“Varty camp”

Londolozi Private Game Reserve
joburg
“Varty camp”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed at the Varty camp. Accommodation was excellent especially spacious bathrooms and private pools. Food variety and quality was great. Most importantly, the game viewing was excellent. Almost guaranteed big five viewing. This time of year was good to see many new born animals. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank safferjoburg
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear safferjoburg,

Thank you for visiting Londolozi and taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased that you experienced such good game viewing and found the lodge and food to be excellent. Looking forward to welcoming you back here soon!

Much love,
The Londolozi Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Knysna, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed December 10, 2012

All the animals are dropping their young and there are literally hundreds of babies. We had amazing Leopard and Lion sightings and many surprise cameos including the elusive Wild Dogs.. There is water everywhere and the bush is green and lush. All the Lodges are unique and all offer great experiences. We loved every minute of the six days we were there. Thank you The Londolozi Family.

Room Tip: All of the 5 lodges are beautiful and each offer something different. We love Tree and Pioneer.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Karin M,

We agree with you, December is fantastic time to be at Londolozi! We are so pleased that you had such great sightings of lion, leopard and even wild dog.

We hope to have you back to stay with us in the every near future and, of course, see you on our blog until then.

new york
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at Londolozi's Founder's Camp as part of our honeymoon. It was spectacular- an experience of a lifetime. Most surprising to us is that Londolozi is run by and like a family-- staying there is an interactive experience of getting to know the incredibly fun and knowledgeable camp managers and rangers and the Londolozi community. A safari is not a traditional hotel-going experience where you check in and are left alone to entertain yourself- that's certainly an option, but we found to the contrary that what we loved was the communal feeling (which is why people weep when they have to leave!). Everyone feels like family after just a few days, even the animals that the rangers know by name. Of course that's partly impeccable training and service at play, but it feels authentic because the people who work there are passionate about the animals and land they share in.

We had a hard time deciding on where in Kruger to go, but after some help on TripAdvisor's forums, we picked Londolozi because it is the largest and best territory within Sabi Sands. Having just returned, we truly believe that we had the best possible game viewing experience: on our first day, we saw a leopard cub hunting a mongoose, a cheetah eating a baby impala, elephant, rhino, hippo, lions, giraffe, hyena and learned about so much more- birds, bugs and behavior!! The camps themselves are authentic to the place, which means they are luxurious (our room was gorgeous, but there will always be bugs- you're in the bush!) but not groomed- people looking for a poolside Four Seasons experience may not fit here. It truly seemed to be more about the animals and the incredible landscape, which we appreciated. The cost is certainly high, but the second you get there it feels worth every penny. The experience of seeing animals in the wild may not exist even for the next generation, and you cant put a price on it.

The only negative thing I could possibly say about the place is that depending on the camp you are in, you may have neighbors closer than you think-- our room (No 10) adjoined what we think was a service area and we could hear quite a bit of noise, so we didn't feel as private as we would have liked. If you want total privacy and isolation, talk to them about which camp is best for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear goa20,

Thank you for visiting us on your honeymoon, we are so incredibly pleased that the experience was so special for the two of you and that you felt it was worth every penny.

We also appreciate your feedback about the distance between rooms and the noise you experienced as it is definitely something which we want to improve on.

The entire Londolozi family looks forward to welcoming you back and we hope to see you on our blog until then.

Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

This is an amazing place I feel privalged to have been able to visit. Awesome game, service and food. Couldn't ask for more!
Rangers are really good and professional and went out of her way to let us see the big five and also get some great pics.
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Maheemk,

Thank you for visiting Londolozi and writing us such a great review. We are very pleased that you had such a great time look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Vail, Colorado
Reviewed December 5, 2012

It is hard to add anything to what everyone says about Londolozi. I had been to another Sabi Sand game lodge two years earlier (it was my first safari experience) and thought it was phenomenal but Londolozi just blew them out of the water. The only thing was they don't have a fancy schmancy building on the air strip where they meet you with champagne, but the drive to the camps is so brief that it made no difference at all. And I was greeted with said champagne by my two Tree Camp managers Lisa and Mark when I got out of the vehicle.

The magic of Londolozi is that everywhere you turn they exceed expectations but without being ostentatious. The staff is just so exceptional and what I personally love there is that they do not act like nervous servants—they act like family taking care of family and they get to know you if you let them or they give you privacy and space if you prefer that.

I actually had the unique experience of having Tree Camp to myself for my first 4 nights and when I learned that upon arrival I was nervous that it would mean I would be smothered by the staff. But that was definitely not the case. They listen to you even when you don't realize you are saying things that give them information and it was just amazing to feel heard and my needs and preferences anticipated because they were actually paying attention and not doing what they thought I would want or what they think "most people" want.

I am not a foodie but I loved the food and how they listened to all my idiosyncrasies and even when I never asked they accommodated my strange palate. Everything was so fresh and vibrant and delicious. My final night they did a big South African feast in the Boma and it was just phenomenally good.

The surprises they presented were amazing (I won't get into the details so you can be surprised when you visit!). They blew me away every day with a surprise dining location or a unique adventure in the bush.

I really enjoyed hanging out around the fire after dinner in the Boma at Varty Camp my first several nights with all the staff. Most of the guests had gone to bed. It just felt like family. One of the Rangers plays guitar and was singing and there were stories floating around about bush encounters and travel and places the staff had lived. It was a real small world experience for me when I discovered that my Ranger had just been to Vail/Beaver Creek a month earlier to ski and there were several others who had lived and worked in Vail/Beaver Creek and Aspen in the past.

I highly recommend the Village visit and going to the school with Witness and talking to the kids. He is an amazing man with an amazing story if you get a chance to hang out with him. And your guides and trackers, too. A lot of the Shangaan have fascinating stories and backgrounds. The kids are really excited to meet people from the rest of the world and learn what you do for a career. One high school girl approached me and introduced herself and proclaimed "I want to be an American Pharmacist!". I asked her a bit about that and encouraged her to pursue that as a very good job/career in South Africa and should afford her the income to eventually travel.

The game viewing is unmatched and the terrain around Londolozi so beautiful with the Sand River running through it.

I believe that everyone should put Safari on their Bucket List—it will change you in ways you have no idea. And Londolozi is worth every penny. Sure, it would be nice if it weren't quite so costly but at the end of the day the value is definitely there in my opinion.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Wabbajack,

WOW! Thank you for such a kind and detailed review and of course for visting us at Londolozi. We are incredibly pleased that your experience with Mark, Lisa, the Tree Camp and Varty camp teams was so great and that you loved everything from the game drives to the food to the adventures!

We sincerely hope to see you back at Londolozi in the near future and of course on our blog until then!

Much love and thank you again,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We spent the tail end of our African adventure in Londolozi as part of our Backroads tour. It was absolutely outstanding. The food was very good but more than that it was the whole experience. Fantastic rooms (see pictures attached), we stayed in the Tree Camp. As an interior designer I could not stop taking photos of the whole place, just loved every detail used. The staff were tremendous and made you feel like part of their family. The balcony on our room sat over top of the reserve so monkeys drank from our plunge pool as Elephants and Kudo walked by. I had to keep pinching myself that I was really there. Truly a trip of a lifetime. The rangers that took us out every day for our morning and afternoon/evening game drives were super knowledgeable and managed to get us to see all of the big 5 and more! I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: They are all fantastic, pictures on their website are very good. I really enjoyed Tree Camp though...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Tracy K,

Thank you for visiting us with Backroads, we are so pleased that you had such a fantastic experience and were made to feel like part of the family! Your pics are stunning and we hope that you are able to bring some African inspiration into your interior design back home.

We look forward to welcoming you and Backroads in the near future and seeing you on our blog until then.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and i have been to the Sabie Sands on more than 10 occasions and have stayed at many different luxury camps.This was our second time at Londolozi where we had one of the best trips ever.We were there in mid October and stayed for 4 nights.We stayed at Founders Camp this time which was better than Varty where we stayed last year.The rooms were very spacious ,clean and they were very bright compared to some other camps.There was a wonderful view of the river from our room and the outdoor shower was fantastic giving a nice open but private view of the surrounding bush and were fortunate to use it in comfortable weather every day.The plunge pool was cold but very refreshing!The camp managers Phil and Cry were wonderful and always seemed to be available if needed.Our butler too was marvellous ,but also knew when to leave us our privacy.The food was excellent with an excellent variety and the staff went out of their way to cater for my lactose intolerance.We were very fortunate to have Sandrose as our ranger who has more than 20 years experience at Londolozi with a tremendous tracker Lucky.Sandrose`s knowledge of the bush was encyclopedic and had an amazing ability to keep positioning the landrover to create the best camera angles.He also changed positions often without any prompting from the photographers!!The game viewing is always unpredictable which is part of the excitement of the bush,but we had the most incredible game viewing this time.On one morning drive we saw all the big five,we were fortunate to see the male cheetah in the area on 3 different occasions.We were able to see and identify 10 different leopards thanks to Sandrose and Lucky and get great photo`s of 7 of them.Another highlight was seeing the Tsalala pride approach and make contact with the 4 lions of the Majingilane coalition and watch the young cub be very active with both the lionesses and the lions.There was great elephant viewing of a breeding herd with babies of different ages and off course the rhinos in the area are fortunately doing well seeing 12 on one day.The weather was not ideal with a fair amount of rain ,but still managed to get out on every drive.We were able to identify over 100 bird species as well.Thanks very much to every one at Londolozi,you are the best.We most definately plan to be back next year.....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank anthony g
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Anthony G,

Thank you for choosing Londolozi as your destination for this trip, it was fantastic to welcome you back and we are so pleased that this was one of your best trips ever.

I will be sure to pass on your kind review to all the staff at Founders Camp as well as Sandros and Lucky. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back next year.