All reviewswatering holefacing roomwater holegame drivessabi sandsoutdoor showerwild dogsother guestsresident hippocape buffalosouth africaelephants drinkingherd of elephantsmosquito netinfinity poolbush walkoff road
Reviewed February 12, 2015

We stayed at Arathusa for two nights at the end of December and I can only add to the positive comments. The room was really lovely with a very large bathroom that had an outdoor shower as well as one indoors. Our tracker, Sean, was extremely knowledgeable and made sure that we didn't miss any opportunities to see game. We saw the big five and much more.....including wild dogs. He was also fun and very personable. One of the things I didn't know to appreciate while we were there was the huge hippo pond in front of the lodge. There were a lot of hippos including two babies. Each morning you could hear them roaring as they returned to the water. We would watch them frolicking in the pond throughout the day and as we ate our meals. We never saw anything like this again on any of the game drives we did at other lodges. The other guests were very nice and we enjoyed our game drives with them. The bush walk was really fun and again Sean was able to tell us a lot about the flora and fauna as we walked through the bush. We liked the food just fine and we were really blown away by the beautiful New Year's Eve dinner. The tables were set up outside by candlelight which made a beautiful sight. We had lamb that we had seen cooking on the spit throughout the day....it was really a magical experience. The only thing that I had a slight problem with was that the WiFi didn't work very well.....we didn't go there to have WiFi and it wasn't a huge inconvenience but it would have been if we had needed WiFi to be connected. This is a fabulous lodge and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jacana
Reviewed February 10, 2015

When we arrived we were greeted by some of the staff with a big smile and made to feel very welcome and this continued with everyone that we met, all the staff were very attentive and friendly especially our Ranger Cedric and our tracker Derek. The accommodation was first class and the Safari's out of this world. The only slight negative was the food which was good but did not live up to the rest of the experience.

Stayed: January 2015, traveled with family
2  Thank nivalb
Reviewed January 21, 2015

Amazeballs! My husband and I stayed 4 nights. We stayed in a luxury lodge. Contrary to other reviews about staying in a lodge vs. the main building, we loved it. My husband and I travel 80% of the time so the alone time was much needed and we loved feeling secluded in the African bush. We had elephants and antelope outside of our room. The only problem was at night that you needed to be escorted back to the bar or main section for safety reasons. We stayed in Marula the last lodge. We loved the space, the privacy, the pool and the outdoor shower. The main building was lovely with the pool overlooking the watering hole which was occupied by elephants, antelope and hippos. Our guides were Sean and Rifus. They were outstanding and went the extra mile to make sure we had the best sitings. Our first night we saw The Big Five. On subsequent drives we saw leopards. The lion sitings were exceptional. We took a bush walk with Sean to point out all the flora, fauna, birds and insects that we dont have time for on the drive and with others. At the time of our visit, we were the only Americans which was nice. The meals are good. The desserts and breakfast exceptional. And last but not least one of the best massages I have ever had. My husband and I went twice and had hot stone therapy. It costs less than $60 USD for a 75 minute experience. Minnie was my therapists. All the staff was so friendly. This was our first safari. In the end, I can not say more about this amazing experience.

Room Tip: If you want privacy ask for Marula. You need no clothes. :)
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
8  Thank LILD1
Reviewed January 17, 2015 via mobile

Wow what can I say!!
My wife and I stayed four nights which will be four days/nights we will never forget.
The safaris were unforgettable after prior being at another game lodge we didn't think we could be further impressed. Ryan our ranger was superb, his knowledge outstanding and personality suited to the job! The close up sightings we got were amazing and regular of all of the animals with time to take pictures and enjoy the moment!
The lodge facilities were warm, inviting, modern and up to date. The rooms cleaned twice daily and to a very high level of cleanliness.
The food...... Wow where do I start! It's was varied every day and to a very very high level the chef friendly and personable and wait staff helpful.
The front office staff were very helpful in helping find my lost luggage and getting it back to me.
I would recommend Arathusa lodge to anyone looking for the most complete safari experience!!

Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nobby123456
Reviewed January 14, 2015

Such warm memories of Arathusa as i'm writing this review. My boyfriend and I did a 2 nite stay with them which I thought would be enough (tight schedule) but I regret not staying another nite just to relax in the tranquility of the lodge. Our room was secluded - Tambouti - which was perfect for the outdoor shower and pool. I kept hoping a creature would stroll by as we were out there but no luck. Our room was bigger than our NYC apt. Living room, bathtub, indoor shower, kitchenette of sorts. Hot water wasn't pumping out but it was existent.
The communal bar and dining area are open air (roof covering) and very inviting for socialization, journal writing, day dreaming. Man i want to go back!
As for the safari itself - top notch! There's really nothing I can add that hasn't already been said. Believe the positive reviews. they're true!

• Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple