“There is Much More to a Safari Than the Animals...”
Review of Tydon Safari Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Tydon Safari Camp
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Magic, friendship, true awesomeness...
In mid-April, my daughter (aged 23), my good friend, and I experienced Tydon Safari Camp for 4 too-short days. Anticipating a rustic camping experience, we were very pleasantly surprised to arrive at a very lovely and comfortable small camp site with well appointed tents (complete with air conditioning and private bathrooms), a small but serviceable and very pleasant pool (the human watering hole), and charming open air lodge where guests dine and relax and visit. Driven from Johannesburg to Tydon by owner Gavin, we got to experience his wry sense of humor as well as his knowledge and love of that region of South Africa. A warm greeting by Vangie, Tyron and Donovan (Gavin's family), the guides and staff were just the beginning to the wonderful hospitality, magnificent bush experience, and warm friendship we were to receive the rest of our stay.
Our morning drives began with warm blankets (provided in the vehicle for each guest), beautiful sunrises, lovely aromas and sounds from the bush, and many sightings of beautiful animals and birds. Our evening drives provided more animal sightings, 'sundowners' complete with a cold refreshment, and the most beautiful star filled skies. Jared, our driver, was extremely knowledgeable and dedicated to making sure our international group not only saw the Big Five, but that we had every possible photo op, questions answered, and needs met with extreme patience and enthusiasm.
I speak for our whole group when I express the bittersweet joy and sadness we felt on our last evening drive as we sat under the gorgeous night sky staring at the Southern Cross and Milky Way while surrounded by the Charleston Trio lion pride. We had all fallen in love with the South African bush and were not ready to leave.
The Tydon Family Staff is top-notch, the food delicious (they do make a heroic effort to try and satisfy non-traditional diets i.e vegan), the sleep accommodations extremely comfortable, and the 'down time' between drives and evening campfires quite special.
It is important to know that much of the 'success' of a safari stay is due not only to an amazing staff and accommodation like Tydon, but also to the collegiality of one's safari group. We were very privileged to experience the whole package.

Room Tip: tents with two beds were quite spacious - a third bed makes it tight to move around from front to ba...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank citygirl4evah

Reviewed May 16, 2014

We had a great time at Tydons,the tents are comfortable and the food is very good. It is all very relaxed and easy going. It is easy to go into Kruger or Sabi Sands from here and our guides were great. Gavin and Vangie are both good at responding to emails and will answer any sort of questions you may have.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ELLAID
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

My dad and I spent 4 nights at the camp and can't stop going on about how amazing the experience was. The guides were great!!! The tents are for sure the best way do a safari and the food was excellent!!! From the welcome we got till drop of in Johannesburg the people at tydon did all they can to make us feel as comfortable as possible.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Visited Johannesburg for work and decided to take advantage of the fact that I was in South Africa. After searching numerous safari's, decided on Tydon Safari Camp. What a great decision! The staff was incredible. Jaques and Debbie took great care of me during my 3 night adventure. As luck would have it, I was the only guest for 2 nights, so I had my own personal safari! Jaques and Debbie were incredible, knowledgeable guides. We were able to witness a leopard in a tree with it's kill (still can't get over that) and find the Big 5 after a day.

The entire staff at the camp was great. The meals, the "tents", everything. Can't say enough about how wonderful a time I had. The absolute experience of a life time.

-Rodney
Atlanta, GA

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Rodney619
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This family owned and operated business provides the warm, personal experience you want when you are 'on safari'. Our hosts took wonderful and special care of us as we arrived the day after my wife took a fall breaking her foot and ankle and messing up her arm. She was on crutches and in a lot of pain - and the staff helped us through all of that with special care for our 6 day experience. Thanks Gavin and Barnet. We especially loved our guide Barnet - she was very knowledgable and helpful. The food was great - home cooking at its best. The twice a day safari drives were wonderful - we especially enjoyed being in the leased area of Sabai Sands where Tydon folks can go off road to locate and follow wild life. This in contrast to the Kruger experience where it's much larger - but one must stick to the main roads to view the animals. Both experiences are marvelous by the way - just different. Our camp was just outside the Sabai Sands park entrance but they also operate a small bush camp inside the park. Where we stayed there were maybe 6-15 people there at a time. The safari vehicles hold 11. Anyway in spite of infirmities we enjoyed our visit in the bush very much and would highly recommend these folks. I't not the luxury experience of the $1000/night per person places - but really - I'd much rather be in this more authentic environment than being served French food on linens by a formally dressed waiter. We go to Paris for that…..

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fiddle_man
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Absolutely amazing time spent at Tydon Safari Camp for a 4-day safari in April 2014.
Very intimate camp with a limited amount of tents deep in the bush. This was the perfect oxygen-bubble needed after hectic days at work in everyday life.
The game drives were above all expectations. Sharing this experience, already incredible, with great "camp-mates" and passionate guides was fantastic. Always in a good mood, smiling, laughing, answering kindly to every question we had (eventhough these were not always so wise :-)) Had the chance to have snapchots of animal's life - a good lesson of respect and simplicity for human beings.
Comfort, welcome, landscapes, food, people, eveything was just unforgettable!
If you plan to travel to SA for a safari, Tydon is definitely the best choice you can make.

Million thanks to the Tydon tribute - and hope to see you soon! As a very special visitor of the camp already said: "I will be back" too :-)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pauline D
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was in Johannesburg for work for few days and wanted to stay one week on vacation. I chose Tydon Safari and I made the best choice! I chose the formula 6 days 5 nights with alternating games to the Kruger Park and the Sadi Sand reserve and a game walk in Sabi Sand. We picked me up at my hotel (in Sandton) and pick me back to the airport in Johannesburg, taking the panoramic road (worth it!). I was very lucky because I saw "The Big Five" in one day (I was lucky lili!!!) ! The camp is very nice, quiet and relaxing. The facilities are great. The tent is very comfortable, it feels like the hotel! And Rangers team is extraordinary friendly, welcoming, smiling, caring. I got one and I was welcomed into a family. In July/August, very few vegetation so maybe easier to see animals.
I really recommand this address !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ore-Lili
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge
#2 of 13 in Kruger National Park
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Nkorho Bush Lodge
Nkorho Bush Lodge
#14 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reser...
#1 of 1 in Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve

Been to Tydon Safari Camp? Share your experiences!