a corner in the bush, or crossed a river tributary (of which there were several - quite exciting in the jeep!) there was another big animal in front of you.
Kirkman’s main lodge has historical significance, having been a hunters’ lodge in the 1920’s, and the lodge had many “exhibits” and old photos around, that were quite interesting . It all felt very “colonial” – an atmosphere quite condusive to gin/tonics at sundowners. The lodging here was excellent – immaculate, comfortable, all the comforts of home (including a free/amply stocked mini-bar in your room.) The rooms here were in rows of 3-4 connected cottages. I was in #11, which was further away from the main lodge, and had the advantage of a better view/balcony hanging-over the Sand River. And watching the monkeys playing on my deck, was always a joy. I saw all of the Big 5 at Kirkman’s, including multiple leopards. Also saw giraffes, impalas, baboons, daiker, kudu, bush buck, and many more.
Highlights at Kirkman’s included watching a leopard family (male, female, 2-year-old) intermittently eating an impala they had killed the night before and hung in a tree, and playing with each other; hippos in the river at sunset; a lion cub; a baby giraffe; 5 young frisky rhinos playing with each other; a herd of buffalo (50-60 of them) crossing a river, and 2 impalas fighting, where they locked horns (and luckily got themselves unlocked). Manager Lizette, Ranger Elliott, and Tracker Thomas were all terrific.
I can’t wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank VancouverTraveller09
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Superb, from start to finish, from staff to accomodation, from food and drink to ambience.
I can think of nowhere better to enjoy informed and varied game drives and know that you have superb facilities to return to. Thomas, our butler, Paul and Eckson on the game drives were worthy of particular mention. Paul's sense of humour almost matching his knowledge of the wildlife. To cap it all we were blessed with fellow guests who were of similar mind and excellent company. I have spoken to others before and after and all agree that &beyond have got the right balance at their lodges, surely though kirkmans Kamp must be a jewel in their crown.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank petecee
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We were fortunate enough to stay at Kirkmans in October for 3 nights and it was an awesome experience. Thomas was our butler for the duration and nothing was too much trouble for him - he was an absolute delight with a wicked sense of humour and we gelled to him immediately. We told him that we were vegetarian which is sometimes a problem to us in South Africa, such a big meat eating nation, but he arranged for the kitchen to make us some gorgeous meals and we were royally fed and watered. The room was divine and so very clean. Kirkmans is a typically old colonial property which added to its charm. We overlooked the bush and frequently had impala grazing outside our balcony and a family of monkeys with their young playing in the trees - mischevious little babies too! Don't leave your clothes on the chairs - they might be very quickly missed! Our ranger Jonty and tracker Elvis were amazing - Jonty had only just arrived at the camp for a months secondment and had only just met Elvis but, as the 3 days went on, they became an amazing team and it was warming to hear Jonty ask Elvis's opinion and advice on the area. These local trackers have an incredible knowledge and expertise to be marvelled at. All the staff at Kirkmans made you feel as though you were part of their family - the welcome was so generous. Game drives were excellent and we certainly saw the big 5 and more - I can fully recommend hot chocolate made by Jonty with a little Amarula in it for extra strength - gorgeous! All in all a very special place and we will certainly try to go back.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I will visit this place again. Every guest was treated like a VIP. The staff were all nice and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2010

On this trip to Africa, Kirkmans Kamp will be the safari highlight. This property in the Sabi Sands area next to Kruger offers great opportunity for game viewing, with prevalent and varied species to observe and enjoy. One can never be certain of what might be seen on any given game drive, or even an entire stay at a safari camp, but luck and the outstanding guiding and spotting skills of Dalson and Gophet allowed us exceptional viewing of the big five and more. Wow!
The camp was so pleasant to be in with the main lodge area the old farm house, decorated wiith memorabilia usually found in a museum. Very comfortable. Our rooms were outstanding. The views from #11 through #14 offer the best, most expansive views of the Sand River below. The staff was friendly and efficient, taking care of what little requests we might of had, and Sam, our butler, was everywhere, appearing when ever we arrived from a game drive or from our rooms to the lodge. Amazing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Our family went to South Africa for two weeks in August 2010, and we visited three different safari "camps" while we were there. We loved them all, but Kirkman's Kamp was our favorite. Our guide, Anton, and our tracker, Jerome, were absolutely fantastic -- and we found that the guide and tracker really make your safari experience. Jerome's eye sight must be way better than 20/20, because we felt that if there was something to see he was going to see it. And then Anton's knowledge and personality made them an incredible team -- Anton could really explain what you were seeing, in an interesting and fun way. I work in advertising, and I teach client skills, and I would say Anton's client skills are some of the best I've seen in any industry. Ask for Anton and Jerome if you go to Kirkman's!

The camp itself was beautiful, with great views in all directions, and the all of the staff were friendly. This camp had the most charm and personality of anywhere we stayed in South Africa (we also stayed at Phinda Mountain Lodge and Ngala Safari Lodge -- also both excellent). In the bar/appetizers area, there was a board with all the various animals and bird you might see, each with a point value (the more common sightings had lower values). At the end of the day, each team would check off what they saw that day. Our kids (ages 12 and 14) loved the points, and they loved Anton and Jerome. Our daughter cried when we left, and we wanted to!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#10 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Nkorho Bush Lodge
Nkorho Bush Lodge
#13 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp? Share your experiences!