“Very very good.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We had 3 nights (and six game drives) here. The welcome we received was excellent (typical of South Africa). The camp itself is a former colonial home I believe and retains the colonial feel in the main building and is very well done.

Our ranger and tracker (Anton and Victor) were very good but by their own admission were driving a new area of the bush, shared with the adjacent Lion Sands reserve, and weren't fully familiar with it, having said that we saw lots of game and they were knowledgeable and good fun.

The accommodation was good, but by no means nearly as good as Kings Camp where we stayed before here. The rooms are fairly basic, the double bed is simply 2 singles pushed together and there is no mosquito net around it. despite the gap around the room door being big enough to admit a bumblebee never mind a mosquito. The rooms have small balconies offering a nice view of the bush and the river.

We had a private butler service (Grace) who was excellent and the food served was very good indeed. Our only gripe was the dining arrangement - dinner was served on the (sloping!) lawn in the pitch dark with only a storm lantern on the table - it was very difficult to see each other never mind the food. A flat decked area with some subdued lighting would be far preferable for al fresco dining.

The pool area is nice and there is a range of spa 'therapies' and massages available.

All in all a very good experience, the game drives were great (mostly) the staff were very good but the accommodation and dining experience could both be much better.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JulesandSand

Reviewed January 14, 2011

The &beyond experience is truly incredible. Kirkman's Kamp was the third of three &beyond Lodges we stayed at in Africa. All we heavenly! Loved being greeted by Steph our female guide! And of course quiet but competent Victor! The whole Lodge was wonderful. Our game drives were spectacular. Victor absolutely tracked and found the Rhino for us! We came up empty with the Leopard but luckily Tsabo had found us such a beautiful one in Botswana (Sandibe Lodge) that we didn't care. We had a fabulous Christmas Day meal. Cocktails in the bar were festive! The food was great. And of course Sam took excellent care of us for all our meals. Steph took us on a walking tour which the kids loved! (Sophie 13 and Henry 11 were the perfect age to enjoy EVERYTHING!)
I would say this Lodge was perfect! (We also stayed at &beyond Sandibe, Botswana and Matetsi, Zimbabwe and they were also magnificent) Save your money an GO to Africa with &beyond!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kalolam
Reviewed January 8, 2011

This was our first trip to SA and Sabi Sand, and from the moment we arrived at Kirkman's Kamp, we got a very warm welcome and we realized instantaneously that we had made the right choice. We stayed for 2 nights and did 4 game safaris. Right from the quality and comfort of the room (real spacious and well done with a neat bathroom and a tub to relax), to the plush lodge which was done up beautifully, the staff was very courteous. The food was great and they made specially dishes to suit our likings (my wife being pure Veg and I am selective on the meat I eat), and the team also there ensured we did not miss Christmas, as they had decorated the whole place accordingly, we got a Socks of goodies in the morning :), and also had a gala Christmas dinner as a surprise. That's not all; we also had a Christmas party after the evening safari which was right in the jungle, which was a lot of fun.
The gaming experience was very good. Our Ranger Paul was a cool dude and ensured he showed us the ' BIG 5' during the stay there. The fun was to track the lion, and Paul left no stone unturned to finally locate the 2 lions we were tracking. Kirkman has a tie up with Lion Sands for trans-versing on their land, along with theirs (which is pretty large itself). They are allowed to go off track with their jeeps and follow the trails or get you a superb view, if they spot the BIG 5. The experience was truly amazing and the quality of animal sightings was excellent. Although this time of the year the vegetation is thick, therefore i am told winters is even a better time as the grass is low and sightings will improve further.... To sum up, we had a great memorable stay at Kirkman, and would recommend this place to anyone looking for comfort and a great Game safari experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Avnish_1974
Reviewed December 30, 2010

A great place to stay and enjoy South Africa's wildlife. As you would expect food and accommodation were of a very high standard but even these were eclipsed by the game drives and variety of wildlife. Mid September would appear to a very good time to visit. An all round amazing experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darren92
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at Kirkmans Kamp and it was so so AMAZING!
What makes this place so special is all the people who work there. We were so impressed with how thoughtful and dedicated the staff are here. Our sweett Butler Moses did so many unexpected things to make it special for us every day and our very knowledgeable and personable Ranger Anton and Tracker Gerry really went the extra mile for us in searching for any and all of the animals we desired to see. Each game drive was better than the last and we were in awe. We saw the big 5 more than once and we even saw Lions mating, Leopards and Hyena with an Impala kill and even witnessed and heard a make Lion roar. WOW....can you say amazing? This was my first experience on Safari and it was more than I could have imagined. From the moment you arrive at this place till the moment you leave you are pampered and cared for and it makes your experience so special. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is thinking about it. It was a MAGICAL!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sdbretts
Reviewed November 27, 2010

In April 2010, I spent an idyllic week near Johannesburg, at 2 lodges: 3 nights at Ngala Safari Lodge in Kruger and 4 nights Kirkman’s Kamp In Sabi Sand Game Reserve, each of which are managed by the &Beyond group. These 2 lodges provide quite different experiences, and were the perfect “pair” for a week’s trip. I would definitely recommend both of these camps. This review covers Kirkman’s Kamp.
I was somewhat apprehensive as I began my trip, as I feared that my expec tations may be far too high, and I might be disappointed. I have travelled a lot in my life, but seeing the “Big 5”, and doing a safari have been on my “bucket list” for years. I had nothing to fear however - the trip was perfect, and memorable. 5 months later, I still catch myself thinking of it, smiling.
I booked these trips directly with & Beyond in South Africa (Carla), and would definitely do so again; the service from &Beyond’s travel group was excellent: I arranged the whole trip via email communications, and all responses to my (multiple) inquiries were timely, detailed, and clear. Further, when put to the “acid test”, when the Iceland volcano disrupted my return travel plans (and many other people were having trouble getting their travel agents to even answer the phone) &Beyond could not have been more responsive. They were very helpful in getting me home to Vancouver via SaoPaolo (vs.London), and also gave me a significant discount on the extra (previously unplanned) night at Kirkman’s.
It’s also worth noting that, although most people at these camps were couples, I did this trip on my own (single female) and never felt out of place. The staff bent over backwards to make everyone welcome and comfortable. They also tend to put “groups” (never more than 7) together, to ride on the same jeeps (with the same ranger) so you meet new friends and share the same experiences with them from the first game drive. And don’t miss going on a bush walk, where, among other things, the rangers will show you some giraffe bones that are close to the camp (very heavy!) – Definitely worth it.
This lodge definitely deserves kudos for the food: The individual luncheon buffet at Kirkman’s Kamp (and SunnyBoy’s smile and attentive service) were outstanding. And the surprise outdoor breakfasts, at were great fun! And I can’t say enough about the sundowners – what a great tradition!
Kirkman’s Kamp is in SabiSands, adjacent to the Sand River, where the terrain is bush. The big game here is prevalent, and in a relatively small area. It took very little time, to see all of the Big 5. In fact, it seemed as if every time we turned a corner in the bush, or crossed a river tributary (of which there were several - quite exciting in the jeep!) there was another big animal in front of you.
Kirkman’s main lodge has historical significance, having been a hunters’ lodge in the 1920’s, and the lodge had many “exhibits” and old photos around, that were quite interesting . It all felt very “colonial” – an atmosphere quite condusive to gin/tonics at sundowners. The lodging here was excellent – immaculate, comfortable, all the comforts of home (including a free/amply stocked mini-bar in your room.) The rooms here were in rows of 3-4 connected cottages. I was in #11, which was further away from the main lodge, and had the advantage of a better view/balcony hanging-over the Sand River. And watching the monkeys playing on my deck, was always a joy. I saw all of the Big 5 at Kirkman’s, including multiple leopards. Also saw giraffes, impalas, baboons, daiker, kudu, bush buck, and many more.
Highlights at Kirkman’s included watching a leopard family (male, female, 2-year-old) intermittently eating an impala they had killed the night before and hung in a tree, and playing with each other; hippos in the river at sunset; a lion cub; a baby giraffe; 5 young frisky rhinos playing with each other; a herd of buffalo (50-60 of them) crossing a river, and 2 impalas fighting, where they locked horns (and luckily got themselves unlocked). Manager Lizette, Ranger Elliott, and Tracker Thomas were all terrific.
I can’t wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank VancouverTraveller09
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Superb, from start to finish, from staff to accomodation, from food and drink to ambience.
I can think of nowhere better to enjoy informed and varied game drives and know that you have superb facilities to return to. Thomas, our butler, Paul and Eckson on the game drives were worthy of particular mention. Paul's sense of humour almost matching his knowledge of the wildlife. To cap it all we were blessed with fellow guests who were of similar mind and excellent company. I have spoken to others before and after and all agree that &beyond have got the right balance at their lodges, surely though kirkmans Kamp must be a jewel in their crown.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#10 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Nkorho Bush Lodge
Nkorho Bush Lodge
#14 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp? Share your experiences!