“my expectations have all been exceeded!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tydon Safari Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Tydon Safari Camp
“my expectations have all been exceeded!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had a quick safari with Tydon tours, 3 days and 2 nights! The location and rooms were so comfortable and absolutely safe! The food, hospitality and homely environment of the accommodation made me feel, a solo traveler feel extremely relaxed! I appreciated the attention to detail, and the obvious passion that all staff had for their jobs! Each person I met, Gavin, Debbie, especially made the safari a special experience! The game drives were highly professional and very intimate. Debbie my guide was thoroughly educated and really tried her best to make the most of the short time that I had to see the animals! Thus experience could not be topped - amazing!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank AmySkinner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Tel Aviv
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have arrived to Tydon purely based on Tripadvisor recommendations, and they were all correct.
The place lives by the great hospitality of the owners, and the professiionalism of the guides.
We enjoyed every minute of our stay, and do not be concerned about the "tents" - they provide a better frame of mind for getting close to the the safari feeling.

A longer and more detailed report after we unpack our bags, but this is by far our greatest positive surprise

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My 13 yr old son and I did a 4 day safari. It was our first experience and it was just amazing seeing so many animals. Gavin and Wengie were great hosts - I did the outward trip from Jo'burg to the camp with one and the return with the other and they gave me such insight into the life in South Africa and their life on the farm.
The guides Lyam and Steve (we did a walking safari with him) were so knowledgeble and taught us so much in such a short time. By the end of the 4 days I felt ready to take people on a safari myself. Lyam was brilliant with the children and even with the adults and their never ending questions. When he picked up and got bitten by a snake he became our Bear Grylls!
We loved both the off road drives in Sabi Sands and the road drives in Kruger. The evening in the camp were magical and the food exquisite!
Even the 'hippo' pool at the camp where we studied the insect life of the bush was very welcome after the hot and dusty drives.
An excellent experience which I would recommend to anyone.The perfect balancebetween a family run atmosphere at the camp and the extreme professionality of the guides.

Room Tip: The tent next to the amazing yellow bird that sings in the morning!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 30Bridget1964
Wales, UK
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We went on a 6-day Safari with Tydon Safaris, staying at this Safari Camp. "We" were a mature couple and our daughter and son-in-law. It was an unforgettable experience run by a very talented team. Unlike many bigger outfits, Tydon Safaris offers a very personal service, not least because the owner, Gavin, the Camp staff and the wildlife Guides all take part in the daily life of the Camp - and treat you with such thoughtfulness.
The animals and birds, even the flowers were all stunning. The vehicles were really excellent for viewing the wildlife. The combination of daytime road drives in Kruger and daytime offroad drives, walks and night drives in Sabi Sands is perfect, as you see so many completely different habitats and wildlife.
The guides were simply wonderful, not only in their amazing ability to find so many animals and instantly identify just about anything we saw... but in giving us so much of their time, between safaris – sharing tales around the braai under the stars, and helping us identify our animals and birds, while going through our photos over lunch in the thatched lapa.
On the last day, our guide for that day, Steve, actually asked us "what would you like to see", and I'd really been hoping to spot a chameleon. This seemed so unlikely that my family laughed about it... but what was the first thing Steve found for me, that night by torchlight? A flapnecked chameleon!
The Camp is real luxury, the "tents" are more like little houses on stilts, with canvas roofs and ensuite bathrooms! The evening meals around the braai are superb.
The pickup from Jo'burg airport (for my husband and I) was reassuring for us, as I was a bit nervous of the city; but it is quite a long drive. Our daughter and her husband were already in Nelspruit, though, so we collected them from Nelspruit airport on the way to the camp. From Nelspruit to Kruger is very scenic and a much shorter journey.

Room Tip: ALL the "tented rooms" are equally luxurious.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Tydon provided an absolutely amazing experience!

Gavin and his team and family were so friendly, welcoming and extremely knowlegable about the area and the animals that it gave us a wonderful, full-rounded safari experience! The guides (Stephen and Debbie and tracker, Ty) knew where to go to see the animals which allowed us to see all of the big 5 in just 3 days (including 2 leopards close up in one sighting and a black rhino!). Everything is run like clockwork whilst still remaining relaxed and homely, with wonderful accommodation in luxury tents with ensuite and the best food SA has to offer! They even wake you up in the (very early) morning for the safari trips! We also had no stress in being picked up and dropped off from/to Jo'berg (even going out of their way to find a driver who could take us to where we needed to go). You can see that they really care about the place as well as the environment and animals around them.

Tydon is definitely value for money and we definitely recommend the Kruger + Sabi experience! We hope to go back again!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Polokwane, South Africa
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I received a short assignment for South Africa and wanted to do a safari - it had to be safe because I was a woman traveling alone. Gavin patiently answered all my questions and provided an awesome experience. This included transport from Jo'burg with Joy - who provided an excellent introduction to many aspects of life in South Africa. The camp exceeded my expectations - truly luxury in a tent! Food - outstanding! Tours included Sabi Sands and Kruger. The camp was near the Sabi Sands fence and yes I heard lions at night! A highlight was a dawn safari in Sabi Sands where we came really close to some napping buffaloes. Our tracker ensured our safety - and was very knowledge about tracking animals for our viewing.

Overall a totally awesome experience. I highly recommend and would choose Tydon Safaris is/when I return to South Africa.

Room Tip: All accommodations are upscale tents - some for couples and some for families. Includes private bac...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Westbury, New York
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Tydon has raised the bar on hospitality, service and client expereince to new heights! Saying that they care if you have a good time is an understatement! It feels like you are at home with family, with the yummy food, good conversation by the camp fire, and the all day safari trips!
It is worth every penny. Dont be surprised if you hear a pride of lions roaring at night, or a bull in the bush behind or tent or even find lepord prints on the campsites.. it is an amazing yet safe expereince. Our safari was incredible!! We got to be inches away from the animals and got to really experience it up close and personal. The guides take the time out to explain everything to you and are more than happy to answer any questions you have.. no matter how many times they must have heard it they respond like its the first.

We looked into several safaries before booking and I am sure none can match the personal touch Tydon offers!
I have never seen an organization where from the owner (Gavin), to the guides (Debbie and Liam) to everyone else involved show the same level of care, courtesy, and personal touch. It is really a great and unique experience!! We hope to do it again!!!

Room Tip: They have 2 camps and we stayed at the 'smaller' one which is in the wilderness with wild an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple