“A great experience”
Review of Tydon Safari Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Tydon Safari Camp
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed here for 4 days at the end of our honeymoon. She was initially apprehensive about 4 days in a tent, but her concerns quickly disappeared once we arrived!
Gavin and the staff are amazing, catering to our every need (including a private dinner on my Wife's birthday!) they are very knowledgable, have greaf outgoing personalities, and make every drive memorable.
I would not hesitate in recommending this camp to anyone doing a safari, especially considering a lot of the other camps are much bigger and impersonal.
It was an experience that we will never forget!

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We enjoyed our stay and the several game drives we went on. The camp is a 10 minute drive to Paul Kruger gate. We saw the Big 5 several times over and spent well over an hour one day following a Cheetah in the morning and a Leopard in the evening. And by following, I mean we were 10 feet away from both animals for this period of time. Gavin, the guides, and even Gavin's boys all have a unique combination of passion for the animals and hospitality -- you probably won't experience that at the mega resorts in the area.

Room Tip: All the cabins seemed the same.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had a quick safari with Tydon tours, 3 days and 2 nights! The location and rooms were so comfortable and absolutely safe! The food, hospitality and homely environment of the accommodation made me feel, a solo traveler feel extremely relaxed! I appreciated the attention to detail, and the obvious passion that all staff had for their jobs! Each person I met, Gavin, Debbie, especially made the safari a special experience! The game drives were highly professional and very intimate. Debbie my guide was thoroughly educated and really tried her best to make the most of the short time that I had to see the animals! Thus experience could not be topped - amazing!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank AmySkinner
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have arrived to Tydon purely based on Tripadvisor recommendations, and they were all correct.
The place lives by the great hospitality of the owners, and the professiionalism of the guides.
We enjoyed every minute of our stay, and do not be concerned about the "tents" - they provide a better frame of mind for getting close to the the safari feeling.

A longer and more detailed report after we unpack our bags, but this is by far our greatest positive surprise

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My 13 yr old son and I did a 4 day safari. It was our first experience and it was just amazing seeing so many animals. Gavin and Wengie were great hosts - I did the outward trip from Jo'burg to the camp with one and the return with the other and they gave me such insight into the life in South Africa and their life on the farm.
The guides Lyam and Steve (we did a walking safari with him) were so knowledgeble and taught us so much in such a short time. By the end of the 4 days I felt ready to take people on a safari myself. Lyam was brilliant with the children and even with the adults and their never ending questions. When he picked up and got bitten by a snake he became our Bear Grylls!
We loved both the off road drives in Sabi Sands and the road drives in Kruger. The evening in the camp were magical and the food exquisite!
Even the 'hippo' pool at the camp where we studied the insect life of the bush was very welcome after the hot and dusty drives.
An excellent experience which I would recommend to anyone.The perfect balancebetween a family run atmosphere at the camp and the extreme professionality of the guides.

Room Tip: The tent next to the amazing yellow bird that sings in the morning!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 30Bridget1964
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We went on a 6-day Safari with Tydon Safaris, staying at this Safari Camp. "We" were a mature couple and our daughter and son-in-law. It was an unforgettable experience run by a very talented team. Unlike many bigger outfits, Tydon Safaris offers a very personal service, not least because the owner, Gavin, the Camp staff and the wildlife Guides all take part in the daily life of the Camp - and treat you with such thoughtfulness.
The animals and birds, even the flowers were all stunning. The vehicles were really excellent for viewing the wildlife. The combination of daytime road drives in Kruger and daytime offroad drives, walks and night drives in Sabi Sands is perfect, as you see so many completely different habitats and wildlife.
The guides were simply wonderful, not only in their amazing ability to find so many animals and instantly identify just about anything we saw... but in giving us so much of their time, between safaris – sharing tales around the braai under the stars, and helping us identify our animals and birds, while going through our photos over lunch in the thatched lapa.
On the last day, our guide for that day, Steve, actually asked us "what would you like to see", and I'd really been hoping to spot a chameleon. This seemed so unlikely that my family laughed about it... but what was the first thing Steve found for me, that night by torchlight? A flapnecked chameleon!
The Camp is real luxury, the "tents" are more like little houses on stilts, with canvas roofs and ensuite bathrooms! The evening meals around the braai are superb.
The pickup from Jo'burg airport (for my husband and I) was reassuring for us, as I was a bit nervous of the city; but it is quite a long drive. Our daughter and her husband were already in Nelspruit, though, so we collected them from Nelspruit airport on the way to the camp. From Nelspruit to Kruger is very scenic and a much shorter journey.

Room Tip: ALL the "tented rooms" are equally luxurious.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fran-and-Pete
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Tydon provided an absolutely amazing experience!

Gavin and his team and family were so friendly, welcoming and extremely knowlegable about the area and the animals that it gave us a wonderful, full-rounded safari experience! The guides (Stephen and Debbie and tracker, Ty) knew where to go to see the animals which allowed us to see all of the big 5 in just 3 days (including 2 leopards close up in one sighting and a black rhino!). Everything is run like clockwork whilst still remaining relaxed and homely, with wonderful accommodation in luxury tents with ensuite and the best food SA has to offer! They even wake you up in the (very early) morning for the safari trips! We also had no stress in being picked up and dropped off from/to Jo'berg (even going out of their way to find a driver who could take us to where we needed to go). You can see that they really care about the place as well as the environment and animals around them.

Tydon is definitely value for money and we definitely recommend the Kruger + Sabi experience! We hope to go back again!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#10 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Umkumbe Safari Lodge
Umkumbe Safari Lodge
#1 of 1 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Tydon Safari Camp? Share your experiences!