“Luxury and amazing animal sightings!”
Review of Dulini River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Dulini River Lodge
Reviewed November 23, 2008

We just returned from 2 nights at Exeter River Lodge and stayed in cabin 6. The luxury and attention to detail in the cabin was perfect. The outdoor shower and deck overlooking the river was a great place to view animals. We actually saw a herd of elehpant walk past while sitting on the deck. Our Ranger Craig's excitement for finding unique animal encounters was contagious. He is an amature photographer so is motivated to find the best shots. We heard from another vehicle that there were mating leopard nearby. We found them and were a few feet away as they walked past the Rover! They went into the bush and Patrick the tracker said to go around into the dry riverbed and head them off. What a rush to drive at speed to get around in front of them. We were fortunate to witness the mating. I can't say enough about the game drives for how close we could get. They are used to the vehicles and walk by without bother - just don't get out of the vehicle :)

The staff are very attentive and the chef will accomodate special requests. We were travelling with friends who had a birthday the first night. They came out with a nice desert and champagne.

If you want to be spoiled in luxury and see animals up close, don't miss this place.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank travels4fun2007
There are newer reviews for Dulini River Lodge

Reviewed November 2, 2008

I have never written a Trip Advisor review before, but i feel compelled to write this one because the lodge was so incredibly amazing. We stayed here for 3 nights on our honeymoon in early September 2008 and for us 3 nights was perfect. The staff wake you at 5.30 each morning for your morning game drive, which lasts from about 6am until 9am and then you meet up again about 3.30pm for a game drive at 4pm until 7pm. In between there is chance to relax, have a massage, eat a gorgeous lunch down on the deck, whilst watching the nyalas, elephants and baboons. The game drives are fantastic, the staff (Ryan and Phickson) so knowlegeable and enthusiastic. You get so close to the animals and from what i gather it would be unusual if you didn't get to see all or most of the Big 5 on your trip. The birds are also stunning. The food and wine at the lodge is top notch, although i wouldn't recommend drinking too much wine, as I did on the first evening, as those game drive vehicles are not very forgiving!!!
The thatched bungalows are beatiful air conditioned luxurious suites, with stunning bathrooms, with double showers and floor to ceiling windows overlooking the river.
I can't praise this lodge and the staff enough and if anyone says otherwise, don't believe them!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Worthers909
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I stayed here for a couple of nights and really enjoyed it. The transfers were very easy as you can get a flight from Johannesburg to an airstrip within 15-20 minutes of the lodge. The bungalows are a good size with lovely bathrooms and a private veranda overlooking the reserve and a small plunge pool (perfect on a sunny afternoon between game drives). I liked the fact that our bungalow felt very private. The food was tasty and dinner alternated between individual tables and group dining. We saw all the big game (elephants, lions, leapord, rhino etc. as well as wild dogs) in the couple of days that we were there which was great and our ranger was very professional and enthusiastic. The animals were very calm so you could get pretty close up. I loved the relaxed and friendly atmosphere at the lodge, while at the same time being looked after fabulously by the staff. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly (even my boyfriend who didn't think he was too keen on game lodges) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn93
Reviewed June 11, 2008

We stayed at Exeter River Lodge for 3 days and 2 nights. We were in no way disappointed. The view from the terrace is great to see animals, ranging from impala to lion! The rooms are simply decorated but with a lot of taste and there's plenty of room. It was a bit cold for us, but there's a small plunge pool you can use to relax in the afternoon, which is a nice touch.

The game drives were very informative and we went tracking each of the big 5 we saw, and in the end we saw all of them. We didn't come across large herds in Sabi Sands but tracking was fun, and the animals always beautiful. The ranger, Craig and tracker Godfree we really full of information, talented, dedicated, and fun. We had a great time during our drives.

The food was also lovely and quite varied, and the lodge caters for special meals from kosher, hallal, vegan, whatever you require.

We also did an in-room back massage and I was a bit weary seeing that this is not a spa, but I must say I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it as a way to destress (not like you're very stressed anyways) in between drives (it's good if you have a bad back).

Service was on par with the rest of the the lodge. Another great lodge form CC Africa.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Castor_Pollux
Reviewed April 22, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Lodge #4 and had an excellent time. Definitely exceeded our expectations. During my research, I was was very confused and changed my mind often. I am so happy that we chose Exeter River. Our ranger was Ryan, and he is really the best. So enthusiastic about the animals, and very informative. We saw the "Magnificent Seven" - which is better than the "Big Five". Serive is so friendly and attentive. They even surprised us on our last night with a Honeymoon special - candelight dinner in our room, drawn bath and champagne. I didn't even tell them we were recently married! The rooms are clean and luxurious. Note about the food.... which I thought was good... however, one might expect better food Singita where I am sure they have better presentation and more extravagant ingredients. But the food was not disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blakkatt21
Reviewed May 20, 2007

My wife and I and 11 friends just returned from four nights at Exeter and we cannot say enough about it. The entire experience was phenomenal. The accommodations were very luxurious while still maintaining a casual safari/bush feel, and the staff was incredibly attentive and friendly without being intrusive. The meals were exceptional - kudos to Lindiwe, the chef, for preparing truly gourmet dishes. Of course, the highlights were the game drives led by expert guides and trackers (in our case, Marcelino and Isaac), who explained everything about the animals and the landscape and whose love of the surroundings was infectious. I cannot imagine better game viewing (we saw all of the "big five" within the first 24 hrs.). All in all, a truly sensational experience.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank IanVilla
Reviewed March 12, 2007

Planing my visit to Johannesburg to speak at a conference, I stumbled around Trip Advisor and tons of other internet sites looking for information and comforting information about taking a bush safari. I reached out to Tanya a frequent visitor on the SA forums about my upcoming trip to JoBurg. This turned out to be the best thing I could have done. Tanya recommended Exeter River Lodge. The experience was one of a lifetime. Yes, the African Bush is quite different than anything you will experience in the US. But the Exeter/CCA experience I believe is rare. Form being picked up at the Ulusaba airstrip to checkin to the safari game drives. Every touchpoint of my trip was filled with smiles and passion. I rated this experience the best of the best. I can only hope and dream to spend more time in the Sabi bush at Exeter River Lodge.

Stayed: March 2007