Tydon Safari Camp
SUN1 Pretoria(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
$40
Fortis Hotel Capital(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
$91
Agoda.com
Morning Star Express Hotel(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
$63
  • Pool
Arcadia Hotel(Pretoria)
$86
  • Restaurant
Arathusa Safari Lodge(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssabi sands and krugerkruger parkother guestsoff roadluxury tentsboth parkstraditional foodgame driveshot and cold waterair conditioningjohannesburg airportfewer animalssharing storiesan amazing experienceprivate reservesouth africapersonal experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Friend and I stayed this month, 2 nights (big mistake, but due to tight schedule).

Gavin, owner collected us from Johannesburg. Long, but lovely drive to camp.

Our camp had 6 luxury tents (flushing toilets, power shower & a/c).

Straight out when we arrived on our first drive as the sun sets! No more than five minutes from camp we saw our first (of many elephant)! We jumped out the open top safari range rover for a cold beer as the sun set over the park. Then, using a huge flashlight to spot the animals, we were off again - mama and baby rhino, zebra, even a baby chameleon!

We did 3 drives in total - some even just the two of us with a guide! We saw everything apart from cats, but that's the chance you take when they are in the wild (others did whilst we were there).

Each night ended with dinner around the campfire - great local food and a chance to catch up with who saw what over some wine. Always quite early to bed as you are up early to see the animals.

Top tips - stay in the larger camp - you can go to Sabi Sand and Kruger ; stay for at least five days - that way you will have more chances to see animals. Bring layers for the early morning drives - the sun hasn't had a chance to warm up yet! Keep your eyes and ears peeled - there are animals everywhere - it is fantastic!

Thank you guys - already saving up for the next Tydon adventure! Keep me posted.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My father and I just go back last month (mid-August) from South Africa having spent 7 days at Tydon, splitting our time between the main camp and the bush camp (this option may not be available for you, it wasn't that busy when we went). This review is for the main camp, although almost all of it applies to the smaller bush camp as well.

We arrived in Johannesburg in the evening and were picked up at the airport by a local B&B (Eagle Rock) that Tydon recommended for us. Just as an aside, it was very nice. The next morning we were picked up by Gavin along with 2 other guests and driven on the roughly 5 hour drive to the safari camp, stopping for lunch at a charming restaurant on the way where I had an assortment of wild game including ostrich, wild boar, and crocodile. It should be noted that the cost of this meal was not included in the package, although virtually all other expenses were. We arrived at the camp in the early afternoon, and after taking a short time to settle in we were on our first game drive!

The vehicles used on these drives are excellent; Land Rovers with 3 rows each holding 3 passengers, although they were never full at any point in our stay...for a couple of drives we had the vehicle to ourselves!. When going to Kruger National Park, you have to go in covered vehicles; the ones used when going to Sabi Sands private game reserve are open. The morning drives can be quite chilly (at this time of the year, anyway), and you'll definitely use the provided blankets! Dress in layers; a light jacket with a sweater underneath is ideal.

By the end of the third day, we'd seen the entire big 5. We were hoping for cheetahs and wild dogs as well, but never saw them (there just aren't that many of them in the area). I can't recommend staying for 5 or 6 days enough...while we had fulfilled the "checklist" of seeing the big 5 by day 3, the extra time allowed us the opportunity for better, closer encounters, as well as seeing some of the more obscure animals such as jackals and a colony of dwarf mongooses! On one of the night drives in Sabi Sands we encountered three(!) leopards, 2 males and a female. One of the leopards walked directly under me in the vehicle...I could have reached out and touched him!

The accommodations are what I would describe as "luxury camping". It was every bit as nice as a good hotel room, with a combination air conditioner/heater that kept the very roomy tent quite comfortable day and night. There's a good hot shower & toilet in each tent as well. The beds were firm, but quite nice.

The food was very good! Breakfasts were buffet-style, with all the usual cold dishes (cereal, yogurt, toast, muffins, etc.) as well a couple of hot ones (typically bacon and some sort of egg dish). Lunches were fairly light, but had more variety; chicken crepes, hamburgers, etc. Dinner is typically barbeque-style with many side dishes, as Gavin put it, he's trying to serve you the sort of food a South African family would serve to guests if they had them over for dinner. Beef or chicken on the grill was common, with other dishes as well. You won't go away hungry. Dinner is eaten around a campfire with the guides while everyone talks about the days experiences, although the conversations were very wide-ranging, when we had people from three different continents taking part!

The guides are extremely knowledgeable and friendly. It's a much more personal experience than being in a bus with 30 people while someone drones into a microphone!

Before we knew it, the trip was over and we were driven back to Johannesburg via the Panorama Route. There's magnificent scenery on the way back, but fog had moved in and we were only able to see about 50 feet in front of us! Oh, well...

A wonderful experience, I can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Tydon for 4 days and we absolutely loved it.

Ranges:
In the sabi sand reserve drives, there are no bad seats. It’s stadium seating, open roof, with 3x3 seats. Sabi sands doesn’t have a large natural river running through it(at least during our season august) so you will not see hippos/crocs in those rides, but tydon is smart and unique in that it supplements with kruger park range days which offers a different experience and they did have crocs/hippos for us to see.

Our ranger(lyam) was extremely knowledgeable and went above and beyond to make sure you had a great experience with the animals. Example #1 - we heard a leopard yelp from about half a mile away and he was able to locate it within 5 minutes in the dark. Example #2 wild dogs are very rare(~450 in the kruger region) and he had a radio call about a wild pack of dogs sighting and drove like a maniac(but safely) for 15 minutes just to make sure we could see the elusive pack especially cause I had requested it. They may not guarantee you to see your desired animal, but you know they will try their hardest. We saw everything except the lions, but the other guest with us saw the “magnificent 7”(big 5 + cheetah+dogs) and the guests we were with just emailed us that they saw lions on the very next range after we left.

Lodging: lodging is comfortable high-end tents and nice bedding, clean soft sheets, with a/c unit. Shower unit was very clean, good water pressure, no complaints there. Lighting is dim though so if you’re a book worm, it may be a bit challenging. Zero bugs/mosquitos seen during our stay in august/September. We didn’t find a need to use any bug spray.
Food: breakfast and lunch were good albeit the same, but who cares. I eat the same breakfast/lunch at home too. I’m here for the safari!

Dinner: this is where tydon meals shine. Our Tydon dinners gave us the opportunity to have traditional/authentic(suzie the south African cook) food that was great. They explained the background of the SA food and we would then just socialize/eat around a campfire(no we we’re not eating on the floor…). There are only 6 guest tents so the group is intimate and you really get to know your other fellow travelers. It was really fun getting to know the other international guests. Gavin would share stories and engage us and this was a great time to ask safari questions or just get to know them and each other better. We also did a 5 day trip to capetown and suzie’s south African cooking was better than capetown’s south African restaurants.

My wife and I felt like gavin and his team went out of their way to treat us like part of the family. Tydon is not meant to be a foo-foo fancy luxury safari where people wait on you hand and foot. It is a meant to be a great safari that will take you on good game drives, give you good food and comfortable lodging, and you can feel like you’re part of the bush. A wonderful experience thanks to Gavin and team. Thanks again guys!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony C
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We spent 5 days at Tydon Safari Camp with our three boys ages 12, 10, and 8 in late August. I cannot say enough good things about this experience. It was definitely the highlight of our two week trip to South Africa.
The guides were terrific, we saw the Big Five and then some! We were often on drives with an older gentleman who had done many safari trips before, and he even thought this experience was one of the best he had ever had.
The tents are very comfortable and a fun and unique way to go- the boys especially loved the adventure of staying in tents. The food was really delicious, and they really catered to our particular dietary restrictions (my one son has a peanut allergy and I don't eat red meat- both were no problem for them to handle). I loved how at night all the guests sat around the fire and ate together- gave us a chance to meet some really interesting people.
The guides and staff were all very professional and friendly. One of my sons sustained a little injury while we were there (he was messing around in the pool- don't worry the place is safe, he just shouldn't have been doing what he was doing) and one of the guides was able to expertly provide first aid.
All in all it was an amazing experience that I would, and have, recommended to everyone I know. Would love to go back some day!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had a great experience at Tydon. My friend and I stayed for 5 days and loved every minute of it. The owners are very kind and their staff are knowledgeable and very professional. I highly recommend their safari!

Room Tip: I stayed at the main camp but would really enjoy staying at the bush camp next time.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends