“New managers are awesome!'”

Woodlands on the River
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red River
Woodlands on the River
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here again the first weekend the new managers took over, and I am very impressed! I was nervous because of some of the reviews, but Denise and her husband are amazing!! It is my understanding that they actually live on site now. They were so accomadating, always ready to help. The condo was very clean. The creek was just outside our window. Very pleasant! They went above and beyond to make my husband, daughter and me feel welcome. Please folks, give them another chance. You won't be disappointed. This is the place to stay in Red River!

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Deedee0410

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were blessed to get to spend a week in Red River for my mother's 80th birthday. We stayed at The Woodlands and we were so pleased! Our room overlooked the Red River and it was like a slice of heaven on earth. We enjoyed watching the ducks on the water and the hummingbirds coming up to the feeder hanging on our deck. The location was great because it was not in the midst of the town and it was quiet but we could get into town quickly. The place was so clean and everything was nicely laid out for our use! We met the new managers as we were leaving and thanked them for taking such good care of making sure everything was so nice for our stay! We highly recommend staying at The Woodlands!
The Brooks ~ Austin, TX

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank TABBrooks
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a difficult review to publish; so much so that I've put it off for several months. My wife and I have stayed at Woodlands two or three times a year for more than two decades; in the beginning renting directly from friends, followed by enjoyable rentals made through prior management, but it's now necessary to move on.
While the river-front location remains a positive; second only to the Valley Condos in Red River, the condition of condos we, and trusted friends, have rented in recent years has steadily declined; still acceptable in most instances, but the attitude of current management is what has prompted us to give up. In contrast to the past, we've always been able to specify the unit we wanted, but now, it seems to be "go where we assign you" attitude...and often there is no response to online reservation requests, phone messages nor emails.
For those willing to give Woodlands a try, here is a brief synopsis of the project: First, there are six buildings consisting of 4 condos each. Vacationers desiring a river front location should definitely avoid Building 5; it has river views blocked by building 6. Building #2 has a playground directly between the building and the river. Units 1 & 2, of all buildings are ground level and subject to the noise, charistic of older wood frame construction, coming from upstairs. We've received complaints from downstairs neighbors despite doing everything but tip-toeing barefoot.
So, if anyone remains interested in Woodlands, and succeeds in contacting the office, units 3 or 4 in buildings 1,3,4 & 6 are your best bets; but, if possible, secure a written confirmation that specifies your rental number. Should your request not be honored, having a confirm may increase your chances of a favorable "dispute of charge" with your credit card company.
As this is written, Woodlands is rated a woeful, and embarrasing #17 out of 19 alternatives in Red River. I honestly believe that is too negative, mainly due to location, and cling to the hope that updating the units and grounds; along with improved management, will someday lead to recovery of the top 3 Red River rating Woodlands once deserved.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BeachesMountains
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My experience was like the previous poster. Last time I was there the pond was full of fish and the property was well managed by a very nice couple. This time the pond was less than half full of water, dirty and a few dead fish around the bank.
There was one woman who was helpful and nice in the office. When she wasn't there a young lady was at the office. She was very unprofessional and argumentative. Not something I want to listen to on vacation.
The cleaning staff works very hard and nice but the condos are run down and definitely not worth the price. I would look somewhere else for a place to stay in Red River.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank texasyid
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I'll make a list to keep this simple. We stayed at Woodlands on the River 1. "Fully Stocked Fishing Pond" is a mossy puddle with a few 6 -8 in fish floating around, 2. The pool was mossy and filthy. When I told Lisa Curry, the manager, she told me it was that way because it rained. 3. My daughter found spaghetti behind her bed. I was told that "no place on the planet do the cleaning people clean behind the furniture every time". 4. The hide-a-bed was broken, so my sons slept on the couches. 5. The "1/2 bath" in our unit was literally a toilet and a wall mounted sink inside of a closet. An adult could barely fit in there. 6. My favorite, the blanket that had a...AHEM...DNA sample left on it. Lisa Curry suggested that perhaps it was yogurt, or toothpaste, and informed me that they do not wash all of the blankets in between guests, that the blankets were folded and in the closet by the last guests, so they did not wash them. She also shouted the question, "Are you a scientist? Did you do a DNA test?! How do you know what it was?!" Summing all this up, the morning after our arrival, we went down to the office, and left a note with all of our concerns and a message for the girl to pass on to the manager, We never received a call or anything, She told us to put the blanket outside with our dirty towels and housekeeping would pick it up. We returned about 4:30 or so, and they were still sitting there, so we took it to the office. The girl there was just filling in for the day and could not help us, but was going to pass this all on to her manager, Upon checkout, the regular desk girl tried to call Lisa, but she was busy, so she gave us Lisa's direct number. I tried to call TWICE and my husband tried once. The girl would send the call to Lisa's office and it would ring and ring.... After a few hours, Lisa called me back, yelled at me for "harassing her office workers", calling FIVE times, told me that I was no longer welcome in any of her properties and that I was "on a list", and made excuses for every single problem we had. She also asked me several times why we hadn't come into her office in town. I told her that I assumed that leaving several messages for her to contact me would be sufficient, I have stayed in a lot of places, from total dumps to very nice acommodations, and I have never been treated as rudely as I was by Lisa Curry. In the end, she said she would comp us $100 back, on our $600+ bill. She immediately emailed me statements for this, but the $100 has yet to be credited back on my card. I was shocked to be shouted at and berated by a manager in the hospitality industry, I really expected just a simple "So sorry this was your experience, what could I do to improve your chances of staying with us again?"
Not so much...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JB7878
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was a bit nervous booking here because there are no reviews anywhere but there were not a ton of options open by the time we booked our trip. We were pleasantly surprised. The property is about a mile from town which may be a drawback for some but we actually preferred it as everything is so cramped in town. My kids had a fantastic time playing in the snow behind our unit. It was really very beautiful with the snow and the river running through the property. Our unit (4-3) was well stocked and comfortable. The kitchen had almost everything we needed to cook a few basic meals. We did not have much experience with the property management so cannot really comment on it. Our keys were available at check in and check was easy. We would definitely stay there again. We really enjoyed the location!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family