“You need to go here”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Savanna Private Game Reserve
“You need to go here”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We only had 2 nights at Savanna but it was a magical experience. The rooms were exquisite and the food was better than I've had at many world-renowned restaurants. Our first dinner was accompanied by the beautiful singing of a local choir and the second was inside the dining car of a restored train.

The game viewing was beyond expectation. The Ranger and Tracker can make or break the safari, and we were fortunate enough to have the inimitable Paddy Hagelthorn (30 years experience in the Sabi Sand) and Nordick, who were quick to find the animals, but more importantly they show a respect for the wildlife above everything else.

We could have chosen any lodge to stay at in the Sabi Sand. After doing my own detailed research (I am a full time travel agent) and speaking to several 'authorities' on safari accommodation, I knew that this would be the best choice of lodge. These are some of the things that make Savanna the best option:

1. Easy access once you're in the reserve (you don't have to bump around in a transfer car for ages trying to get to your lodge).
2. A great relationship with other nearby lodges (leads to shared information = more game viewing for you).
3. Incredibly experienced rangers and trackers (THIS is the most important thing).
4. Great value by Sabi Sand standards.
5. A unique ability to offer extreme luxury without pretense.

Paddy, Pumi, Lorna and everyone else, it was an honour to visit Savanna. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Poly1982
savannalodge, Marketing manager at Savanna Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Poly1982

Thank you for the excellent review, we are very pleased that you stayed with us and enjoyed your experience.

Dining at Savanna is such a lovely festivity, so I am pleased you loved the food and the Carriage dining experience and that your game viewing was beyond expectations.

Safe travels and we hope to see you (and hopefully some of your clients) again one day.

The Savanna Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our recent 6 days stay at Savanna Private Game Reserve Lodge was absolutely amazing. The quality of game viewing, accommodation, hospitality, service and cuisine had exceeded way beyond our expectations. Savanna made us feel so special that you did not want to leave. Each member of their staff was totally committed to making our entire African Safari experience perfect as well as providing guests with an array of great surprises; in our personal cases - an unforgettable 60th Birthday celebration in African style and a beautiful marriage proposal in the most romantic setting in the comfort of our executive suite . We were very impressed with the attention to detail, elegant and stylish approach to everything at the lodge, including the splendid little lavender bath oil filled quail eggs to be enjoyed with your bath which was filled, ready and waiting upon your arrival from the game drive every evening.
We highly recommend a visit to the local village and the orphanage where you could mix with the friendliest & happiest people on earth even though they possess every little. You would be blown away with their songs, dances and cheerful greetings. It’s good to know that Savanna has an on-going charity program dedicated to helping & giving back to its local community.
We were privileged to have the legendary Paddy (also the lodge General Manager) as our guide on all our game drives. Paddy & tracker Lawrence were remarkable at finding an incredible array of wildlife on every single safari including many rare sightings of cheetahs, wild dogs, honey badgers and birds. Not to mention all the Big Fives for most of which we saw regularly during our game drives and believe it or not, one lucky evening drive, we saw the lot in an hour and a half! We had been told by other disappointed travellers that we had been very spoiled by such amazing game viewings conducted by the Savanna Lodge as not all game drives were organized the same way by other lodges. So be aware of what you would get if you weren’t fortunate enough to be here! You couldn’t find a better place than Savanna to experience Africa wildlife and sublime hospitality. A big “Thank you” to The Savanna Family, all of you made our first trip to South Africa the most memorable experience! Sincere appreciation from Kitty & Tony Jackson

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aquatechint
Dear aquatechint

Thank you for the excellent review and of course for choosing to stay at Savanna for all your wonderful celebrations.

As you have mentioned, not all lodges are the same, but for us the focus really is on the safari aspect of your stay and we do our best to make everything else perfect too!

Safe travels and we hope to see you again one day.

Belleair, Florida
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My friend and I just enjoyed the most marvelous stay at Savanna. From the moment we arrived, our entire Savanna experience truly exceeded our expectations. The main lodge is beautifully decorated, very comfortable and a great place to share stories with other guests. Plus, most of your meals are served in there, as well. The menu, including 3-4 entree selections, were similar to what you would find in an upscale American restaurant. The food was very good, creatively presented and the table was beautifully set. Kudos to the chef and his very talented team.
Our tented hut was very comfortable, very well stocked with goodies, various wines and liquors and an assortment of non-alcoholic beverages. There was ample space to store our belongings and the double sink and large vanity was greatly appreciated by the two of us. Every night after dinner, we'd return and there would be a bubble bath with floating rose petals, romantic candles and two glasses of port wine awaiting us!! Unfortunately, since we left our husbands at home, we didn't appreciate it as much as I'm sure some of the other couples did!!
Our ranger, Andrea and our tracker, Lawrence, were a wonderful team. We saw the big five on our very first game drive, as well as a leopard languishing in the brush. During our five days there, we were fortunate to see lions frolicking with there cubs. Two female hyenas, who were taking a snooze and basking in the sun, with there 3 very young pups and an older brother who supposedly, to no avail, was the babysitter. It was so much fun watching the dynamics of the naughty little pups working on the last good nerve of their older brother. We saw a pack of wild dogs and another leopard and her cub. Andrea was such a treat! For such a young girl, she was incredibly knowledgeable about the various species of wildlife and birds we saw and very articulate, as well. She is so passionate about being a Ranger, that it was a joy to watch and listen to her. They are both such an asset to the team.
One other item I can't fail to mention is their involvement and support of their community outreach program. They employ many of the people who live in the near by village, they support a very enthusiastic and talented local choir, and they also support a local orphanage, that feeds and sees to the well being of well over 100 children each day, which I visited. This program is headed by a young woman from Holland and her name is Renske. It was so interesting to listen to her explain what Savanna has done, is doing and what they hope to accomplish in the future to help the people, young and old alike. Currently, she was excited to say, with the help of donations, they were building an addition onto the orphanage, enabling the children to eat and stay indoors, protecting them from the blistering heat or the bitterly cold temperatures
I could go on and on, but Hopefully you can tell that Savanna Lodge is a very unique and beautiful property and without a doubt, the Savanna family does whatever they can to make your stay as perfect as possible. We really had the best time!

Room Tip: I'm not sure if all the huts have a view of the watering holes but if possible request one that...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank dfied51986
Dear DFied

Thank you for the fantastic review and we are so pleased that your stay at Savanna exceeded your expectations.

It really is amazing being able to sit and watch the animals interact undisturbed by our presence rather than just viewing and driving by.

Thank you for taking such an interest in our Community efforts and if you would like to stay up to date with news, please keep an eye on the Community page on our website.

Safe travels and we hope to see you again one day.

Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Savanna Lodge was recommended to me by an employee of another lodge (which had no availability for the last minute dates I wanted to visit). This person told me Savanna was HER favorite lodge. This was a very spur of the moment trip for me and it exceeded every expectation from the warm greeting as I arrived to the send off as I left. I was exhausted from a 28 hour flight the day before and then the flight and drive into Savanna, followed by lunch and the evening safari, so returning to my room to find a candlelit bathroom, tub filled with an aromatic bubble bath, and a glass of sherry, was pure heaven. I nearly did not make it to dinner, not wanting to leave the splendor of that warm, soothing bath!! Fortunately, I DID make it to dinner and one of the fabulous meals. Returning to the room after dinner and finding the sheets warmed by a cozy hot water bottle (it is Fall there and the evenings and mornings are quite chilly) was a real treat. The bed was so comfy and cozy - like sleeping on a cloud. The room was spotlessly clean, large with a very well stocked refrigerator, coffee or tea service and a fabulous jar of homemade cookies. Every morsel of food, from the coffee and biscuits at 5:45 in the morning, to the last crumb of dessert each night, was simply delectable. Every member of the staff felt like family from the first day - actually BETTER than family as they were each completely committed to making the entire experience PERFECT. The safaris were incredible! Patrick and Lybon were amazing at finding a remarkable array of animals on every single safari drive, and their stories were great too!! There simply are not enough superlatives to describe this whole experience. I hated to leave and plan to return sooner than later!

Room Tip: I LOVED room 2 but imagine every room, because of the private layout would be just as nice. It was a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SusanShermanOaks
savannalodge, Marketing Manager at Savanna Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear SusanShermanOaks

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again one day.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was our last venue on a 3 week safari trip that started in Botswana, moved in to South Africa and ended here in paradise. Feeling increasingly less intrepid as we left the wilds of Botswana, we arrived at Savanna and all pretense of 'roughing it' vanished; you cannot even call this glamping... it is just completely and utterly luxurious.

The staff are fantastic... the food is fantastic (and endless) ... the animals are fantastic (and endless). The rooms are beautiful, the beds comfortable, the linen almost medically clean; if you want exposure the animals of Africa but want to return to a drawn bath and a glass of sherry, look now further.

Our guide, Niel, was wonderful... he found all the best animals... lions, leopards, painted wolves, rhino, elephants and more. We found live kills - super exciting. My 10 year old son developed a huge man crush on Niel, sitting up front, working the radio... total heaven.

Savanna is not cheap but it is amazing value; we looked at some other lodges that were more expensive and really... you are wasting your money. Savanna has it all.

Room Tip: The rooms further from the lodge are closer to the wildlife
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
savannalodge, Marketing manager at Savanna Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear AaronEveringham

What a wonderful review- thank you so much!
We are very pleased your family (and especially your son) enjoyed the safari and saw so much at Savanna.
We hope you will all return one day, but until then happy travels.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

What a fantastic place, we spent four nights here and felt like one of the family. The food and service were excellent even to the point that when you were out on the evening game drive there was a hot bath filled and ready for you on your return, pure heaven. The rangers and trackers know there stuff and we had some amazing sittings of all the big5. We stopped for morning coffee and a heard of elephants just walked passed, you definitely don't get that at Costa Coffee!!

Room Tip: All rooms have views of the open country.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear susanvassalo

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing your Excellent review.
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and saw so much.
Think about the elephants when you are next at Costa Coffee  and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here in March to celebrate my 50th birthday. We stayed 4 nights here in the middle of a self guided tour around South Africa. My husband and I have lived there in the past and travelled extensively in Southern and Eastern Africa but only on camping safaris. We decided to go somewhere special for the big birthday and this was recommended to me.
What can I say other then it is the best place I have ever been to and I have travelled a lot. They have it just right on all fronts. The accommodation was lovely, not too austere and in keeping with a safari camp but with every comfort and amenity available. Only 18 guests and even when full it is more like a house party. The guides dine with you at one long table and you get to talk about the day and anything else you feel like. The food was very good with plenty of choices. It is the amazing customer service that is the point of difference. We had already decided to return by day 2!
We were very fortunate to have Paddy, the GM as our guide for the first 6 game drives and and James the tracker for all our drives. We had Greg another guide for the last couple of drives and he was great too. The Landrovers are spacious and make following game and taking photos so comfortable even when you are going across terrain where you think it would be impossible to get to.
In all my travels I have never seen a leopard. I told Paddy this and he found not one but we ended up seeing 4 including a cub. On my birthday I saw the big 5 on both drives and was surprised at sundown with a tree laden with candles and lanterns, an ice bucket with champagne and nibbles........it was so beautiful and could not think of a better way to spend a special birthday.
Savanna has a lot of repeat business and I can see why. They sign off as the Savanna family and it is like that at all times. I am now thrilled to receive the Savanna blog so I can keep up with the comings and goings of the magnificent animals we saw there, especially the 7 lion cubs!
It is rare to find such a perfect blend of personal, professional and warm hospitality in an unsurpassable setting.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
savannalodge, Marketing manager at Savanna Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear sheenaac

Thank you for the excellent review and high praises.
We are so pleased you enjoyed your birthday celebrations and thank you for choosing to celebrate at Savanna. We most certainly look forward to welcoming you back, but until then, we hope you enjoy keeping up with the “news” through the Blog.

Safe travels and we will see you again soon.
Best wishes