“Of all my travels, Londolozi holds that special place in my heart”

Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Carefree, Arizona
“Of all my travels, Londolozi holds that special place in my heart”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I don't even know where to begin. I always wanted to go to Africa and experience a photographic safari, after all, everyone I had ever talked to that had gone to Africa said it was the trip of a lifetime. So my expectations were high.

After much research I decided on Londolozi. I know it sounds cliche' but it truly was a life changing experience - the moment I arrived I knew I was "home". Our ranger Alfie and tracker Bennett introduced us to the wildlife of Londolozi. Every game drive was an adventure and an experience. They allowed us to sit as long as we wanted, not only photographing but taking the time to watch and appreciate these animals in their natural state, to better understand the balance of nature and realize how very civilized animals are, they do not kill for the sake of killing there is purpose, attachment and beauty in all living creatures. Thank you Londolozi and the model you set for preserving this for us and generations to come.

I could go on about the wonderful staff, fabulous accommodations, great food, amazing scenery, etc., but I think the other reviews have covered those points extremely well and I agree with them all. I tell everyone I can, "if you travel only one more time in your life, travel to South Africa and Londolozi...the people, the animals and the land will hold your heart forever"

I will return.

Room Tip: Stayed at Varty Camp, looked at all the others, all are wonderful
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Dear cowenevett,

WOW! what an incredible review and even better to hear how life changing your stay at Londolozi was. I will be sure to pass it on to Alfie and Bennet who will be delighted to hear that your safari with them was so special and rewarding.

Thank you for posting your pictures as well, they are beautiful and it looks like you saw a wide variety of game and special animals. We cannot wait for your return!

The Londolozi Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Novato, California
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have been to many other safari camps during our 5 trips to Africa, but the one we go back to is Londolozi in the Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve. The range and variety of wildlife is amazing, the rangers and trackers are the most outgoing and knowledgeable, and the sheer number of lion prides and leopards that traverse the area is more than we've ever seen in any other camp! Sign up for their blog and follow it for awhile - fantastic sightings and stories, keeping us wanting to go back. The accomodations, the food, the "family," the conservation work all make it a very special place. Yes, it's pricey but if you have only one chance to go on safari, make it Lonodolozi - you wont' be disappointed!!

Room Tip: We love Tree Camp, but all the camps are different and distinctive. Study their website and pick th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Hoonihoo,

Thanks for your fantastic review and returning to Londolozi time and again. We are very pleased to hear that your experiences with us have been 'the best' and that you have signed up to our blog to keep you informed and entertained when you are not on safari with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Redwood City, California
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

Just left Londolozi this afternoon after 5 awe inspiring days spent at this beautiful place. Right from the first hello from Mark and Tresta at Tree camp , I was made to feel like part of the family there. Greeted with a cold wet towel and glass of SA Bubbly, the welcome could not have been better. My accommodations at Tree Camp were incredible. I had a whole house to myself. The house itself (no.6) had the most amazing view over the bush and Sand River below from my very own deck with its own plunge pool. After an amazing lunch , I met the super smart James Crookes, ranger/ guide extraordinaire who taught me all about the animals, birds and vegetation in Londolozi over the next 4 days. I also was fortunate enough to have one of South Africa's top trackers , Richard Swele as my vehicles tracker which was an incredible honor. I saw every animal I wanted to see during my 5 days there and learnt so much about their habits and behaviors from my great teachers. The food was great and the evening entertainment by the ladies choir of Londolozi was pure magic. I bought gifts at the workers craft market and for the rest , enjoyed relaxing afternoons between games drives at my pool in the warm winter sunshine. I felt sad leaving today as these great people became my family for 4-5 days and so I promise to return in 2013 with my significant other. A heartfelt Thank-you to all at Londolozi for making my vacation so memorable and especially relaxing.

• Stayed May 2012
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear RainbowRotors,

Wow! Thank you for such a fantastic review and for visiting us at Londolozi. We are just so pleased that your time with us at Tree Camp was so incredible and that you learnt so much from James and Richard...they are both brilliant naturalists to spend time in the bush with.

What is especially important to us is the fact that you felt like your were a part of the Londolozi family, which you are and most certainly will remain going forward. We sincerely look forward to seeing you back here in 2013 for more game drives, magical food and relaxing times!

Thanks again,
Love,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We recently spent 4 nights at Pioneer Camp at Londolozi. It was our first safari and a wonderful experience. The Staff were exceptional and everything was perfect! Thanks, Tom, Jerry, Trish, Sarah and the rest of the crew. We are looking forward to returning for another wonderful holiday. We highly recommend Londolozi.
Lisa & Wayne from Perth, Western Australia.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Lisa and Wayne,

Thank you for choosing Londolozi for your first safari experience. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the experience so much and that you found the staff and Pioneer Camp to be exceptional.

We greatly appreciate the recommendation and sincerely look forward to seeing you back at Londolozi in the near future.

Wilmslow
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Granite Suites and had an unforgettable experience!!! After studying your blog and the reviews we chose Londolozi for the family atmosphere and the conservation work they do. We were not disappointed and all of the staff went out of their way to make our time there as magical as possible. Our safaris were everything we could have wished for, seeing lions, leopards, rhino, buffalo, elephants etc. etc. all at close range and particular thanks to Adam and Life for everything we learnt from them, which was a lot! It was clear that a lot of hard work had gone into restoring the camp after the floods. Thanks also to Kirsty for looking after us and to Witness for the tour of the village which is well worth taking. Best holiday experience ever and are already planning our next trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jonneeboy
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear jonneeboy,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We are incredibly pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that the game viewing was so terrific. Adam and Life are brilliant in the bush and we are glad that they were able to pass some of their knowledge onto you.

Your three pictures of Granite Suites and the sunset are beautiful, thank you for uploading them. You are correct that a lot of time has gone into restoring the camps post flood and it is reassuring to hear how much you enjoyed your time there.

I will be sure to pass on your review to Adam, Life Kirsty, Witness and the rest of the Granite Suites staff.

Thanks again, much love,
The Londolozi Family.
Yountville, California
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

We just finished three nights at Londolozi and I have to say it was the best vacation we have ever taken. The facilities were just unbelievable (we stayed in tree camp) and the staff was incredible both from a friendliness and a service standpoint. No detail was missed and the staff spent a lot of time thinking of creative surprises to keep the trip fresh and keep you entertained during the drives and also at the lodge. They also offered incredible flexibility which enabled you to tailor the drives and times if you felt like sleeping in one morning. It was also a great touch to be awakened each morning by a knock at the door with fresh coffee or tea and a small snack before you headed out on your drive.

While I think a lot of the other lodges are equally luxurious (we can only speak to two), because Londolozi is family owned and focused on conservation and the local community every staff member we encountered in any role seemed to truly enjoy working there.

We were INCREDIBLY lucky on our game drives and have to say our ranger and tracker (Rex and Life) were amazing. We are already planning a return trip which can't come soon enough.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank NapaTJ
Dear NapaTJ,

Thanks for a great review and for visiting us. Its wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed the stay with us and what great value you found Rex and Life to be. I will be sure to pass on your review to them.

We can't wait to see you back here on your return trip, be sure to follow us on our blog until then.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I have not ever stayed at a Lodge where everything was just perfect. From the divinely appointed suites to the game drives I cannot heap enough praise on everyone. From the staff who were ready to go the extra mile at every turn to the animals that played along for sightings.
We were privileged to be among the first photographers using the specialised photographic vehicle. This was an experience well worth while and will spoil any photographers future trips where they will not have this vehicle. The Ranger and tracker were topnotch and the sightings were amazing. Anything from mating leopards to lion kills and wild dog kills all in the space of only two days. I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank christine l
londolozigamereserve, General Manager at Londolozi Private Game Reserve, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Christine,

Thank you for such a positive and wonderful review. It was fantastic to have you at Londolozi to be the 'Star of Your Own Safari' and just as great to see the brilliant images you captured during your time here. It was so fitting that you had the incredible sightings that you did whilst experiencing our Specialised Photographic Safari vehicle. We look forward to featuring you and your images on our blog in the very near future.

I will be sure to pass on your review to the staff at Tree Camp as well as to Jess and Jeffrey who enjoyed guiding and tracking for you as much as you enjoyed being there.

Once again, thank you for the kind review and for having such a wonderful time at Londolozi.

Much Love,

Rich (and the Londolozi Family)