“Amazing!!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Arathusa Safari Lodge
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Being very budget conscious, I wanted to experience a more personal safari before embarking on my overland tour. The Arathusa Safari Lodge was more than I had hoped for!!! The staff, the accommodations, the food, the sights, the safari... If you are looking for it all then look no further!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I can't even find the words to describe how amazing my first safari experience was at Arathusa. The grounds were beautiful, as was the luxury room we stayed in with it's own plunge pool and private deck. More than once we saw impala, nyala, and waterbuck hanging out near our room and got some great photos. The staff was kind and helpful, always just a phone call away if we needed something. The chef prepared wonderfully presented and delicious meals. The spa treatments were fantastic (I highly recommend getting a pedicure there, it was the best pedi I've ever had!). The game drives led by our incredible ranger Brett and tracker Rifus were AMAZING! Brett was extremely knowledgable and it's obvious that he loves what he does. He answered all of our questions, and his sense of humor was much enjoyed and appreciated. We saw the big 5 multiple times and Brett never failed to expertly drive the jeep to a spot where we could all take fantastic photos. I can't say enough positive things about Brett, because he is the reason my first safari experience was so unbelievable and memorable. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Arathusa and can't wait to return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jen H
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have read a few of the reviews below. First, I am shocked at what was said by some of the guests regarding the safari lodge & specifically the rangers. I have just come off 36 hours of travel back from Africa and the first thing I wanted to do (before sleeping) was write a glowing review for the lodge, staff, and specifically my ranger Brett & tracker Rifus. Brett only has your safety in mind so when he tells you to be quite and stop moving in the vehicle you should probably do it unless you want to get eaten by a leopard. You aren't in a zoo people!

Brett was a dream come true for a 1st time Safari guest. He answered all of our questions and he was so knowledgeable about everything. He has a great personality, truly loves what he does, and it shows! We were able to get great photos & videos. Over 500 pictures and 2 hours of video to be exact. We saw the big 5 multiple times and he was always sure to get us extremely close for photos. Our group was able to see a pride of lions with their cubs eating a buffalo. You don't see that everyday!

We only went on drives with Brett but we also met Ryan & Brandon, 2 other rangers at the lodge and they were funny & informative as well. Always willing to answer questions, walk us to our rooms, or anything else we needed.

Theodora works in the spa. I received a mani/pedi from her. The pedicure was by far the best pedicure of my life. If you are going, please treat yourself to a service.

Jeff, the chef had the best meals. Always the freshest fruits & vegetables. I'll be dreaming about his fresh salads for weeks.

The staff was great and we were never left wanting for anything. My friend & I stayed in a luxury suite as the others were sold out. I don't know if I would stay in those rooms again. They are amazing with your own patio and private plunge pool but I was so busy during the day, I wasn't in my room long enough to enjoy it. However, if you are going on your honeymoon, invest in the luxury room, it is so romantic!

I am not a photographer and only had a point and shoot camera. But you can see even with a cheapy camera you are able to get extremely close for great shots.

Room Tip: You are staying at a safari lodge in an open reserve not the Waldorf Astoria. Expect bugs, big one...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank BiancaSmn
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have to agree with some earlier posts. I had Brett as my safari guide for most of my 4-day stay and he was moderately rude and lacking. He got us to the animals but seemed to not love his job. We always returned earlier than the other groups. He grew tired of my question asking quickly. I get it, people ask you dumb questions all the time, but this is your JOB. He had just come off a sabatical so there's really no excuse. The tracker was very nice. Other guests ranged from very friendly to extremely offensively rude. We were in a luxury room because the others were sold out and it's definitely not worth the money. We had a major Major bug problem. It's a safari, I expect bugs, but at least 10 cockroaches in the room every night? Good thing I live in NYC and am used to it. We had massages which were excellent. Our check out was messed up (said we were all done, then said we owed more, then tried to charge for drinks we didn't drink) but otherwise the front desk ladies were good. Most annoying was the fact that we had to have a guide or tracker walk us to our room after dark. Basically we stand around waiting for the guide and all other guests in the luxury rooms, then the guide walks us with no weapon, and leaves the group each time to walk each person to their room. What's the point? We saw lots of animals, so all around just ok.

Room Tip: Don't bother getting the luxury room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Katmc3
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our 6 day visit was the best ever. Ranger Brett and tracker Rifos where the best team I,ve had in 8 safaris in 4 African countries. They worked hard, not only to find the animals, but then made sure everyone in their Toyota was able to get pictures. Not only were they both very professional, they also quickly became friends we wanted to be with at the bar at the end of each nights game drive.

The staff at the lodge are also outstanding, and with Vernon there as the new resort manager, everything will get even better. Vernon was very quick to find us a cabin close to the waterhole when the rather long trek to the more remote but wonderfully luxurious accommodation proved to be a problem for my 83 year old legs.

Even the grounds workers have been trained to have excellent customer relations, so every encounter with an Arathusa worker added to our pleasant stay. It is truly 5 star resort in every way.

We won't even think of trying a different resort for our next visit to South Africa

Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Keith M
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My first trip to South Africa was in 2008 and lasted 47 days. I traveled the country from east to west and from north to south going to the coast, the winelands, the desert, the mountains, big towns, small towns, big lodges, small lodges, you name it. It was a trip of a life time. I got a really good feel of the country. What I found in South Africa was not what I had expected. There was diversity on every level and the south african people where really warn and welcoming. But I must say that in some way I had unfinished business when I went to South Africa. I had not completed my quest for the big 5 on a earlier trip to Kenya. I was still missing the elusive leopard. So that brings me to Arathusa safari lodge. Arathusa is situated in the Sabi sand private game reserve. I was told the "prime location" to see leopard up close and personal. Well let me tell you that I was not disappointed with my stay at Arathusa. The lodge is simply paradise, a home away from home. The rooms are big, clean and confortable. The chalets overlook the water hole where there is quasi-constant activity by big or small animals. it is not rare to see heards of elephant come to drink and swim. On one occasion a pride of female lions killed a buffalo maybe 50m from the lodge! As for leopards, i have seen my fair share, male, female, cubs, mating leopards etc. Needless to stay, this safari business is addictive. Every game drive is different. I have always received a warm welcome from the staff (specially Marilize, Helena and Penny). They are always ready to assist in any way possible even when it does not fit in their job discription. The chef, Malcolm (we should be able to clone him because when we do return home we suffer from "good cooking withdrawl".) is simply a genius. His cooking is both original and sublime. Over the years I have had the opportunity to drive with almost all the rangers and trackers at the lodge. They are all polite, professionnal and very knowledgeable. They will always go out their way to get to a sightings even if it means going off road (for the big five only) or getting back late to the lodge. They are always happy to take us on bushwalks so we can see the small stuff. These walks are always interesting. Once we were even "sniffed out" by a curious giraffe. This past june I said farewell to Jason, one of the longtime rangers I had had the opportunity to drive with. I was touched when Jason took the time to introduce me to his successor, Brett. It turns out that Brett was a very good addition to the Arathusa family. He is an experience ranger, very knowledgeable also. I found him to be quite professionnal. He knows how to enter a sighting, how to position the vehicule so all the guests can see what is happening and get good photos. Also, he knows how to anticipate the most likely moves that the animal will make, like going for a drink or waiting a few extra minutes until the lion roared again just a few feet from our vehicule. Such experiences are priceless. As for questions and stuff he was more than happy to answer them and give more explanations if necessary. He treats his guests nicely. Having said all that, you will understand that I can not disagree more with the comments made by Erfurt form Florida. I cannot end my review without pointing out the excellent work of head ranger Ryan and trackers DeBeer and roy
Arathusa is truly an amazing place to visit and in my case revisit!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the luxury rooms. They are very nice and chic (swimming pool and all) but do not have...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sue155033
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I've written 4 more reviews on Arathusa ,so please feel free to read them .

Firsttimers on safari have no idea how lucky they are when booking Arathusa !

Food was once again served AND presented by Malcolm ; you really have to catch this on film because he does it which such enthusiasm that it is quite a show !
Malcolm's wife Marilize will take care of any special requests you may have of the nonfood kind.

Ryan was our ranger , he is a very experienced ranger and he has been at Arathusa for 6 years now ,so he knows what he is doing.

On our last day of safari while looking for wildlife we went to see wild dogs with a kill ; now it turned out that this kill was stolen from a leopard who was still at the scene but way up in a tree
hiding for the wild dogs . So when watching the wild dogs and the leopard , a pride of lions enter the scene accompanied by a couple of hyenas in a safe distance : can you imagine !!!!

Sad thing for me is that I lost all my footage of this experience and Malcolm's dinner presentation when leaving my laptop at the very thorough bagage scanning facilities at Frankfurt airport.

We will be back though with a whole bunch of people we are trying to gather for another fantastic stay at Arathusa in september of 2013.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
#15 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Nkorho Bush Lodge
Nkorho Bush Lodge
#14 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Arathusa Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!