We only had 2 nights at Savanna but it was a magical experience. The rooms were exquisite and the food was better than I've had at many world-renowned restaurants. Our first dinner was accompanied by the beautiful singing of a local choir and the second was inside the dining car of a restored train.
The game viewing was beyond expectation. The Ranger and Tracker can make or break the safari, and we were fortunate enough to have the inimitable Paddy Hagelthorn (30 years experience in the Sabi Sand) and Nordick, who were quick to find the animals, but more importantly they show a respect for the wildlife above everything else.
We could have chosen any lodge to stay at in the Sabi Sand. After doing my own detailed research (I am a full time travel agent) and speaking to several 'authorities' on safari accommodation, I knew that this would be the best choice of lodge. These are some of the things that make Savanna the best option:
1. Easy access once you're in the reserve (you don't have to bump around in a transfer car for ages trying to get to your lodge).
2. A great relationship with other nearby lodges (leads to shared information = more game viewing for you).
3. Incredibly experienced rangers and trackers (THIS is the most important thing).
4. Great value by Sabi Sand standards.
5. A unique ability to offer extreme luxury without pretense.
Paddy, Pumi, Lorna and everyone else, it was an honour to visit Savanna. We will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Savanna Private Game Reserve is a luxury five star Game Reserve in the Sabi Sands South Africa. The Sabi Sands is acknowledged as the best area in the world for leopard viewing. Our object at Savanna is to give our guests the best wildlife experience possible. See guest comments on Trip Advisor to see just how our guests are blown away by the Savanna Experience. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Savanna Private Game Reserve Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Savanna Private Game Reserve South Africa/Sabi Sand Game Reserve