“Great place for Brunch”

Dining options: Breakfast
Jemez Springs NM
“Great place for Brunch”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had been wanting to check this place out, and the availability of a Groupon convinced me to give it a try for brunch. So glad we did. I had the Crab Cake Benedict and was delighted that my request that my eggs be well done was honored. The crab cakes had some zip to them and were absolutely delicious. My husband ordered Rancheros Del Rio and was equally happy. He didn't think he could finish the huge portion, but it was so good he couldn't resist every last bite. Service was prompt, other than removing our plates after we had finished. I also very much enjoyed a Raspberry Bellini. I plan to come back for dinner one night.

• Visited February 2013

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Unexpectedly good”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Okay, huh? This place is at the far end of the earth, in the middle of nowhere, located inside of the visitor's center of a housing development. It's the size of a postage stamp. How then, is it conceivable, that this place showcases an awesome menu with some of the best executed food I've had since moving to the Albuquerque area.

Seriously, if this place seats 40 people I'd be surprised. The appetizer's are plentiful, but run of the mill. Still, the red chile hummus is slightly sweet and very tasty. My only complaint would be the insufficient amount of toast points that accompanied it. There are a few salads to choose from, though nothing that stood out as overly interesting. The dinner entrees on the other hand, were very interesting. There are a couple of fish dishes, the found everywhere salmon and a more interesting trout dish. There are a couple of Mexican based dishes including a Carne Adovada and Fajitas that sounded delicious. Then there are the less often found offerings including a pork chop, duck confit, pork belly and a seafood sofrito. My husband had the duck, which included 2 full thighs and legs over mashed potatoes with carrot peels. The duck, while slightly dry had a delectable crispy skin and an outstanding port reduction. I went for the pork belly. Delicious, unctuous, smoky pork with a orange marmalade/green chile "laquer" which added a lovely sweetness to the smoky and salty pork. Though I will say that the green chile could have been a bit more prevalent. The dish could have benefited from a slight bit of heat. The pork belly was served over pureed butternut squash and wilted spring greens that added a nice bitterness to the sweetness of the squash. Portions are also substantial, definitely getting your money's worth.

For dessert there were only 2 offerings. A poached pear served with vanilla ice cream and a panna cotta with raspberry sauce. The pear was good, but lacked flavor (hint: try poaching it in that port reduction you used with the duck). The panna cotta was delicious, slightly sweet and creamy with a slight bite from the raspberry sauce.

Service was good, but a little slow. Actually, I think it was the kitchen that was a little slow as opposed to any fault of the servers. In their defense however, I will say that several tables seemed to come in around the same time so I'm betting the kitchen was slightly overwhelmed. By the time we were finishing dinner around 8:00PM, the place was packed, and several tables had turned over since we arrived.

What I'm really not clear on is what this place is doing in the location they are in. Had it not been for a Living Social coupon that my husband purchased (failing to check the location first), we never would have found this place. The chef clearly has some chops and I wonder how long he/she will last at this out of the way location. Regardless, I will willingly make the trip to eat there again.

• Visited February 2013
Corrales, New Mexico
“wow, wow, wow”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Like others, we had a Living Social coupon and decided on an early dinner. Driving out to Mariposa is like driving to Tamaya or Placitas but what a view of the city and Sandia. We had the salmon and also the seafood pasta with crab cakes as an appetizer. Amazing presentation; wonderful blend of tastes and textures. Service was attentive and the atmosphere lively. For a romantic and/or small bistro experience, Timbuctu is the place. We'll definitely be back.

• Visited January 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Amazing Brunch”
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Had brunch here today with family. Very relaxed atmosphere. Awesome views. The brunch selection was great. We had the Rancheros del Rio and the Classic Breakfast. Both were prepared very well. The red chile was very tasty and the house made chorizo was quite a surprise. The drive out to Mariposa in Rio Rancho was definitely worth it!

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Love this Place!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went there last night on a Living Social deal. It's a small place, and was packed! I was glad we made a reservation. The service was very attentive and the food was gourmet and to die for! I was a little worried ordering salmon in New Mexico, but the chef did it perfectly. Very flavorful and tender, the risotto was creamy and delicious with a little spiciness, and the asparagus was perfectly cooked with still a bit of snap in it. I would definitely order that meal again. My hubby had the sliced sirloin, and his also came beautifully presented, perfectly cooked and delicious! We'll definitely be back.

• Visited November 2012