My husband and I spent four nights at Kirkman’s Kamp and did not want to leave. We had an unforgettable time there and we highly recommend Kirkman’s and & Beyond (which booked our trip). The camp centers around a gorgeous, colonial style lodge and deck, where we enjoyed many of our meals. Our room was comfortable, tastefully decorated, and had a lovely view of the river. The camp does not have fences, so animals (e.g. buffalo, kudo, bushbuck) freely roam on the property. The camp has an infinity pool overlooking the river as well.
The service at Kirkman’s was exceptional, far exceeding any luxury hotel that we have stayed at in the United States. The staff really gives Kirkman’s its essence and we cannot speak highly enough of their professionalism, service and demeanors. We had the great privilege of being assigned Friday as our “butler,” who coordinated our meals, including a lovely private dinner on our balcony and memorable breakfast in the bush, wonderfully. We were really impressed with the food at Kirkman’s, particularly the soups, croissants, meat dishes, and coffee.
The highlight of our stay was the game drives. Brett, our ranger, and Khalin, our tracker, provided us with an exceptional wildlife viewing experience. Khalin was highly skilled at spotting and tracking wildlife. Brett was highly skilled at ensuring we saw the wildlife and very knowledgeable about every animal we saw. We went on two daily game drives, morning and late afternoon/evening, in a topless Land Rover with two other couples. We saw buffalo, wildebeests, wild dogs and pups (a very rare sighting), a small lion pride eating an impala, a large lion pride and its cubs, lions mating, leopards mating, giraffes, elephants, rhinos, hippos, hyenas (including baby and juvenile hyenas), monkeys, warthogs, zebras, bushbuck, kudo, impala, nyala, waterbuck, and many different types of birds. Kirkman’s has private land and access to neighboring Lion Sands, which ensures that there is little vehicle traffic and numerous opportunities to see wildlife. Brett also took us on a walking trek, where we learned about many of the plant species and smaller creatures of the bush. During the drives, we would stop for cocktails and snacks.
Thank you to Kirkman’s and all the staff for making our experience
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The spirit of safari comes alive at historic Kirkman’s Kamp. Step back in time into the gracious early settler atmosphere of this original 1920s homestead and marvel at the spectacular views of the unspoiled wilderness from each of the 18 guest cottages and the lodge’s rim-flow swimming pool. Rolling lawns carve out a niche in a wild and tumbling wilderness that hosts memorable game viewing in one of the most renowned Big Five wildlife regions in the world. Spacious sitting, dining and bar guest areas contain original mementos of a time long past. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kirkman`s Kamp Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- AndBeyond Kirkman's Kamp South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve