“Go for the beer and atmosphere, but eat somewhere else”

Fat Squirrel Pub & Grille
Ranked #19 of 124 Restaurants in Rio Rancho
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Do you know what Americans traveling abroad say about English food? It's bland, greasy, and overcooked. Unfortunately the Fat Squirrel reproduces those undesirable aspects of English cuisine on a regular basis.

It's too bad, because on first impression, the Fat Squirrel looks like a fun place. There are tons of different beers on tap and the bar patrons look as if they are enjoying themselves. However...if you wish to sit at a table and eat lunch or dinner with your family, be prepared for a different experience. I've been to this restaurant a few times. The first time (when it opened), the food was delicious and the service was great. The second time, I brought my extended family and was appalled. All of the food was bland and overcooked, and the roast beef tasted rancid. The waitress visited our table only once and was rude. We gave the Fat Squirrel a third try, hoping our last experience was just a fluke. Not so--at least three of the items we tried to order off the menu were "no longer being served". When we finally did find something that was being served, it took over an hour to come out of the kitchen and was just as bad as the last time. We ordered all ordered meat dishes and did not have the fish and chips.

The pub is probably worth visiting if you like beer and feel like socializing. A lot of people seem to like the fish and chips, so perhaps that is something FS does well? I personally prefer the Turtle Mountain Brewing Company (I think I heard that it was owned by the same people?). It has the same fun atmosphere, but the food is much better.

2  Thank saramun

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had terrible service. The waiter did not return to our table until he brought the check.They do not serve mixed drinks just beer and wine. The fish was dry and the fries just were not good. We live 10 minutes from this pub and will not be returning.

3  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Fat Squirrel Pub has the best Fish and Chips....I am not really a fish and chip person but we always seem to get an order whenever we go. They also have good rueben and monte cristo sandwiches. Open bar area...can accommodate a large group or you may be sitting with several others (a chance to make new friends:))

Reviewed April 16, 2014

The fist & chips are really good - which is saying a lot with no ocean nearby. Don't miss the sweet potato fries!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I went there for a Reuben sandwich and it was inedible. The meat was probably a few years old and the service was just about as slow. I told the server and she gave me a $5 off for my next visit that I threw in the trash since I will NEVER be going back to this place again. Even the fries with the sandwich were inedible and it seemed liked they were also cooked the day before.

Avoid this place.